SSD upgrade (fixed images)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

widowmaker

SSD upgrade (fixed images)

Post by widowmaker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:50 pm

About a month ago I finally decided to upgrade my boot drive from a 2.5 inch HDD to a pair of SSDs. The noise difference was not so much the driving force as the performance difference (for once). Here are a pair of Intel G2 80Gb SSDs in raid 0. I put them in a Patriot Convoy so that the SSDs won't just be rattling around in my case.

SSD internals

Ready to be put into the Patriot Convoy

In they go

Power on

500Gb 7200rpm storage drive performance

SSD Raid 0 performance

edit: Thanks xev for pointing that out. It seems like the images only work for me that's why I didn't notice :oops:. This should be fixed now.
Last edited by widowmaker on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xev

Post by xev » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:25 pm

links seem broken. i dont see anything

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Images fixed now.

lawrencesha

Post by lawrencesha » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:57 pm

widowmaker wrote:Images fixed now.
Running those Intel SSD on RAID, wouldn't that disable the TRIM command on the drives? Unless they are G1 which doesn't support TRIM in the 1st place.

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

Nice! :D

I'm only just a little bit envious.

Those drives are still too expensive for me justify upgrading my OS disk.

I'll hold back for now waiting for cheaper, better even faster SATA3 SSD drives.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 pm

lawrencesha wrote:Running those Intel SSD on RAID, wouldn't that disable the TRIM command on the drives? Unless they are G1 which doesn't support TRIM in the 1st place.
That is correct. Trim is not supported but I feel the raid 0 outweighs the lack of trim. For trim to be supported on raid arrays, the raid controller as well as the ssd need to support it first. To my knowledge no raid controllers support trim yet. You cannot disable raid and manually trim each drive individually either. You can however disable raid and upgrade each drive's firmware without data loss.