-Accommodates tower heatsinks, like a HR-1
-Accommodates larger heatsinks on graphics cards, like a HR-3
-Room for 2 suspended HDs
-Must be attractive

Larger image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2804/414 ... 427d_b.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Nice idea. I couldn't see dimensions though - I guess around 330mm (w) x 250mm (d) x 180mm (h)?

Looks a bit like the Silverstone GD04 with a taller area for the CPU heatsink and the power supply turned on its side.

Where would you be suspending the HDDs? Also, no DVD-drive?

It looks like the 120mm fan in most PSUs will be taking air from inside the case. The PSU might end up sucking in some hot air from the graphics card area, if the graphics card does not have a rear-exhausting cooling solution.

Have you thought about having alternate screw holes to allow the PSU to be mounted the other way around with the fan intaking cold air from outside the system - you would need to extend the intake grill though. It could also be noisier though.

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:22 pm

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cool ... 540/3.html

looks a lot like the Centurion540 turned on its ear, but with a rear 120mm instead of 2x80mm.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:06 am

I really like the design. For the PSU, if it could be mounted with the fan pointing outside the case, to draw cool air from there, you would just need to change the orientation of those left side slots. Might want to add holes on the front for USB and power/reset buttons. Also, possibly add mounting brackets to the top of the case for a slim dvd drive? Though, and internal optical drive isn't necessary.

I would love a case like this. If you end up finding a cheap way to make it, I'd consider paying you for it, assuming you change the orientation of the PSU so that it's drawing cool air from outisde the case, and add some holes for USB/power/reset.

diver

Post by diver » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 am

Who makes the HR-1 or HR-3. I also agree with those suggesting a direct outside air intake for the PSU. Its a great feature rarely seen and eliminates the need for a duct.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 am

what are you planning on suspending the hard drives from?

regal196

Post by regal196 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Sorry for the latency of my reply.

I have a more finished model of my setup, but I can not post it because I have been out of school and without access to AutoCADD.

I will answer what I can.

@diver: The PSU is oriented to draw air from the outside. This is in hope to keep the fan from ramping up. The HR-01 and HR-03 are made by Thermalright. The HR-01 is designed for passive CPU cooling. The HR-03 is a GPU Heatsink. (can be bought from Jab-tech.com... Newegg.com use to carry them :[ )

@ryboto: There is going to be a rack in the front, left side of the case for the hardrives to be mount. I designed them after my project was completed, it is in the final design. I also have plans for a power button, it would be located in the front, right after the smallest circle. It would not be difficult to add USB ports and maybe audio jacks as well. As for a slim drive that would be cool, but I personally have no plan for one. There is room for a slim drive, it could be put in at the front left bottom of the case, under the HD rack and PSU.

@JamieG: The approximate dimensions are 355.6 (w) x 279.4 (d) x 203.2 (h). Therefore about and inch bigger in every dimension. This is not the smallest case, but it was designed to incorporate large tower heatsinks. Also, the case is also designed for the wrap around/over GPU heatsink, like the HR-03. I agree, the airflow to/around the GPU is minimal, I would need to test to see if there is a need for greater air flow to the GPU.

Thank you all for your feedback, comments and suggestions. As soon as this next semester gets going, I will continue to modify and hopefully poduce a working model.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 am

do you plan on making this out of sheetmetal?

If so, you have a bunch of missing radii, and no reliefs for the corners. Maybe this is just a preliminary model tho..

Also, if your school has solidworks or Pro/E, the sheetmetal tools within those are much more desirable for putting together a sheetmetal electronics case.