Inside my new Lian Li PC-A05N

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:07 am

I already have considered these options, but they're too expensive. Fans included the cost would be around €50. I'm not willing to spend that much money... I just want to lower the speed of this fan :cry:

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 pm

it sounds like the fan is a 3-pin connection to the motherboard? so the fan speed isn't relative to the cpu temp, because the mb needs a pwm fan? would be my guess.

you can drop the fan voltage, just like you drop the fan voltage to a case fan, using the simple spcr schematic... do you feel comfortable doing a little wire cutting, and maybe some soldering?

beyond that, check the mugen2 pricing in your country, it comes with a pretty nice pwm fan.

it looks like you still haven't tried speedfan... you can plug the cpu fan into a case fan mb connection, and at least set it to any fixed speed that you want.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:52 am

No, the fan is a 4-pin PWM fan, connected to a 4-pin connector on the MB. That's why I'm having such a hard timing adjusting the fan. I did tried Speedfan, but that didn't work either. I also plugged the fan into a 3-pin connector on the MB, but it changed nothing. PWM fans aren't supposed to be adjusted, and I'm starting to think I will never be able to do it - which is a shame.

Therefore I am willing to consider a new cooler, but only if it will run cool and most of all quiet. How about a Xigmatek HDT S1283 with a Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan, fixed at 7V (connected to PSU with a 3-fan speedcable from Nexus)? I can get those together for €33. Would that be a better and safe alternative? Will the fan at 7V be able to keep it cool at load?

Once more many thanks for all the aid, I really appreciate it.

EDIT - and will this AM2 designed cooler fit AM3?

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 am

Potenza wrote:Therefore I am willing to consider a new cooler, but only if it will run cool and most of all quiet. How about a Xigmatek HDT S1283 with a Nexus 120mm Real Silent case fan, fixed at 7V (connected to PSU with a 3-fan speedcable from Nexus)
That's good. It is almost as good as the Mugen, Prolimatech or Venomous X. It's a simple direct solution. In the event that it doesn't provide acceptable cooling (highly unlikley) you can kick the voltage up a notch. What are the voltage options on the 3 speed cable?

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 am

The voltage options are 5V, 7V and 12V. I use these cables because they're cheap, efficient and minimal cable clutter. Zalman Fanmates are not accurate enough for me, and already in the past I wasn't a big fan of adjusting fan speed by software. Now I'll never be :)

danimal

Post by danimal » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Potenza wrote:No, the fan is a 4-pin PWM fan, connected to a 4-pin connector on the MB.
then it's a motherboard issue of some sort, possibly a bios setting.

a 4-pin pwm fan connected to a 4-pin cpu fan connector on the motherboard is really simple.

make absolutely sure that there aren't any fan controller software programs running that would interfere with the bios control of the fan.

if the cpu fan controller on the motherboard is good, the only other thing that it could be is a mounting/thermal paste issue of some sort between the cpu cooler and the cpu... if the heatsink isn't sinking the heat properly, the cpu fan controller on the motherboard will run the fan at top speed, in order to cool a hot cpu.

and for what it's worth... the junk fan on that cpu cooler is rated at 1200-2500 rpm, it will never be really quiet:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1403/n ... ndex2.html

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:15 am

Potenza wrote:The voltage options are 5V, 7V and 12V. I use these cables because they're cheap, efficient and minimal cable clutter. Zalman Fanmates are not accurate enough for me, and already in the past I wasn't a big fan of adjusting fan speed by software. Now I'll never be :)
If you like those, try this (there are several different mfgs of this type of device, I am certain at least one of them would be available locally)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8770/ ... g36c17s424

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7923/ ... g36c17s424

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:43 am

danimal wrote:
Potenza wrote:No, the fan is a 4-pin PWM fan, connected to a 4-pin connector on the MB.
then it's a motherboard issue of some sort, possibly a bios setting.

a 4-pin pwm fan connected to a 4-pin cpu fan connector on the motherboard is really simple.

make absolutely sure that there aren't any fan controller software programs running that would interfere with the bios control of the fan.

if the cpu fan controller on the motherboard is good, the only other thing that it could be is a mounting/thermal paste issue of some sort between the cpu cooler and the cpu... if the heatsink isn't sinking the heat properly, the cpu fan controller on the motherboard will run the fan at top speed, in order to cool a hot cpu.

and for what it's worth... the junk fan on that cpu cooler is rated at 1200-2500 rpm, it will never be really quiet:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1403/n ... ndex2.html
Thanks for the input mate!

