Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gcwebbyuk

Coolermaster 690-II Advanced Build

Post by gcwebbyuk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:23 am

New case should be arriving in the next hour or so..., so stripped down my old case ready! (old build: viewtopic.php?t=57382)

Fired it all up on the desk:
Image :)

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm

All built and working :) took a few hours, but most of that was tidying up and working out the best way to set things up etc.

Ok....

Big rubber feet and 2x Scythe S-Flex SFF21E fans working as intake - currently running at 600ish RPM, these are the only fans held in using screws as the mounts for them can be used for a W/C radiator, so my rubber fan mounts just slipped through the holes. I have used Nexus rubber surrounds though to damp out any vibrations:

1x Coolermaster 140mm A14025-10CB-3BN-F1 fan and 2x Coolermaster A12025-12CB-3BN-F1 fans all working as exhaust. The top mount with the 120mm fan can be swapped for a 140mm, but I had a spare 120mm from my old case. I am still working on the best speed to run these at, may use my Kaze Server on semi to adjust their speed due to temps, but not sure on where I am going to mount the temp probes yet:

I have removed the bottom section of the drive bay as I will only have two drives mounted internally. The front fan is the same as the roof fan (Coolermaster 140mm A14025-10CB-3BN-F1) set as an intake fan, but has a blue LED facility which can be switched on/off by a switch on the top of the case, I have mine off, once again I am still trying to work out the best speed to run this fan at:

Motherboard fitted:

Graphics and Sound card fitted. As this is the Advanced case it comes with the GPU holder. It fits to the back of the case and makes sure the card doesn't sag - this is handy as the card is quite heavy with the Zalman cooler fitted. It can also be fitted with an 80x15mm fan, which I will be doing. I will set this to exhaust rather than intake as suggested due to the fact the Zalman blows air into the case rather than out of the PCI slot like some coolers, I also have a Coolermaster A12025-12CB-5BN-L1 (with the LEDs removed) fan fitted to the side panel as an exhaust fan:

The mess begins - an 80x15mm fan can be connected to this side's panel mounted behind the CPU mount - I won't be fitting one for the time being, but may decide to in the future, not sure how much of a benefit it will be:

Starting to look better:

Cables tidied as good as I am going to do for the moment:

Finished (for the moment), just the side panel to fit, the cables by the PSU are to connect the side panel fan. I am currently using a fan cable splitter and a Zalman Fanmate to control the speed of the GPU cooler and the side panel fan together. I am about to order a Scythe Kaze Q 3.5 to fit below the Kaze server to give me some more fan controls:

Finished! The vertical box on top of the case is my Antec Veris Multimedia Station. It is supposed to be mounted in a 3.5" bay, but I modified it to be used externally. I have adapted the power cable to be able to take power from a USB port (spliced together a USB just using the two power cables). It gives the IR a better range too, as before it was quite awkward to get the remote to pick up. The cable coming from the front of the case at the bottom is a temp probe cable from the Kaze server so I can monitor the room temp - it is roughly 3" outside the case.

The case also has a SATA dock on the top - called X-Dock - which allows you to easily add an external drive, 3.5" or 2.5", I will probably use this for backing up:

I just need to order the Kaze Q 3.5 fan controller, an 80x15mm fan for the GPU retainer, and am considering swapping out the Coolermaster fans for something else, as I can't find much info on them on the net as to their CFM vs their dba. They are all rated at less than 19dba, but thats at full rpm, and not sure how much air they are pushing. However, with all fans on 100% and the side panel on, my Core temp dropped to 24c, removing the side panel and leaving all fans on 100% only managed a further drop of 1c. GPU temp is at 21c with case on or off. External temp at the time of this test was 20.5c.

So any suggestions on other fans or should I stick to the ones I have?

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm

I think I have worked out the right settings for the fans now :? I based the settings on other 120/140mm fans and their best rpm settings for cfm vs dba - so they aren't accurate, but so far seem good.

I have all the 120mms running at 660rpm and 140mms running at 510rpm.

