Raised 'roof' Antek ISK 110 to fit higher coolers, easy mod!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

niels007

Raised 'roof' Antek ISK 110 to fit higher coolers, easy mod!

Post by niels007 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Tiny case, slight nightmare to assemble, and very low..

I wanted to use a Scythe Big Shuriken 2, knowing it was too high. The motto was buy first, fix problems when they come! :) I found a simple way to raise the side panel so you can fit higher coolers. At the price, including the fanless 'brick' powersupply, you easily end up with an affordable, tiny, near silent mini pc. The Scythe fan never really spins up beyond 650rpm on the Intel I3 4330 cpu.

Here's how I did it. The metal mesh in the side panel easily comes off by bending the few lips on the inside. The holes in the mesh are just the right size for M2.5 screws to 'finger tight' self-tap in. Perhaps other self tapping screws will work fine as well, or better!

I used a M2.5x25mm screw. First a big washer, then a plastic spacer (3mm high), then big washer, then tall spacer. While a bit fiddly to put into place, the two big washers will clamp to the corners of the plastic Antec case 'lid', as you screw the bolt into the mesh hole. Using some black tape to cover the the gap and voila, a ~1.5cm raised roof case with plenty of space for the Big Shuriken while not looking all that ghetto!

Didn't make better pics, but did make a sketch of the situation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: Raised 'roof' Antek ISK 110 to fit higher coolers, easy

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 28, 2014 2:31 pm

nice!