Mini Box HTPC

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mari0-Br0s

Mini Box HTPC

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 am

Hello guys,

Here is my lastest build: https://picasaweb.google.com/1178875705 ... directlink

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S
CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-L12
CPU fan: Nexus 90mm Real Silent case Fan
MOBO: ASUS Z87i-Deluxe
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 8GB (single DIMM)
SSD: Intel 320 series 80GB (re-used from an old build)
Optical: Panasonic UJ-875A (DVD burner, no Blu-Ray)
CASE: Silverstone SG05BB-Lite
CASE Fan: Yate Loon sleeve bearing 120mm
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-G

Not pictured, but I have since added a more powerful GPU, I build this to replace my Mac Mini, was using the Intel HD 4600 only, but since I've decided to play video games and this onboard GPU is crap, so I got an ASUS GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GD5. It was the fastest quiet card I could fit into this. The most powerful is the GTX670-DCMOC-2GD5 from ASUS, but it is too noisy and the power consumpsion of a GTX670 would have made my PSU fan run faster and the overall heat generated into this small chassis wouldn't have been good. So the GTX650 Ti Boost overclocked was the best option with the best stock cooler.

There are slower card that can fit in this case, but they're noisier, like the Zotac and the EVGA stock GTX650Ti.

If you have any questions, let me know.

EDI:T Oh yeah, I bought the YateLoon fan because it is the same than the Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case fan, but has a 1350rpm instead of 1000rpm of max speed. But unfortunately, it isn't quiet like the Nexus one, even if you do make it run at 600-700rpm. There's a small noise that I can't descride directly related to the fan speed. If the speed increase, the frequency of the noise also rise up. It comes from the motor of the fan in the middle, at 600-700rpm you can hear it at about 3-4 feet max distance.

I tried the stock fan that ship with the case and the exact same sound can be heard. The Noctua 120mm fan that came with my CPU heatsink does not have this sound, but is way more noisier because of the way the fan is built, so I'm not using this.

Anyone experienced this?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Mini Box HTPC

Post by MikeC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 am

Mari0-Br0s wrote:EDI:T Oh yeah, I bought the YateLoon fan because it is the same than the Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case fan, but has a 1350rpm instead of 1000rpm of max speed. But unfortunately, it isn't quiet like the Nexus one, even if you do make it run at 600-700rpm. There's a small noise that I can't descride directly related to the fan speed. If the speed increase, the frequency of the noise also rise up. It comes from the motor of the fan in the middle, at 600-700rpm you can hear it at about 3-4 feet max distance.

I tried the stock fan that ship with the case and the exact same sound can be heard. The Noctua 120mm fan that came with my CPU heatsink does not have this sound, but is way more noisier because of the way the fan is built, so I'm not using this.

Anyone experienced this?
The YL120 is NOT exactly the same as the Nexus120. We discuss this in our review of both models. The Nexus has sharper, thinner blades, appear more aerodynamic. Not sure of motor construction, but there is an audible difference to us.

How about just running the intake fan slower? If you're using this for a HTPC, the CPU -- your only serious source of heat -- is coasting anyway, so it shouldn't need much airflow.

Mari0-Br0s

Re: Mini Box HTPC

Post by Mari0-Br0s » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks for the info Mike.

The fan is already being slowed down at 600-700rpm by the ASUS Q-fan control in the BIOS. I do not know how I could make it run slower than that.

But in the end, I'll probably just buy another Nexus 120mm like I have been using in all my other build. They're just hard to find nowadays, eBay seems my only option to get it in Canada.