I am getting a working temp (Outlook, Firefox and Nokia Music Player) of around 30c with an ambient temp of 20c. GPU is around 27-28c.

Once again, like in my last case you can hear the hard disks spinning louder than the fans when in normal working mode, although when under load the fans get louder.

I have ordered the Kaze Q 3.5 so I can get rid of the cabling around the PSU and get it all tidied up. I might swap the crystal fan on the side panel with one of the black ones in the case as it looks a bit crappy through the side vent.

I have also ordered 2 80 x 15mm fans from Coolermaster NL store as they seemed to be the only fans I could find that looked like they weren't designed for a disco! While I was there any paying for shipping I ordered some of the sound absorbing material used in the Sileo 500 cases to put on the side panel, mainly behind the HDDs to see if that helps - if it doesn't it is no big deal as the system is pretty damn quiet now anyways :)

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:01 pm

that's a lot of fans! you add more!?

nice system, the new 690 a rocking case! :twisted:

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:11 am

the two on the bottom near the PSU, they seem unnecessary to me. so does having two up on top.

I'd take at least 3 out...or unplug them to see how the noise level changes.

i don't think it'll affect temps very much. maybe a 1-2C rise at the most, but you're well within safe temps to allow that.

did you by any chance block off the side panel vents on this case?

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 am

Thing is, noise level is spot on with all those fans running, as in near silent - near enough for me.

The issue is the hard disk spinning noise - like a fan noise.

I am currently experimenting with different drives.

I have just installed a Scythe Q 3.5 fan controller bellow the Kaze Server, to allow me to set the speed of the 2 S-Flex drives, the Zalman GPU cooler and one other fan - probably the 80mm I will mount on the VGA retention bracket.

I have removed the Coolermaster fan from the side panel though as it looked pretty crappy as it was a crystal fan and the case is black. I may cover the side vents with dust proofing now.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:19 am

Two additions:

1 - Scythe Q 3.5 fan controller:

2 - Replacement Zalman CNPS 9900 fan as the original was starting to "tick" the new fan is from the CNPS 9900 LED so is blue rather than the green one on the original NT version - I prefer it!:

Coolermaster have emailed today to say my 2 80mm fans and sound deadening is on its way...

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Current HDD setup is now:

1 x 1TB 7200.11 swapped for 500GB 7200.12 from Sky HD box - giving more space on the SkyHD box for recordings.

1 x 1TB 7200.11 to be used as a backup drive and connected to the X-Dock when needed.

1 x 320GB WD Blue 2.5" to be used as an archive drive to move old data to that won't need fast read times etc.

The 7200.12 is supposed to be quieter than the 7200.11, as long as there is some form of weight in the centre of the drive to keep pressure on it:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1004-page4.html

I intended to use a rubber eraser as suggested in that article, but didn't need to.

Much quieter now! Just defragging and cleaning up any cr@p on the HDDs and I think I will be happy!

Well until the Coolermaster fans and sound deadening arrive!

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Final modifications:

Sound absorbing material from a Sileo type case fitted to the left hand panel, right behind the hard drives:

80x80x15mm Coolermaster fan:

80x80x15mm Coolermaster fan fitted to VGA retention adaptor:

80x80x15mm Coolermaster fan fitted to right side panel:

Thats it now - its all nice and quiet and temps are good:
OCCT tests taken with a 20c ambient temperature-
100% all fans:
CPU: 23c-53c
GPU: 19c-44c
Silent fan setup, with CPU using SmartFan:
CPU: 24.5c-58c
GPU: 25c-69c

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am

Few new changes to my setup:

I have removed the CNPS9900 NT and replaced with a CNPS10x Flex - this has a Scythe SlipStream Slim (12mmx120mm) fan pushing air through the cooler (had to get a slim to allow all 4 RAM modules to fit), and a Scythe S-Flex E pulling air through the cooler. I have both fans running at 600rpm with SpeedFan increasing this due to CPU temp.

I have removed the honeycomb style fan cover on the exhaust fan mount to allow better airflow.

I have also removed the GV1000 fan and zipstrapped a 120mm Coolermaster fan to it, controlled via Kaze Server - much quieter and much better temps - doesn't exceed 45c on full load, and even then it is "quiet".

