Compact, cool & quiet powerhouse all-rounder for a friend =)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flemeister

Compact, cool & quiet powerhouse all-rounder for a friend =)

Post by flemeister » Fri May 20, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm very happy with how this one turned out. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
Mobo: Asus P8H67-M EVO B3
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARS)
GPU: Gigabyte Silent Cell HD5770
Case: Silverstone TJ08
PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W
ODD: 2x Lite-On IHAS324
CPU Heatsink: Thermalright HR-02
System Fans: 3x Scythe Slipstream 120mm 1200RPM
Fan Controller: Zalman Fanmate 2 plus Splitter Cables and Extension Cables
Front USB 3.0: Silverstone FP36 Black

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by flemeister on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

justice99

Re: Compact, cool & quiet powerhouse all-rounder for a frien

Post by justice99 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:48 am

Very nice, how it sound?
Do you ear your PSU at idle?

systemlayers

Post by systemlayers » Sat May 21, 2011 7:25 pm

I like. Welcome to the HR-02 club :D

bozar

Post by bozar » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Nice being able to fit that cooler in, it's not a small one. Very clean as well!

WhiteFireDragon

Post by WhiteFireDragon » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

nice! that's almost going to be my exact setup with the HD5770 silent cell, CPU, motherboard, and fan. except i'll be using the 800rpm variant and a fractal design mini case instead of the TJ08. how are the temps for the GPU and CPU? i think you might not even need that fan on the hr-02 since it's really close to the rear exhaust fan, and also since you're running the CPU at stock. i would also undervolt it a little to run it even cooler

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu May 26, 2011 11:05 pm

justice99 wrote:Very nice, how it sound?
Do you ear your PSU at idle?
With the Slipstreams at 5v (~720RPM), it's a very pleasant kind of audible. Nice and smooth sounding. :)

At idle the PSU fan is drowned out by the Slipstreams @ 5v.

It ramps up significantly under CPU/GPU load however, a combination of it catching all the hot air coming out of the CPU heatsink, and also the ~250W load on it. I had planned to put a plastic sheet on top of the HR-02 to prevent the PSU fan from sucking in this warm air. However, even with it in place, it did nothing to stop the PSU fan from ramping up under load, possibly because it was still drawing in hot air from somewhere, or the ~250W load was still going to ramp up the fan anyway, or possibly because the duct was suffocating the PSU fan. With the duct in place the only way for the PSU fan to get air was from the front of the case, and the CPU fan would likely steal most of that air, leaving little/none for the PSU fan. :(
systemlayers wrote:I like. Welcome to the HR-02 club :D
:D

Remember that this build was for a friend. However, I ended up getting one for my own rig anyway. Pics of that beast can be found here, although I've updated it a little since those photos were taken. :)
bozar wrote:Nice being able to fit that cooler in, it's not a small one. Very clean as well!
Yeah it's a nice fit alright. And to think that I was originally planning to squeeze (coax!) a Silver Arrow or NH-D14 into the slightly smaller Antec NSK3480 case! :roll:

Thanks, although I wish it could be cleaner, but with cables needing to go everywhere in the case, that would be wishful thinking. :) Modular power supplies would've been 10-20mm longer (butting up against the optical drives), and only removed perhaps one or two cables from the build. Not to mention the price premium.
WhiteFireDragon wrote:nice! that's almost going to be my exact setup with the HD5770 silent cell, CPU, motherboard, and fan. except i'll be using the 800rpm variant and a fractal design mini case instead of the TJ08. how are the temps for the GPU and CPU? i think you might not even need that fan on the hr-02 since it's really close to the rear exhaust fan, and also since you're running the CPU at stock. i would also undervolt it a little to run it even cooler
CPU temps idle at or below 30c, GPU temp is in the mid 30's. Max temps in Prime95+Furmark and with the Slipstreams at 5v are CPU ~70c and GPU ~85c. PSU fan going nuts here of course. Your Fractal Define Mini should help to keep that noise down. :)

I still wanted that fan on the CPU heatsink since it would keep the CPU a little cooler under load while adding practically nothing to the noise level.

Unfortunately, the Asus P8H67-M EVO has no CPU undervolting, only overvolting.