Quiet P180 build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

phaelax

Quiet P180 build

Post by phaelax » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:33 am

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd share my current system. Excuse the lack of pictures, I built it back in '07 and only snapped a quick pick of the inside while I was cleaning it last night.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz)
Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 4x1GB DDR2 800
Samsung sata20x DL-DVD burner
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Antec P180B mid-tower
SeaSonic S12 II 430w PSU

Seagate 320GB sata2
WD 1TB sata2
WD 40GB IDE(ata-100) (used as a scratch disk)
WD 400GB sata external USB

I'm using the stock Intel heatsink and fan on the CPU, stock 120mm fans in the case (top, rear, lower chamber). It's not overclocked. There was a floppy drive I put in at the time but never actually connected. Last night I pulled it out and connected a card reader instead. While I had the case out I decided to clean the dust out and apply fresh thermal compound.

Here's a pic of the inside. The two ribbon cables are for the harddrive and another leading to the front audio panel for the audigy card.
http://zimnox.com/temp/pc/clean.jpg

Far as I can tell, this thing is as quiet as if it was turned off. The usb drive makes a little noise when accessed and it sits on top of my case. And you can hear the dvd-rom, which can be rather loud but it's rarely used unless I'm burning something. Other than that, I only hear the fans if my ear is on the case. After more than 3 years, all the stock fans are still as quiet as when I first turned it on. Now I just wish my Buffalo NAS would have a more quiet fan.