My plans for this weekend, subject to parts turning up:

Remove all of the Coolermaster fans.

Replace the rear exhaust and front intake with Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans.

Fit my second S-Flex E fan in the 5.25" drive bays as a second intake fan. (Scythe Q3.5 now removed).

The two gentle typhoon fans are to be controlled by the Scythe Kaze Server on Semi setting with temp probes in the fins of the CNPS10x Flex, and the S-Flex will be on Auto setting (so it switches off when not needed), temp probe also in the cooler's fins.

Replace the Zalman GV1000 fan with 2 x 92mm Gentle Typhoon 2650 rpm fans - controlled by the Kaze Server with a temp probe in the fins of the GV1000.

I am also going to test 2 Nexus BeamAirs - 1 on the 5.25" drive bay fan to direct air straight at the CPU cooler. And 1 on the rear exhaust fan. I have heard good and bad reviews of these, so thought I would try them and see.

I also plan on some more cable tidying, and have bought some white braid and heat shrink to cover the SATA cables (will replace all with red first rather than a mix of red/yellow), and any other cables I can easily do - won't bother with the PSU cables as they are quite tidy. Thought a white/red/black look would be quite smart :oops:

Pics to follow once the work is complete. 8)

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Got home from work and my parts had arrived early!

Set to work with fitting the fans etc and modding the graphics cooler.

The GPU cooler is the biggest bonus - silent running with both fans at 1140rpm, and GPU now idles at:

GPU Temp: 20c
MEMIO: 48.5c
SHADERCORE: 20c
Phase #1: 43c
Phase #2: 51c
Phase #3: 55c

FurMark @ 1920x1080 full screen 8xMSAA
GPU temp: 34c
MEMIO: 56c
SHADERCORE: 27.5c
Phase #1: 59c
Phase #2: 69c
Phase #3: 73c

The best bit was that the fans carried to run at their lowest speed, didn't need to increase to get those temps :)

As for the other fans, well they are great too!

I wasn't able to fit the Nexus BeamAir to the rear fan due to the case hole I cut not being big enough, maybe I will dremmel this out - not sure.

My idle core temp is about 27c and Prime95 wasn't able to get over 45c - although the fans did kick in and got noisy - but thats only at full load - I have set the temp setting on my Kaze Server quite high so they only speed up when really necessary.

Well I am happy :D thats my ideas of watercooling out the window... well for this project at least!

I will take some pics tomorrow or the weekend, as I still have some cable tidying and braiding to do. 8)

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:03 am

Updated pics:

Gigabyte 4870 1GB with Modded Zalman GV1000 Cooler - replaced fan with 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 92mm 2650rpm fans - controlled via Kaze Server with temp probe in fins of cooler:

White braided cables - more to be completed soon:

Zalman CNPS10x Flex cooler with S-Flex (pull) and Slip Stream Slim (push) (both 1200rpm) fans - Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm exhaust fan:

Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm and Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm intake fans:

Scythe QuietDrive with Seagate 7200.12 500GB for OS and Data and 7200.11 1TB for Archive and Backup:

Cut away rear exhaust fan cover:

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 am

Full Spec:
AMD Phenom II 965 @ stock 3.4 GHz
Zalman CNPS10x Flex with Scythe SY1212SL12L (push) and Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E (pull)
Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 Motherboard
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8/8/8/24/32 @ 1.65v
1 x Seagate 7200.12 500GB in Scythe QuietDrive
1 x Seagate 7200.11 1TB in Scythe Quiet Drive
Gigabye 4870 1GB with Zalman GV1000 Cooler and 2 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon D0925C12B3AP-14 fans and Iiyama ProLite E2407HDSD display
Asus Xonar DX Sound Card and Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers
Corsair HX-620 Modular PSU
Coolermaster CM690-II Advanced Case with Sileo 500 sound absorbing material.
1 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 and 1 x S-FLEX SFF21E (intake)
1 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 (exhaust)
Scythe Kaze Server fan controller - (all fans at lowest speed unless needed - temp probes in CPU and GPU cooler fins)
Antec Veris Basic IR Remote Unit - modded to sit outside of case for better positioning / range.
Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard
Saitek Cyborg V3 Mouse

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm curious, do you really need the fan on the bottom of the case?

