2. It's quiet.
3. It's beautiful.
5. It sucks.
6. It isn't silent.
7. I skipped 4.
8. It sucks.
9. Now you're :mrgreen:

ImageImageImageImage

If you didn't notice the Axe deodorant in the background, you're officially a nerd. There's nothing more to say about this build, any questions? :mrgreen:

- Lode

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 am

FIRST!

also what audio card are you using?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:20 am

ddrj wrote:FIRST!

also what audio card are you using?
LOL :mrgreen:

I use this FireWire interface: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO.html

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:21 am

Is there the famous GeForce 8400 GS in use?

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 am

thejamppa wrote:Is there the famous GeForce 8400 GS in use?
YES INDEED! :mrgreen:

It's the ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M ( http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NamCbx9IwqvXUIog ) however I paired it with the Coolink SWAP, used a ZALMAN adapter to lower voltage and now it is inaudible, but cools nicely down to 45C when idle. Also, if you look closely the video RAMs have ZALMAN ZM-RHS1 heat sinks to aid on ULTIMATE OVERCLOCKING :mrgreen:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:00 am

LodeHacker wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Is there the famous GeForce 8400 GS in use?
YES INDEED! :mrgreen:

It's the ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M ( http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NamCbx9IwqvXUIog ) however I paired it with the Coolink SWAP, used a ZALMAN adapter to lower voltage and now it is inaudible, but cools nicely down to 45C when idle. Also, if you look closely the video RAMs have ZALMAN ZM-RHS1 heat sinks to aid on ULTIMATE OVERCLOCKING :mrgreen:
I would probably used TR HR-03 rev. A with 6-hole adapter that is currently extra on my shelf. When you go overboard, you should go with style ^^

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am

Tsk tsk, jamppa mah boi, don't you remember when I was asking for a low profile cooler? That 8400GS was actually installed in a slim PC case, but then after getting rid of most of it, I had that 8400GS waiting to be installed in my main rig, which previously housed a Matrox.

For a DAW you only need a high quality 2D output and I was first considering Quadro, but the 8400GS is fine. After all, it is ULTRA UNIVERSAL, SUPER FAST, EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE and INSANE VALUE. :mrgreen:

So I did mah homework better, jamppa tsk tsk :twisted:
(mah boi is reference to ytp, look it up)

colm

Post by colm » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17 am

nice, except for the axe. I have a rash looking at it..if one needs deodorent in the first place..well, lets not go there... :?

I have never tried the glass side boxes, plexi or whatever, it is like wanting to look at a nuclear bomb..I am non-deodorent strange like that.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:37 am

colm wrote:nice, except for the axe. I have a rash looking at it..if one needs deodorent in the first place..well, lets not go there... :?
Axe is like overclocking real life, the boost in performance when talking to feminine objects is very welcomed :D

I do shower daily, but work out often so need a deodorant that has a nice n fresh scent and is anti-perspirant :mrgreen:

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: LodePC

Post by new2spcr » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:05 am

Nice. Love the way you suspended your HD.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:33 am

new2spcr wrote:Nice. Love the way you suspended your HD.
Thanks, it's really quiet now and my failing attempt to do cable management helped a bit with temperatures, but I'm not proud of this build :?

Never really been actually, when upgrading something I'm like "ZOMG!!1!!1!11! this THE bEsT Pc In TeH WÖRLD!!!1!!11", but then a few days later I find something to complain about again and the cycle continues... Now I have this utter büllshït, but it works for its intended purpose so I guess there's nothing bad after all.

Can't resist, must say this again: NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS FTW!!!11111111!!!1!!!!!1111 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:57 pm

LodeHacker wrote:Tsk tsk, jamppa mah boi, don't you remember when I was asking for a low profile cooler? That 8400GS was actually installed in a slim PC case, but then after getting rid of most of it, I had that 8400GS waiting to be installed in my main rig, which previously housed a Matrox.