The motherboard is actually performing as it should be, the PWM function works as it should work. In the first minutes my computer runs the fan does not go above 1400rpm, but after some basic use it's around 1800rpm. Finally it does a horrible 2000-2500rpm after some heavy load like video rendering. This obviously shows the MB and the cooler are doing their job (PWM), I simply have started to believe that the problem is nothing more and nothing less then a mediocore cooler.

I was hoping to set a maximum rpm to the fan - or anything else that would keep the fan from ramping up, only to keep the CPU between 30 and 40°C. But that clearly didn't work, a pity. Therefore I have ordered what I mentioned in a previous post. That Xigmatek should cool much better, combined with a Nexus 120mm at 7V will normally be as good as silent. Major problem will be installing this new cooler, I'm not very eager to remove the MB...

@ ces: those are nice, never saw something like that. Won't use it though, I already have the cables I mentioned, but I'll keep it in mind for future builds!

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:21 am

Brand new cooler arrived yesterday! I haven't installed the Xigmatek HDT S1283 yet, but after unpacking it I'm already impressed. Perhaps I should share my experiences so far?

+ Package was excellent, everything was safely wrapped.
+ The cooler is big and feels sturdy, without being hefty. Great!
+ Although I won't use the supplied fan, it seems to be a decent one. The meshed cables are nice and clean (mind you: heard it's noisy at high speed though).

+/- Instead I mounted a Nexus 120mm fan on it. Attaching the fan was not exactly easy, but with the tips from the SPCR review and some patience 5 to 10 minutes was enough for me to get it all done.
+/- The manual is okay, pretty standard. Not extremely clear, but it does the job.

- The provided thermal paste is in no tube, just a little plastic bag without something useful to spread it on the CPU. A real shame.

During the next week I will install this new cooler and will post some results. Attaching it to the motherboard seems to be easy peasy (AM3), hopefully I won't have to remove it from its case.

On a sidenote: the Nexus fan on the cooler will be pulling air from the cooler to the front of the case, fresh air will come from the intake fan at the back. Hopefully this unconventional approach will work... For those who did not understand my crappy English, a little scheme of the airflow (all fans are Nexus 120mm at 7V):

[Front fan (exhaust) <- CPU fan <- cooler <- Back fan(intake)]

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 am

Cr*p! Forget my fancy scheme about the airflow, ultimately I noticed the direction of the heatsink is different! So the fan can only be mounted on top of the HS, or at the bottom. Stupid me!

What would be the best option? Go passive, or with the fan on top, pulling air so that the intake fan can (hopefully) send it to the exhaust fan?

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 am

Well, i would do a front to back airflow. Why? Because the GPU gets more airflow then most probably.

Also the CPU will benefit of that because the fan pushes the air through the heatsink instead of pulling it through.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:56 am

Potenza wrote:Cr*p! Forget my fancy scheme about the airflow, ultimately I noticed the direction of the heatsink is different! So the fan can only be mounted on top of the HS, or at the bottom. Stupid me!

What would be the best option? Go passive, or with the fan on top, pulling air so that the intake fan can (hopefully) send it to the exhaust fan?
Add this optional top to the case:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=27186

Then have both the front and the back fans blow in.

Put your fan on the bottom of the heat sink.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I've made a little Photoshop sketch so that my question is clear.

The current situation can be seen on the pictures I already posted, the Nexus XiR-2300 that I currently use blows the hot hair towards the closed sidepanel - therefore not delivering good cooling.

Option 1: that's how it would look if I install it the way the mounting tools allow me to mount it. The fan can be turned around and replaced to the bottom, but this seems to be the best option if the heatsink (HS) is directed like this.

Option 2: this is what I was actually planning, but impossible because of the AM3 mounting bracket. Xigmatek offers a kit to make this option possible (Crossbow ATI775), but so far I haven't found webshops that offer it for little money and/or can ship to Belgium for a low price as well.

