4GB DDR3
Western Digital 150gb Velociraptor
Antec 650W
AMD Phenom II 1090T
MSI 5770 Hawk
LG Blu-Ray burner

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/172/IMG_2 ... 190356.jpg
http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/172/IMG_2 ... 191143.jpg

Soon it will be getting a Scythe Ninja 3. It's a shop computer, hopefully it'll sell to someone who wants an intense gaming computer. It will be a test mule for audio work until then, and possibly used for video editing a little. It will be getting a 1TB internal drive as well as maybe another 4gb of RAM soon.

Windows 7 x64 installed in 35 minutes on this beast. Not even really. When I was done building it, and went through the BIOS initially, and then put in the disc, 35 minutes after pushing the power button for the first time, it was done with Win 7 and updating itself. More pictures when the Ninja goes in, better quality as well (sorry, my G2 doesn't have that great a camera).

We also ordered the red Phantom, and may be building a 6 core Intel monster as well (which will be the real treat) but no guarantees, given the cost of the 6 core alone, much less a motherboard for it.

The case has a wonderful fan controller on the top, which was a GREAT feature. More cases should have that feature.

Cable for front panel audio could have been a little bit longer though, it just barely reached the headers on the motherboard.

The Phantom was a wonderful case to work with, and the motherboard is very nice. It's good to see them going towards all solid state.

AMD Phenoms are definitely the best budget computers right now. The motherboard + CPU combo from Newegg was less than $300, we had RAM at the shop, and also already had the case, making this a cheaper computer than it could have been. At the same time, it was still roughly $800 total after everything was done. For a 6 core, that's a great price, but quads are still the more common mainstream component, so they're cheaper and still a better deal with DDR2 RAM for a much cheaper computer.

Can't wait to run this thing through benchmarks as well as use it for a while and see what kind of speed it really has. It's also made me really want to upgrade my older 150gb raptor for the new ones. Quieter, and faster.

-bonestonne

Fire-Flare

Re: My first Phenom II build

Post by Fire-Flare » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 pm

If low temperatures are a selling point, try Scythe's Mugen 2 in push-pull instead. My Phenom II x6 runs under 40c like that.

bonestonne

Re: My first Phenom II build

Post by bonestonne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:44 am

Low temps aren't really the selling point, it's moreso the speed.

The fact that it's quiet is an added bonus, and it's very easy to work on. We'll be using it until it sells, when it'll get a fresh install of 7 again, and most likely another 4gb of RAM.

The Ninja was already ordered, it just didn't arrive with everything else. I was ready to put in an older Ninja that I've got lying around, but once I fix a motherboard, I'll be using that ninja myself.