It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BitFenix Outlaw - P3 for the mum
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 am 

Hey all,

I've gone on a silent crazy and have upgraded or worked on a number of cases for friends and family.

This post will center around the Outlaw build for my mum, she was using an old beige OEM from 2000~ for her P3 with an extremely loud 40mm fan on the Pentium 3 which sounded like a tornado. She uses this system to play Freecell and do basic Cakewalk work which she moves to a USB key if needed.

Build - P3 900mhz (probably a Coppermine), 384megs of ram, ATI Rage 128 16mb, 80gb Seagate IDE drive (didn't check which), Win XP Pro.

I've moved her build into the BitFenix Outlaw which I picked up today for $40; boxing day sale. The case was very nice to work with, although I found myself turning it upside down to work on before placing it on it's feet and realizing I was working on a flipped case.

Some things I did not like were the quality of their stand offs and threads, they were very uneven and would not hold. I had to use nuts on 2 of the 6 stand offs to keep them in. But in the end, at $40 for this great case it's not a big deal and I did take the last case which was a display model so maybe it was abused a bit

The quality of everything else was top notch, the case doors hold well and have a tighter fit than my R3, the front panel removes and re-attaches very tightly and the soft touch plastic feels and looks like some high quality stuff.

There's ample room in the Outlaw and thanks to the side vent I placed the Bitfenix Spectre 120mm fan it came with in it with a resistor and some rubber fan screws as my CPU fan, it plugged in fine and is running at 700rpm cooling the entire motherboard as the CPU HSF. There's also a Noctua S12B at the front for addition cooling, it's at 500rpm... not that it even needs it, I could probably run the whole thing passive, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

All in all I found myself really enjoying the flipped motherboard placement, if I was into case windows it would be a nice mod project to see all my stuff flipped turned upside down :P

-

I can't speak about the Outlaw concerning newer much more power intensive computers but from my experience today and the cable management offered in the Outlaw I will be recommending this case to any friends looking to build systems if they do not have any animals or a lot of dust in their computer area.

The loudest thing in it are the fans, I have them running higher than I want but it's much better than the old 40mm fan @ 4000rpm or whatever crazy RPM it was at.

Temps and pics-

Temps before xfer - 42c load prime95 15 minutes.

Temps after xfer (with MX4) - 29c load prime95 30 minutes.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm

Post subject: Re: BitFenix Outlaw - P3 for the mum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:33 am 

Your mom was probably like: "Yay, a new computer!" <power on> "Nope, just Chuck Testa!". :lol:

CASE: Antec Solo; MOBO: MSI P67A-C45; CPU: i5 2500K@4.4GHz + Mugen2; RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz; GPU: PowerColor 5750 1GBD5-S3DH passive; PSU: Corsair HX520; SSD: Patriot Inferno 120GB; HDD: Samsung F2 1TB HD103SI; SOUND: Asus Xonar DX; FANS: Slipstream @700RPM exhaust; 2xNexus 92mm @6V intake. DISPLAY: 26" LCD Fujitsu Siemens Amilo SL 3260W

Post subject: Re: BitFenix Outlaw - P3 for the mum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:28 pm 

KadazanPL wrote:
Your mom was probably like: "Yay, a new computer!" <power on> "Nope, just Chuck Testa!". :lol:

Well she didn't need a new computer, she has a Zotac MAG in her living room that I bought her some time ago.

This machine she uses to produce/write music on and she said if it wasn't for the red LED she wouldn't know it's on.

i7 920 (no oc) w/ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P6T | Asus 6950 DC II 2gb | 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz | Intel X-25M 80gb Gen2 | 2x WD Caviar Green 1TB 64m cache |2x WD Caviar Green 2TB 64m cache | Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Seasonic X-660 | Fractal Design R3 + 4x Noctua S12B 120mm