Silent Modded Lian Li Test Bench

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dsp9753

Silent Modded Lian Li Test Bench

Post by dsp9753 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:06 am

I have gone through numerous cases (NZXT H2, Silverstone FT02, Antec p180, Fractal Design R3, and other cheaper cases) in search of the perfect silent computer. Each had its pros and cons, but I believe I finally found the perfect case for me.

The lian li t60. However, the T60 does not have good cable routing becuase it is a test bench. But with some cutting, I was able to cut some holes to create a very clean look that I enjoy.

Also, finding the perfect components took awhile as well. I have used various fans and PSU's (like Seasonic x650) until I finally came upon the perfect combination below.

Now on to the hardware for this silent machine:
CPU: 2500k CPU with a Thermalright HR-02
GPU: Radeon 6970 with a Thermalright Shaman
PSU: Kingwin Stryker STR-500
Fan: 2x Scythe Slipstreams undervolted as low as they will go (around 400-500 rpms)
SSD: Intel G2 120gb

I also enjoy a lot of media and 120gbs was not large enough for my needs but hdd's are way WAY too loud. So I moved everything to a custom made NAS thats sits in a different room for silence!

After all of this silencing, I have also finally realized that monitors make noise too! I have tried over 8 different models of monitors and I have finally picked 2 monitors that do not make any noticeable humming/buzzing sounds. The HPzr2740w and the Dell 2007fp.

After all of this testing, the loudest thing in my room is now my ears. I believe I am suffering from tinnitus as the only thing I can now hear is silent buzzing in my ear every now and then. With only 2 fans running at 400-500 rpm, most people do not even realize my computer is even on. Thank you SPCR for all of your help and reviews! I would not have been able to get this point without your help!

If you have any questions/requests, please let me know and I would be happy to help.

Pictures below:

Here is my 16tb NAS running unraid. It still has about 6 more hdd spaces available so I can add an additional 12 more tbs or more. That is also my UPS sitting on top of my NAS. It provides around 50 minutes of power to my NAS in case of power outage.

Finally, a picture of my desk setup. My computer sits below the desk and it is absolutely silent!

Lsv

Re: Silent Modded Lian Li Test Bench

Post by Lsv » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Looks good, but the dust! Up next you need to make a cover for that bench with holes for the fans to intake/exhaust ;)