Accidentally quiet rig

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Flanker

Accidentally quiet rig

Post by Flanker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 pm

I think I'll start with a little bit of background info:
Around the beginning of this year I got sick of my noisy computer and found SPCR, read lots of reviews from here and decided to buy some new parts to quiet down this PC. I have a half-assed worklog here
What I haven't mentioned in that link is that I ended up running the twin turbo at 7v, still emits some noise but much more tolerable than at 12v.
Recently however, the fans on the twin turbo decided to die (probably something to do with the wires in the 3-pin -> molex adapter). While waiting for the shop to sort out RMA and stuff, I got impatient and decided to experiment a little.
First I put my spare antec tri cool near the gfx with side panel open, card temp stabilizes at 44-46c, but I get more noise from extra fan and opened side panel.
Then I tried putting the side panel back on, temp increases to about 48~50.
Then I removed the whole fan shroud (without damaging anything), opened up some expansion slot covers, unplugged the tricool. Keeping the side panel open, temp went up to 60ish...
Now I closed off the size panel, and card temperature dropped to 53c and completely passive :mrgreen:

Anyway, I thinks thats more than enough writing, here is the pic:

My cpu fan curve:

component list:
E8400 w/ Katana III ~330 rpm at idle
9600GT w/ Accelero Twin Turbo w/o fans
WD 640GB Caviar SE
Asus P5QL-Pro
Samsung sH-S223F DVD-Writer
Antec Solo w/ Slip Strem Slim as exhaust @ ~700 rpm
Corsair VX450

The computer is pretty quiet now with the VX450 being the only audible part of the computer at idle, which I find acceptable

alecmg

Re: Accidentally quiet rig

Post by alecmg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:39 am

So accidentally the only air intake hole is now near the videocard?
+points for low pressure systems
my AC Silentium case is designed around that. Cool incoming air does make a difference.

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:17 pm

well, the accident is the malfunction of the of the VGA fans, leading to the discovery of the fact my video card actually need no fans

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 am

The Slipstream Slim as case exhaust isn't a particularly good choice. Try putting the Tricool back there and experiment with 5v and the varius switch settings (I found the 5v-High combo to be slightly quieter than the stock 12v-Low setting) and place the Slipstream on the TwinTurbo with some zip ties. Btw, what's the speed of the Slim fan?

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 pm

the slim fan (1200rpm at 12v) is running at around 700 rpm controlled by a zalman fanmate. Faster than that there will be a wooshing sound generated, which happens regardless of the type of fan (sounds worse with the tri cool). The tri cool that came with the case has started to click for some odd reason. Another reason I switched to a slim fan is so it will actually be possible for me to reseat the HSF if I ever need to (I got short fingers :( )
Besides, I prefer a fan with a 3 pin connector for the motherboard so I can monitor the fan speed

Flanker

updated system

Post by Flanker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 pm

just want to show my updated system

GFX: 9600GT + twin turbo w/o fans => Gigabyte 6770 Silent Cell, got the thing into my case after some wrestling
exhaust fan: Scythe slip stream slim 1200rpm => AC F12 PWM
intake: added a slim 80mm coolermaster fan on the suspension bands to take care of my passive card, running at 1~1.5krpm through zalman fanmate

jonpeter001

Post by jonpeter001 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:10 am

i am building a system for a desk adjacent to the kitchen. i am looking for stability not speed. intel core 2 duo chip.

seems like an intel board may be the way to go?

the only catch i guess is to find the right case for it. i need to sort of squeeze it into a cabinet/shelf thing i had made.

see companion thread with pic:
http://sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?t=294953