Re: nibbler

Post by DraGoNsLaYeR » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:08 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Schlotkins wrote:Ralf-

Is this what you used to cut the case?

http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, that's the exact same one. I even bought it at CompUSSR although it was a dollar cheaper back then. :)
CompUSSR! THats funny stuff.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:51 pm

sup dude

awesome rig.

I was checking out svc and i was interested in getting some sleeves like urs.
They have alot of different sizes and i was wondering what size did you get ur main psu cable and then the other PSU cables?

TIA
~RaNDoM

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:51 pm

DraGoNsLaYeR wrote: The Coriolis Effect would not change the direction of the fan. The Coriolis Effect alters the intended path of projectiles flying North and South but only for a long distance. It won't affect a paper airplane but it would affect an inter-continental missle.
Ahh, but how do you explain the counter clockwise toilet flushes of the Southern Hemisphere :?

:wink:
Last edited by Trip on Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:08 pm

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:36 pm

"The configuration of taps and drains is responsible for the direction of spin given to water draining from sinks and bathtubs to a degree that overwhelms the slight influence of the Coriolis force. "
----------------------------------------------------------------

That is ridiculous. There is nothing about plumbing which causes the water to drain in one direction. Every plumbing system I have ever seen is symmetrical. Having been to Cape Town, South Africa, I did see the water drain counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:28 am

DraGoNsLaYeR wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Trip wrote:oh, and I've got to add this: if you reversed the CPU fan, the fan would not cool as well, but would no longer fight the exhaust fan for air. As a result, the exhaust fan would be quieter, but the CPU fan would have to be run slightly faster and the new system would be noisier overall, correct?
When you reverse the CPU fan it cools like absolute shit! I've tried it. Even at 12V it's way lamer than blowing down at 5V and by then the fan is a screamer anyway. No way this is a workable solution for a Thermalright or Swiftech heatsink. I've never tried it with a Zalman 7000 because I don't know how to make the fan turn backwards. Guess I could go to the southern hemisphere and it would go backwards down there, right? ;). Something about the Coriolis Effect, IIRC? :)
The Coriolis Effect would not change the direction of the fan.
It was a joke, hence the ";)" and ":)" emoticons. :)
DraGoNsLaYeR wrote:The Coriolis Effect alters the intended path of projectiles flying North and South but only for a long distance. It won't affect a paper airplane but it would affect an inter-continental missle.
I dunno. The water in a 3cm diameter bathtub drain spins the opposite direction, right?

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:35 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:I dunno. The water in a 3cm diameter bathtub drain spins the opposite direction, right?
Only under certain conditions. When very near the equator, the direction of the water spin will change depending on barometric pressure and the gravitational pull of the moon and other planets. I did once see water changing spin direction back and forth during a major solar flare storm at the full moon, but the egg I was balancing on its end slipped into the bathtub and plugged the drain, ruining both experiments.

Empirical evidence suggests that maple syrup does not have a spin at all.

clive

Post by clive » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: I don't think there was much ambient noise. It was about 9:30PM, the TV was off and nothing else was making any particular noise that I can remember. I keep my monitor turned off when I'm not using the system (I hadn't been in there for a few hours) and the power light on my 3700BQE is very dim. I guess I was sleepy enough to miss it.
It looks like a 3700AMB - not BQE is this correct?

My AMB definately has a less restrictive front grille I measured the width of the webs at approx 1mm and the rear, which I cut out, at well over 2mm.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:03 pm

he's got both :P (look at his sig)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:34 am

clive wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: I don't think there was much ambient noise. It was about 9:30PM, the TV was off and nothing else was making any particular noise that I can remember. I keep my monitor turned off when I'm not using the system (I hadn't been in there for a few hours) and the power light on my 3700BQE is very dim. I guess I was sleepy enough to miss it.
The case in the pics at the beginning of this thread is an AMB, but the case I was referring to in that post is the BQE. Not that it really matters though, as one case itself isn't any noiser or quieter than the other case. BQE/AMB.....they're basically the same case.

I suppose I should update this thread, or maybe start a new one since I've changed some hardware since I started it.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:53 am

would a kit like this one
http://www.svc.com/coslkitca.html
be enough for all the PSU wires? as long as it is "flexo" it is good right?

TIA
~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:20 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:would a kit like this one
http://www.svc.com/coslkitca.html
be enough for all the PSU wires? as long as it is "flexo" it is good right?

TIA
~RaNDoM
Yeah, that should work just fine.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:14 pm

hey ralf,

u did a whole review on the 3700bqe case.

I cannot get my front bezel thing completey on. the top left of it is a little open and when i push on it hard, the bottom left jerks out a lttle. there is no way for me to get it completely tight on.

Do i have a messed up front thing?
It is only out like 2mm

~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:37 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:hey ralf,

u did a whole review on the 3700bqe case.

I cannot get my front bezel thing completey on. the top left of it is a little open and when i push on it hard, the bottom left jerks out a lttle. there is no way for me to get it completely tight on.

Do i have a messed up front thing?
It is only out like 2mm

~RaNDoM
Sounds like it might be hitting one of your drives and hanging up. Do you have any drives mounted? Look for some sort of interference between one of your drive bezels and the case bezel.

Do you have a fan mounted on the front case wall? Make sure that's not interfering with the bezel. 1" (25mm) is the thickest fan you can mount on the front of the case.

It should just snap right into place. The top mounts sometimes take a little more pressure to snap through the bezel, maybe you just need to carefully press a little harder?

Schlotkins

results

Post by Schlotkins » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:52 am

I finished up my new PC yesterday using pretty much the same things as Ralf. The loudest thing is my CPU fan... I'm using a CU7000 with a fanmate... it's running at 1500rpm and things are plenty cool. I'll have to give Ralf's a try and see if that's any better. The samsung drive also grumbles when it's seeking so I need to play around with that... maybe my screws are too tight or something.

In any case, it's already WHISPER quiet. If there's any other noise, no matter how soft, you can't hear the PC from 1 meter.

Thanks Ralf!
Chris

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: results

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:02 am

Schlotkins wrote:I finished up my new PC yesterday using pretty much the same things as Ralf. The loudest thing is my CPU fan... I'm using a CU7000 with a fanmate... it's running at 1500rpm and things are plenty cool. I'll have to give Ralf's a try and see if that's any better. The samsung drive also grumbles when it's seeking so I need to play around with that... maybe my screws are too tight or something.

In any case, it's already WHISPER quiet. If there's any other noise, no matter how soft, you can't hear the PC from 1 meter.

Thanks Ralf!
Chris
No problem, glad you're enjoying it!

You can send any donations to the "Buy Ralf a P4 3.4EE" fund. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: results

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:27 am

Radeonman wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: No problem, glad you're enjoying it!

You can send any donations to the "Buy Ralf a P4 3.4EE" fund. :)
C'mon Ralf, an EE is easy to cool. Take on the real challenge of:

Quiet and Prescott! Maybe overclock it just to show your m4d skillz.
Oh sure, it's easy to cool, but at $1000 it's not easy to afford.

I wouldn't own a Prescott based on what's available now. Looks like I'll be waiting for S775 or later to upgrade (unless I can get my EE!)

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:18 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Image
sounds a little better than most PC soundcard + PC speaker setups. :)
Do I see tubes and a phonograph? :) A big thumbs up!!!

May I ask what is behind the felt?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:59 am

Copper wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:{img]http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ra/ ... tereo1.jpg[/img}
sounds a little better than most PC soundcard + PC speaker setups. :)
Do I see tubes and a phonograph? :) A big thumbs up!!!

May I ask what is behind the felt?
Felt?

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:13 am

What type of speakers are you using?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:36 am

Copper wrote:What type of speakers are you using?
Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures.

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:23 pm

If you look to the east tonight you'll notice a green hue to the sky about three thousand miles away. :)

My audiophile years are a little behind me but I recall visiting an upper class audio shop about 15 years ago where they had set up a tubed system. It contained a phono with tubed preamp, a tubed preamp, dual single channel tubed main amps, and electrostatic panel speakers. My god was that thing nice. The only specific info I remember about the system was that the main amps were at that time Carver's flagship amps, costing $17,500 a pair. The rest of the system was of other brands.

I was instantly won over both by tubes and electrostatics. I also recall a speaker by Carver that was black laquer in color, flat and trapaziod in shape, contianed three or four cone base drivers, and had a ribbon driver about 3' in length. Those things were every rocker's dream. Man would they rock the house. Those electrostactics produced a depth, spatialness, and detail that was at that time unmatched, though.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:47 am

Chiming in a little late here, but here's the specs on those OEM Panaflo's Ralf's got for exhaust. In case anyone was curious.

Part Number....................... FBK-12G12LH
Manufacturer...................... Panasonic / Matsushita Electric, Japan
Size, In................................ 4.73" X 4.73" X 1.497"
Size, mm............................ 120mm x 120mm x 38mm
Voltage............................... 12 volts DC
Current................................ 0.20
Watts................................... 2.16
RPM .................................... 1700
Flow CFM (Max)................... 68.9
Noise (dBA)......................... 30
Bearing Type....................... Dual Ball Bearing ( NOT the Hydro-Wave)
Material-Venturi.................. UL94V-0 Plastic
Material-Propeller............... UL94V-0 Plastic
Life Expectancy-MTBF......... 60,000 Hours

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:04 pm

and for those wishing to purchase some...

http://www.thermalfx.com/merchant2/merc ... e=PAN120LB

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue May 04, 2004 6:36 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: I suppose I should update this thread, or maybe start a new one since I've changed some hardware since I started it.
A new thread will all of the info. from this thread summed up might be a good idea. Many who stumble into SPCR are looking for a model to copy. Your system is quite good AND simple. A great model to start or finish with.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue May 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Really Trip? I don't know anybody who made a copy of Ralf's setup Image

Wedge Image <-------- except him

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu May 20, 2004 3:31 pm

nice 8)

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:10 pm

Ralf:

I know this may be a stretch, but could you pleeeease take more pictures of your computer? Maybe one with the backside w/side panel removed?? That would help a LOT with helping me organize my cables in my new 3700!!

And a question about the 3700... I had trouble putting back on my side panels... Any tricks to getting that done? Or am I just being stoopid?

Thanks, Ralf.