Small and fairly quiet ITX build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shredder

Small and fairly quiet ITX build

Post by Shredder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi!

When i first started this build i had no idea if it will actually work. So with a prayer to the almighty i purchased the following components:
motherboard: Asus P8H67-I
CPU: Pentium G620, 65W TDP
RAM: 2x4 GB Kingston 1333MHz, low profile
HDD: WD Scorpio Black, 750gb, 7200 rpm
Case: JNC Cute Q1 - with built in DC-DC converter and an external power adapter of 60W ( the reason of my concern )
Case dimensions are H190 xL230 xW60 mm.
So i put them all together and to my surprise it worked. :)
The first think i noticed about the CPU was the high idle voltage, around 1V with a VID of 1.16V. Since the mobo allows undervolting the cpu, the integrated gpu and ram i've decided to go for it. So after a few trials ( lots actually) the system is stable@ CPU offset -0.24V, GPU offset -0.04V, ram 1.4V.
i have no idea about the power consumption, but if it works with a low quality 60w adapter i guess is small.
Anyway it's used only for browsing and movies. Probably the highest load that this pc will see is when Mozilla stops responding while playing a video from youtube.
Ignore the CPU temp, the window is open and outside are -10C. Normally is 28C idle and 35-38C full load (prime 95). The CPU fan stays at 1100 rpm. I removed the 60mm Fractal design fan, it was very noisy.

Sorry about the picture quality, they are taken with a webcam (hd but still a webcam)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HFat

Re: Small and fairly quiet ITX build

Post by HFat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Shredder wrote:So after a few trials ( lots actually) the system is stable@ CPU offset -0.24V, GPU offset -0.04V, ram 1.4V.
I've not tried to undervolt recent hardware but with Intel it used to be that seemingly stable undervolts weren't quite stable and could result in out-of-the-blue crashes every other week.
If you need real stability, I'd recommend a large safety margin (like using 0.05V or more above what seems stable for a few hours) if you aren't willing to do extremely extensive testing.

Shredder

Re: Small and fairly quiet ITX build

Post by Shredder » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 am

Just a small update. Recently i switched the power supply with a FSP-NET36. 12V 36 W certified level V. Works great so far.
Funny think is that i've bought an MSI E350-IA E44 (zacate e350) in order to lower the power consumption even more. Or at least i thought so. With the 36W power supply it doesn't boot. That is with 8gb of ram. with 4 boots just fine. 8gigs and a 60W psu everything is ok. Probably is something wrong with the mobo, but as long as it's stable and works with a regular psu there is no reason for a warranty return.