Option 3: not in the image because explained with one word: passive. In this scenario the intake fan keeps the HS cool enough.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Ah, didn't noticed your reply ces. Such a replacement top looks nice, but it's too expensive for me. About placing the fan on the bottom of the heatsink: if pushing: don't you think it won't find fresh, cool air at the bottom of the case? If pulling: where to with the hot air? Remember, the case has no vents on the bottom. I could swap the intake fan to exhaust as well, but in that case there will be no suply of fresh air. And doing that with the front fan wouldn't be very useful since the PSU would blow hot air straight into that fresh airstream.

And thanks for the input. :D

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:20 pm

Potenza wrote:Ah, didn't noticed your reply ces. Such a replacement top looks nice, but it's too expensive for me. About placing the fan on the bottom of the heatsink: don't you think it won't find fresh, cool air at the bottom of the case? Remember, the case has no vents on the bottom... :D
It actually does have some vents down there. But the air would likely be flowing of of them.

Basically there will be air down there, it will be the same temp as other air inside the case. If you cut a blow hole on the top, and you have two fans pushing fresh air in. the inside air will not get too hot. There is a known problem of hot air pooling up at the top, from the graphics card. The blow hole at the top fixes that.

2. Are you sure you can install the PSU with the fan on the top? Even if you can, the air won't flow the way you show it flowing.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:31 pm

ces wrote:2. Are you sure you can install the PSU with the fan on the top? Even if you can, the air won't flow the way you show it flowing.
I suppose you're talking about option 1? I don't see why I would be able to install the HS with fan like this. Haven't tried it ofcourse, but I do think that the clip will allow me to place the HS with fan like this. The fan is installed to pull hot air - why would the air not flow as I show/think?

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Potenza wrote:
ces wrote:2. Are you sure you can install the PSU with the fan on the top? Even if you can, the air won't flow the way you show it flowing.
I suppose you're talking about option 1? I don't see why I would be able to install the HS with fan like this. Haven't tried it ofcourse, but I do think that the clip will allow me to place the HS with fan like this. The fan is installed to pull hot air - why would the air not flow as I show/think?
Doesn't your PSU have a 120mm fan that pushes air into the PSU? Your image shows it pulling air out of the PSU.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Oooh, you were talking about the PSU - erm, yes, it actually takes cold air instead of blowing hot air :oops:

I agree with you that exhaust at the top would be the best solution, but I don't have the money for the replacement part you suggested, and I'm not very eager to cut out some holes myself. Perhaps I should switch intake and exhaust casefans? Still no clue what to do with the HS though...

Argh, I'm getting frustrated with this! I have only one certainty: I have no money to buy new parts. I'll have to do it with these things.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Potenza wrote:Oooh, you were talking about the PSU - erm, yes, it actually takes cold air instead of blowing hot air :oops:

I agree with you that exhaust at the top would be the best solution, but I don't have the money for the replacement part you suggested, and I'm not very eager to cut out some holes myself. Perhaps I should switch intake and exhaust casefans? Still no clue what to do with the HS though...

Argh, I'm getting frustrated with this! I have only one certainty: I have no money to buy new parts. I'll have to do it with these things.
Keep the case fans stock. They work and they are quiet. Install the heatsink the way it goes in. Put a fan at the bottom of the heat sink. That will all work.

Then check to see how your GPU temps work out.

By the way, it seems to me that the PSU basically just circulates air instead of pushing it out of the case.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:57 pm

So I should stick with option 2 - but replace the fan to the bottom of the HS? I suppose that in that case I should install the fan so that it pushes? Final question (just curious): what makes this better than my idea of putting the fan on top of the HS and pull the hot air? :)

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Potenza wrote:So I should stick with option 2 - but replace the fan to the bottom of the HS? I suppose that in that case I should install the fan so that it pushes? Final question (just curious): what makes this better than my idea of putting the fan on top of the HS and pull the hot air? :)
I thought you said option 2 would not work with this heat sink? I will assume you are talking about option 1.

It is my experience that if you want to cool something pushing air at it works better than pulling it. Try both and see what happens.

In fact I believe (I have not done the experiment to confirm this) two slower fans in push pull are better than one faster fan pushing or pulling. You should get more air current per db of noise this way. I am so certain of this I don't know what I would ever bother to do the experiment to confirm it.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes yes, I'm sorry, you're right, option 2 isn't possible with the current bracket. Xigmatek provides a solution, but for now I can't get it cheap enough and I don't think this will change. If no one disagrees that pushing air will work better than pulling I'll replace the fan before I put it in place.

