It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 am 

@Strid, @ces
I think you could put a different heatsink in there, but I don't think it would mount all that well considering it's an Atom Ion combination. If you could get the heat sink to position properly, it probably would fit without the Blu-ray drive.

If you are just taking fans, I am already running a 120mm X 25mm fan facing down on the heatsink and it fits perfectly.

Just to put your cooling fears at ease, the 120mm fan on the stock Zotac heatsink works really well and the CPU temps are all within the spec limits according to Zotac engineers. They said the CPU should run between 60°C-90°C under load, 30°C-60°C idle. My unit runs maximum 65°C under load.

-Davideo

Strid wrote:
ces wrote:
How much headroom do you have in there if you want to put in a bigger top down cooler or a mini-tower cooler?

I wanted to ask the same question!
Would if fit something like an Scythe Ninja if you didn't have the DVD-ROM drive?

Post subject: Re: Zotac IONITX-F-E Mini-HTPC: Small, Ultra-Quiet, and Gree
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:58 am 

Many thanks for a great article. My HTPC system is the same as yours. Have you experienced any issues watching cable TV channels where every 5-10 seconds the audio/video stutters only on some channels?

This seems to only happen with the Zotac IONITX-F-E hardware as my desktop system with an Intel quad core with same Hauppauge 2250 does not experience this behavior.

Thanks again,

Tony.

Post subject: Re: Zotac IONITX-F-E Mini-HTPC: Small, Ultra-Quiet, and Gree
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:14 am 

Tony,
I have noticed a lag issue once in a while on my system but not completely as you describe. From time to time, when in Media Center on Win7, audio will lag on recorded shows or even "live" (not really live as it is buffered to the HDD) TV. The delay is not huge but enough to be noticeable with lip syncing. The only cure is to reboot the system and that fixes it. I am not sure what the culprit is, but I have been wondering if this Motherboard needs a bit more headroom to make the HTPC experience smoother. Like I said, this does not happen often, just once in a while.

I would also like to address this system's long boot time (usually about 2 minutes!) with an SSD, but when I see all the great stuff coming out from Boxee, Western Digital, and Google TV, I am not sure I want to put more money into this box.

As for your stutter problem, I have noticed stuttering happens when there is other activities going on in the background, like updates (damn you Adobe!). I usually notice it with Flash based content, like when I run Miro. I wish I could give you a solution. All I have is a few anecdotes...

Davideo