Quiet Lian Li PC-A12 System

Post by LilKevin715 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Specs of the system are:

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz, 1.2625v
Asus P6T motherboard
3 X 1GB OCZ DDR3 Ram 7-7-7-20 1333MHz, 1.6v
Gigabyte HD 4850 GV-R485MC-1GH
WD 300GB VelociRaptor HD
2 X Icy Dock HD racks (SATA & IDE to USB)
Samsung SATA DVD Burner
Corsair TX650W PSU
Lian Li PC-A12 case with Akasa Paxmate II
Scythe Kama-Flex 120mm 1000rpm intake/exhaust fans
Lian Li BS-03 side fan assembly (intake) with a 120mm Antec Tri-Cool on Low
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with an Enermax Enlobal

Image Image Image Image

The noisiest past of the system is by far the HD as the Lian Li HD cage transmits vibrations to the case despite the rubber mounting screws made by Lian Li. I plan on adding 2 X 1TB HD’s in RAID 1 later on so the HD vibration resonance will probably get worse. I’ll probably have to suspend the HD cage by hanging it from the 3.5â€

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:39 am

Sweet system !!!
And nice temps for a stock cooler on your GPU.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:55 am

Lovely case. . . about your high temps:

The plastic duct is going to be a pain when you have to clean out the dust, it is probably blocking some heat from going into the PSU, but the hot air is still in the case.

I'd remove the duct and instead connect both the CPU & rear exhaust fans to the CPU fan header with a Y power adapter (as in photo 16 in my post here viewtopic.php?t=51531&sid=91872416534e0 ... a0e8f2e872 ), that way heat shed by CPU fan is exhausted immediately instead of rising to the PSU.

Also, I'd reverse the side fan so it exhausts GPU heat instead if pushing it into case, and allowing it to rise. If all that creates too much negative pressure in the case, then I'd speed up the front intake fan.

LilKevin715

Post by LilKevin715 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Small Update:

I added my Raid 1 array (2 Samsung F1 1TB 7200rpm drives) and the vibration-induced resonating noise from the hard drives was driving me nuts. To solve this issue I bought a PC-6X HD cage assembly with two goals:
1) Eliminate the HD vibration-induced noise
2) Easier access to the hard drives.

To eliminate the HD vibration from resonating to the case I lined the bottom of the HD cage base with some leftover akasa paxmate. The HD cage base was then secured to the case with some zip ties that go through the bottom case panel. The holes on the bottom case panel lined up perfectly with the HD cage base holes which was very convenient. Also the weight of the HD's isn't enough to compress the two layers of foam.
Image Image Image Image

With the original HD cage vibrations were transmitted directly from the cage to the bottom of the case. The vibration resulted in the side panels rattling which wasn't a pleasant sound at all. With the new HD cage installed the side panels don't vibrate or rattle at all. The old HD cage was also inconvenient when accessing the HD's. I had to remove the side fan and the video card in order to get clear access to the HD's. Now its down to two thumbscrews and I can take the whole thing out. The original HD cage was limited to 3 HD's and the associated vibration induced noise. Now I can have up to five HD's and no vibration induced noise.

Raaagh

Post by Raaagh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 pm

wow, cool case!