I'm considering the passive approach as well though, I will see what results I get without a fan on the heatsink. :)

ces

Post by ces » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Potenza wrote:I'm considering the passive approach as well though, I will see what results I get without a fan on the heatsink. :)
Consider, even a slow 300rpm fan will make a big difference over 100% passive. You should experiment with all options, but consider using a slow fan however oriented as part of your test It will make a big difference in cooling and little difference in noise.

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:55 am

Yes, you're right - I figured out that the Nexus 120mm at 7V is actually inaudible, and thus it would make no sense to go passive. I hope to install the HS today or tomorrow...

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 am

A few days ago I found some spare time and installed the Xigmatek with a Nexus fan (7V). I'm very, very pleased with it. Installation went smooth. Attaching the fan was a bit dounting at first, but once I found out how to do it in the best way there were no problems at all. The clip was very easy to use as well, there was no need to remove the motherboard. Thermal paste was decent, but I would have welcommed a decent package - that small plastic bag was a bit unhandy.

Temperaturs are excellent, under normal use (internet, Word, mails,...) I get 32-34°C. Under load it stays at an incredible 36°C. I did some heavy video rendering as well, and still the Xigmatek held the CPU at 38°C. Remarkable! And best of all: no noise!

I also found the right materials to finally suspend my HD.

As you can see nothing fancy, the tension keeps it all tight and in place. To be honnest, I'm not as stunned as I hoped I would be. The idle noise is gone, but that wasn't audible because of the GPU anyway. Load noise however, is still audible. It has clearly reduced though, and the case has stopped humming as well. Airflow is also much better now because of the removed HD box. All together I'm happy with this modification, but I was hoping for a deadsilent HD - which was cleary a bit too optimistic. :)

My system is really quiet now, but not silent. The loudest part is the GPU, although I can still hear the HD clearly on load. In time I could swap the GPU for a passive one (the Powercolor HD5750 Passive is cheaper nowadays than the Vapor-X version I have!) and add some case isolation, but for now I'm happy enough. One remaining concern is the cable management, it really sucks now, but this case won't allow any better.

Thanks for all the tips and good advice.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 02, 2010 3:37 am

If you want to mount the cooler in a back to front airflow you could get this accesory from Xigmatek ACK-ATI775 with that thingey you can mount your cooler in 4 ways not in 2 ways. It creates a S775 mounting for the AM2/3 platform.

BruceMellen

Cooler & fan control

Post by BruceMellen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 am

Potenza wrote:There isn't much I can do in BIOS. I can see the fan speed, enable/disable Q-fan, see the voltages and set min. and max. temperature. I tried PC Probe II as well, unfortunately no solution. It monitors everything without problems, but I can't do anything about the fan speed. The treshold was 600rpm, I set it to 1400rpm but nothing changed.

I'm getting really frustrated with this, having a 92mm fan that runs constantly 1800-2200 rpm is extremely annoying! All tips are welcome...
I like my Gelid Tranquillo CPU cooler with 120mm 4-pin PWM fan that can properly attach to your 4-pin PWM motherboard header (I think you switched two digits in your mobo model in your profile). It runs real quiet in my Antec MiniP-180 case on my Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo with the same type of CPU PWM fan header. I found that to control it you need to turn on Q-Fan in BIOS to something like the Turbo or User setting and then install/load Asus's AI Suite's Fan Xpert, do a Calibrate, choose the User Profile, and move the green dot to the CPU fan's minimum rated speed (in terms of %) and to a temperature where you want the fan to start increasing speed. Applying the setting will override BIOS and be saved for the future. Tweaking the orange and purple dot should allow a CPU fan speed profile to your liking. Something somewhat similar should be able to be done with your 3-pin case fan - but I'm unfamiliar with 3-pin fans/headers.

sub

Post by sub » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:48 am

Hi Potenza,

Nice setup !

Can you tell me where you buy your Nexus fan, I'am after a shop with low shipping charges thanks :wink:

Potenza

Post by Potenza » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:43 am

@ Bruce: Many thanks for the input, but since I have the Xigmatek with a Nexus installed I'm totally satisfied. I nevertheless hope your valuable input will help someone else!

@ sub: I bought all my parts through Azerty.nl, tons of products and shipping costs are okay overthere. For only one or two fans it would be rather expensive though, have a look at these links and see which of them is the cheapest.