Experimental: the Unsuspecting Nettop

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pm.stacker

Experimental: the Unsuspecting Nettop

Post by pm.stacker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:50 pm

After the 16-Xeon workstation and the E5200 6-HDD HTPC, now it's time to experiment something else :-)
Having some components laying around I decided to recycle them in a different way :-P
And I named this project "Unsuspecting Nettop" because I will try to stuff a complete Core 2 Duo desktop system into a case which dimensions are slightly larger than some Atom-based nettops, from this the "unsuspecting" since it resembles a nettop but has the power of a desktop :lol:

Configuration:
Intel DG45FC desktop board (DIY modded)
Intel Pentium E5300 CPU (2.6 GHz, 45 nm, 30W)
2x1024 MB DDR2-800 system memory (Kingston ultra-low-profile)
Optical drive: slim-line Optiarc BC-5500A (ATAPI, BD-ROM & DVD-RW)
HDD: one 2.5" SATA drive
Power supply: 150W PicoPSU with 150W FSP AC adapter
Cooling: DIY 3-fan solution: 2x40mm (GMCH&ICH), one 80x80x15 PWM server blower (Dynatron P199 heatsink)
Peripherals: Terratec T2 DVB-T USB receiver and IR module (integrated inside the case)
Case: DIY-modded 230x280x40 mm, a generic metal case from an Italian manufacturer near home :-)

Undervolting the 40mm fans (recycled from a Travla 1U case) to 9V makes them almost silent, while the Dynatron blower has the PWM signal which can be controlled by the mobo. Right now I'm using a recycled 60mm blower but it's too small, this new 80mm one should move the same air at min.speed that the 60mm moves at full speed (5.000 rpm), so noise should be lower than now.

As for now, since I don't have the PicoPSU, I'm powering this thing via an old Enermax 475W ATX "external" silent PSU
I'll post some photos soon :-D

Here there's a couple images
Image Image

pm.stacker

:P

Post by pm.stacker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:14 pm

It's almost done... have to drill the vents on the front and then it's finished :-D

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 am

It's a bit of a Frankenstein-rig with that external PSU! Definitely get a PicoPSU asap. 8)

Have you considered drilling a 120 mm hole in the case cover and have a low profile 120mm fan blowing over the CPU?

pm.stacker

Post by pm.stacker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Now it's finished so that frankenstein-power supply's gone :-D

I know drilling a 120 hole in the cover would cool it more efficiently, but this is more of an experiment than a super silent system, and (as in every 1U rack system) air flow is supposed to go horizontally from the front to the back :-) so I designed it that way. It gets pretty hot but tweaking with VIDs I can keep it cool enough without TM2 kicking in or the fan getting too noisy :-)

So... here it is :-D
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image