Fanless Pc build HD-PLEX H5 s.g. I5 5675C

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

iome

Fanless Pc build HD-PLEX H5 s.g. I5 5675C

Post by iome » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:39 am

Hello i would like to share ,with my poor English, my first fanless pc build.

A little time ago i have decided to change my eight years old ,but still effective, PC with something new and different from traditional one.

I wanted a general purpose pc (personal productivity, internet surfing - youtube, HD video playing, lo-res gaming, programming) built with fewest possible internal component, with low power consumption, fanless and with a compact case.

Searching the internet (in sites like SPCR) i'he found the components that match my desidered build:

- Case: Hd-Plex 5 second generation fanless case.
This case is stated to support up to 95 TDW CPU whit eight copper heat pipe cooling.
It is not the smallest case but can accept atx motherboard and has a lot of space to support
upgrades / new internal component.
It can accept a low power discrete card that can be passively cooled with
additional pipes.

- CPU: Intel I5 5675C.
It suits my needs because is a desktop class (not underpowered laptop) 65W TDP I5 and it
has an integrate Iris Pro 6200 gpu adeguate for my usage (at this time i don't want a discre
gpu).

- PSU: Hd-Plex 160W AC-DC fanless and 250W DC-DC fanless atx.
Power is adeguate for the build.

- RAM: Trident X DDR3 2400 16GB
For higher bandwith to the integrated gpu.

- HD: Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB in M.2 format (sata,ahci)
I like the compact form M.2. The sata,ahci version is the “slower” type of M.2 but costs
less for GB then pcie,nvmi and is more than adequate for general purpose usage.

-MB: Asus Z97-P.
It as a Z97 chipset, M.2 socket and support 4K HDMI.

- OTHER : no need for other internal component (DVD , Hard Disk) because if needed i use
external usb version.

So i built the PC.

Below some pictures of the internals and external of the finished PC.
ext.png
int1.png
int2.png

My impression of the main fanless components from HD-PLEX (case, cpu cooling and PSU) is good, they seems quality built.

I've put the pc on test for stability and temperature, below some results and measurements.
I5 cpu standard 3.1 Ghz - DDR3 on 2133 Mhz - room temperature 19.5 C.

After 1:45 hour of prime 95 4 thread blend test , average CPU package temperature 75 C

After 11 hours of mixed used (idle, office, internet, video playing, 3D gaming). Average CPU temp 45 C. MAX 76 C.
11h.png
Two pictures of case temperature measurement after some hours of 3D Gaming at CPU package temp of 75 C. Below temperature on top of CPU aluminium fins. 54 C room temperature 19.5 C.
tempcpu.png
Below temperature on the fins on aluminium case side with CPU cooling pipes. 49 C room temperature 19.5 C
sidetemp.png
I'm curios to test the pc during summer time with room temperature rise of 11 C.

Noise test result: absolute no noise e no coil whine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: Fanless Pc build HD-PLEX H5 s.g. I5 5675C

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:07 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Looks great. What temps are you seeing for the m.2 SSD?

iome

Post by iome » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:10 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

Looks great. What temps are you seeing for the m.2 SSD?
Hi

After hours of mixed usage (internet, 3D gaming, install software) Hwinfo reports average SSD temperature is 45 C (room 19.5 C). I never measured the temp with the heat probe, maybe i'll do it next time. I'm curious to see the temp during summer time.

ssdtemp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:06 am

thanks!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm curios to test the pc during summer time with room temperature rise of 11 C.
It's a fairly linear relationship. So, if the room ambient temp rises 11C, the measured component temps should rise 11C.

iome

Post by iome » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:06 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
It's a fairly linear relationship. So, if the room ambient temp rises 11C, the measured component temps should rise 11C.

Well yes. I wonder ,from my limited knowledge, if there is some non linear increment due to less efficient heath dissipation when the CPU operates near the thermal limit likely when you play 3d games in summer temperature.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:31 pm

You'll be the test case :)

You could try some winter time tests if you have a power meter handy. Measure the temps and power use at the wall with the current conditions. Then, go into the BIOS and overvolt the CPU a bit, say 0.05V. Use the Adaptive Vcore adjustment on your Asus board. Then, re-run the tests and compare. Do this a couple of times more so you end up with 4 data points. Make sure there isn't any throttling. See if the power use and temps make a straight line or not.

It's not a direct comparision, but you are effectively pushing the CPU closer to it's target temp limit as a hotter room would do. You'll also get to see how much heat is added to the case ambient and also get a worst case look at the VRM temps (kinda unfair to them as they also incur heat rise from the added conversion loss).

Conversely, you can play with undervolting and see what the temp benefits are.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:52 am

Would love to see some power consumption figures if you have them. I'm considering a similar build (different case though) and want to know what I can expect.