For a DAW you only need a high quality 2D output and I was first considering Quadro, but the 8400GS is fine. After all, it is ULTRA UNIVERSAL, SUPER FAST, EXTREMELY AFFORDABLE and INSANE VALUE. :mrgreen:

So I did mah homework better, jamppa tsk tsk :twisted:
(mah boi is reference to ytp, look it up)
Nah, I am allowed to get forgiveness for forgetting things. After all I would forget my head unless it would be on my shoulders attached at least for now ^^

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:37 pm

You didn't post your system specifications. Do you expect me to trawl through all your posts? :wink:

Glad to see you are keeping FDD alive. Long live the FDD! :lol:

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 am

Shamgar wrote:You didn't post your system specifications. Do you expect me to trawl through all your posts? :wink:

Glad to see you are keeping FDD alive. Long live the FDD! :lol:
Yah, the floppy disk drive is something special. Never will I put it in the bin! If it is of interest, that floppy sticking out of it holds an ancient version of Lemmings :mrgreen:

Okay okay, lemme tell ya my SUPER PC specification :P

Motherboard: ASUS P5K WS
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (B2 stepping)
GPU: Make a guess :mrgreen:
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz
PSU: Nexus NX-8040 400W modular PSU
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 320GB
ODD: Samsung SH-S223Q
FDD: Sony?

Anything I forgot to mention? :mrgreen:
EDIT: That green PCI card below the graphics card is an early revision of the Hammerfall DSP sound card. Pretty rare nowadays :P

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:53 am

I have the non window silver aluminium version of that case - made by SuperFlower :D

Case is packed away in the box, I sometimes use the removable motherboard tray for testing motherboards would you believe :D

I paid £125 for it in 2002 :shock:

Sounded like a noisy helicopter with all six fans on so I started computer silencing, actually bought a Barracuda before I started quietening the rest of the computer.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:56 am

The removable motherboard tray is awesome indeed :mrgreen:

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Post by new2spcr » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:13 am

LodeHacker wrote: when upgrading something I'm like "ZOMG!!1!!1!11! this THE bEsT Pc In TeH WÖRLD!!!1!!11", but then a few days later I find something to complain about again and the cycle continues...
Why, I'm affected by the same symptoms as you.
But I can't afford digging much deeper into my pockets right now. That's an effective medicine. But it sure does itch! :)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:08 pm

new2spcr wrote:
LodeHacker wrote: when upgrading something I'm like "ZOMG!!1!!1!11! this THE bEsT Pc In TeH WÖRLD!!!1!!11", but then a few days later I find something to complain about again and the cycle continues...
Why, I'm affected by the same symptoms as you.
But I can't afford digging much deeper into my pockets right now. That's an effective medicine. But it sure does itch! :)
That configuration you are looking at has been upgraded more than 3 months ago. First it was no money then the girlfriend illness :lol:

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:31 am

I assume you've had that case for a while? I had the same case (in aluminum finish) from Kingwin when I built my first Athlon XP system (2500+, nForce2, Radeon 9700) back in 2003!

Eventually, I bought an Antec SLK3000B for use as my HTPC case (in '04), but then got a dedicated HTPC case from OrigenAE (x11) and switched to the SLK3000B (which is now my WHS after being replaced with an Antec 300) for my gaming machine. I sold the Kingwin case to my brother and he's still using it, but I definitely would call it quiet.

You're right though, that case does suck. The lightweight aluminum construction, removable mobo tray, 80mm fans, windows and poor vent layouts, make it hard to keep cool and quiet. I managed to drill a couple of holes in the HDD cage to allow me to use elastic cord for suspending a couple of HDDs. I replaced all the fans with Yate-Loon medium-speed D80SM-12s and ran them at 7v. It wasn't too bad, but the cooling wasn"t the best. The top vent really messes with the front to back airflow.

I don't miss that case, but the pictures are nostalgic!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 am

This case looks nice, but is not really fun to work with... However one thing why I prefer this over many other cases is the fact that the front bays are smooth and don't have a mesh/grill.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:41 am

For sure, I actually stealth-modded my optical drives by hacking off the sides of the cover plate that I wasn't using. Then I had a full aluminum front. With the black case, it probably isn't as bad, but nothing looks good next to brushed aluminum, except more brushed aluminum.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:17 pm

jhhoffma wrote:For sure, I actually stealth-modded my optical drives by hacking off the sides of the cover plate that I wasn't using. Then I had a full aluminum front. With the black case, it probably isn't as bad, but nothing looks good next to brushed aluminum, except more brushed aluminum.
Amen, brother :mrgreen: