Antec 300 - Did some work for my brother in law

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lsv

Antec 300 - Did some work for my brother in law

Post by Lsv » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey all,

I've slowly been upgrading my brother in law's computer over the years, recently I gave him my old Logitech G11 and also my Asus 5750 to replace his aging and extremely loud HID 3870. I also got him a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and the Antec 300 his rig is in. He only plays Eve and a little bit of Skyrim (at 720p/medium).

His rig is; Anthlon 64 5200+, 2gigs DDR2 667, 1TB WD Caviar Black and Asus 5750.

In any case I had a lot of fun working in the 300, I forgot just how nice of a job Antec did on this fairly cheap case. The cable management isn't the best but if you take a look at the side/rear shot you can see everything I've shoved in that little nook.

I have changed his previous setup which was;
120mm intake (side) 120mm exhaust (rear) and 140mm exhaust (top)

To this;
2x Fractal Design 120mm intakes (front) and 1x Noctua NF-P12 (with LN adapter) all attached to a spare Corsair fan controller from a 650D set to low. I've also covered the side intake with some spare dampening foam I have which I screwed through and into a spare 120mm fan to hold it in place, stopping a little bit of sound leaking out the side.

Temps after 1 hour Prime95 + Furmark; 45c CPU, 64c GFX. Not too quiet when cranked but not bad for a non-dampened case. The loudest thing in there are the intake fans, which are not dampened and do make noise even on low via the front grill/dust filter.

All in all I'm happy with the work I did for him. I believe I am turning into a silencing maniac lately, I'll be posting in a bit as I transfer my mom's P3 into a Bitfenix Outlaw from her dated 2000's beige OEM case and will give some basic feedback on the Outlaw. I'm excited to work on the flipped upside down case :)

Pics!

Side

Front

Back

Jimmy Rigged Sound dampening on the side vent

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Antec 300 - Did some work for my brother in law

Post by kuzzia » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Interesting, I would think the vibration from the harddrive would contribute in making the computer noisy.

Lsv

Post by Lsv » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:59 pm

kuzzia wrote:Interesting, I would think the vibration from the harddrive would contribute in making the computer noisy.
It does but this is the best I could do, luckily his HDs aren't very loud due to the two 120mm's sitting in front of it sucking in air. Those Fractal's aren't exactly the quietest fans, good fans, but could go quieter.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:11 pm

I also got the 300 it's nice case but the WD Blacks are the loudest harddrives that exist it's likely causing lot viberation noise. I went with Samsung hard drive for my build and don't see much viberation.

Lsv

Post by Lsv » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:02 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:I also got the 300 it's nice case but the WD Blacks are the loudest harddrives that exist it's likely causing lot viberation noise. I went with Samsung hard drive for my build and don't see much viberation.
Yea I was going to suggest he get other drives but he had already bought the Black's. Then again he doesn't care as much about noise as I do and his big concern was the failing 3870 and 12v 140mm he had up top. Making a case positive air pressure really makes a difference for dust as well.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Lsv wrote:
johnniecache7 wrote:I also got the 300 it's nice case but the WD Blacks are the loudest harddrives that exist it's likely causing lot viberation noise. I went with Samsung hard drive for my build and don't see much viberation.
Yea I was going to suggest he get other drives but he had already bought the Black's. Then again he doesn't care as much about noise as I do and his big concern was the failing 3870 and 12v 140mm he had up top. Making a case positive air pressure really makes a difference for dust as well.
I can't say I blame him the WB Black was likely expensive and is very fast drive. I think it's slightly faster then my Samsung F3 and F4 but still the 300 is great bang for the buck. The build looks great for what his bother does.