It seems out of place, and quite random, considering the GFX has two fans on it, even that front fan might not be needed.

There's enough ventilation, that the CPU, Exhaust and GPU fans will get everything they need.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am

That is a good point. I did run the case without that fan for a while. I have it there and set on minimum (390rpm) but it increases when needed (gaming etc). So it's basically a bit of extra oomph if needed - at 390rpm you can't hear it anyway.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I have just ordered some more goodies:

Intel X25-M 80GB SSD for OS

3 Scythe SFF21E fans to fit in the top and bottom bays as I used to run with the coolermasters, but they will run at minimum speed and only kick in when needed.

I have a 1 into four fan cable that I am hoping will allow me to run all S-Flex fans off one port of the Kaze Server, so that they all keep the same speed.

I have also recovered a 1TB 7200.11 from my Sky HD box, so that will replace the 500GB 7200.12 in a QuietDrive, leaving the 500GB to use an external backup drive in the X-Dock when needed - or sold.

At present with just the two GTs and 1 S-Flex (now moved to the roof as an exhaust) as case fans, I was able to run the CPC Benchmark suite with the CPU oc'd to [email protected] without needing them to increase in speed. However the CPU cooler fans did increase, so I am hoping with these extra fans it will all remain nice and cool and quiet.

I have found with my last batch of overclocking attempts that keeping the NB speed at stock makes very little difference to the results I get from this benchmark suite, which tests image editing, video encoding and multitasking. This means I can use AMD OverDrive to OC the CPU from within Windows and therefore keep CnQ running.

I think my maximum stable overclock is 3.7GHz, although the benchmark suite completed at 3.8, but prime95 crashed in under a minute. At 3.7 I was able to blend for 10 hours without a problem.

8)

lifeisgood

Post by lifeisgood » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:18 am

Last edited by lifeisgood on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 am

lifeisgood: that stuff is called U-channel edging, sometimes plastic, sometimes rubber. Available at just about any hardware store, and some hobby shops even carry it.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 pm

bonestonne wrote:lifeisgood: that stuff is called U-channel edging, sometimes plastic, sometimes rubber. Available at just about any hardware store, and some hobby shops even carry it.
Check out Performance-pcs.com - they probably have the largest online collection.

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Hello! Could you post some pics of the Kaze Server in action? How are the viewing angles? I'm interested in buying this fan-controller so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:40 pm

RaptorX wrote:Hello! Could you post some pics of the Kaze Server in action? How are the viewing angles? I'm interested in buying this fan-controller so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I just set one up in my P182. The vertical viewing angle is pretty poor - my case sits on the floor and I can't read fan rpms unless I move down to about the same level. I can't remember the horizontal angle off the top of my head but they seemed to be a bit better.

Otherwise, I really like the Kaze Server. I'm using it in semi auto mode with the temperature sensors pushed between the cooler and the PCB on my 5870 Vapor-X. The only thing to note about semi auto mode, which wasn't clear from Scythe's product info, is that once the temperatures exceed the ramp-up speed, the fan goes from its set minimum speed to full speed, which is a little too loud for me with the S-Flex E (1,200rpm) and Gentle Typhoon 1,150rpm fans I'm using. I solved this by using two 10V fan speed reducer cables that I had lying around.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions!

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 am

As JamieG says, the vertical viewing angles are pretty poor, but I find horizontal ok. This wasn't a problem when I had the PC on the desk, but now it is on the floor and I have to move my head down to read the display - this isn't often though, and I usually have the display switched off.

I agree with the full speed issue too, not too much of a problem for me as I have the threshold temp set fairly high, and the fans seem to increase to max fairly slowly, usually they are still increasing in speed when the temp falls back within the threshold and they slow down, so it's not a problem. This could be due to the number of fans in the case helping to keep this under control.

I would definately buy another one for my next build