Submerged quiet pc !

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen7372

Submerged quiet pc !

Post by Stephen7372 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:12 am

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:24 am

I think that is the 4th or 5th OilPC we have had on SPCR. By the way, if that is your project, apparently the vegetable oil will congeal and go rancid after about a month or two at high temperatures. See this thread:

Tom's Hardware Go Fanless In Oil

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:16 am

Oil bath appears to work...though it seems insane. I suspect a mineral oil would be clearer and have a far longer shelf life.

Submerging should alter some of our silencer core concepts in that fans on a GPU or chipset could be good,as may be a relatively loud,high speed CPU fan.

Aquariums can be built with just glass and clear silicone. such a "Tank" can also be framed with wood,or whatever,so a custom case for the rest of the puter,mainly the drives, get mounted above. It would be neat to do the upper with mostly glass,clear or smoked acrylic. The amount of oil in the tank will affect the temps. Likewise,if one side of the oil tank was a panel of finned aluminum,there would be some heat dissipated. A submerged Fan can "pump" the oil through some pipe,through some form of radiator/heat exchanger,and back. For a fairly cool chip,like a Sempron,that may be overkill. It would be interesting to hear how an "oil rig" is performing 6 months later...

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:19 am

..and in theory an overclocked Prescott could cook french fries...true multitasking :shock:

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:31 am

Well nice attempt Stephen/Thomas Haxley

It will be very nice if you go with that thing to LAN Parties 8)
And nicer if you plan to upgrade your components :?
ronrem wrote:..and in theory an overclocked Prescott could cook french fries...true multitasking :shock:
So how about pairing it with Dual Core 6800Ultra in SLI mode,then I guess the whole system needs a shell&tube heat exchanger to prevent the oil from become a black residue :D

EDIT:added&deleted some words(I didn't notice that this is the Gallery section before)