Project Ayr

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

slipperyskip

Project Ayr

Post by slipperyskip » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:16 pm

The objective of this project was to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a passively cooled, solid state, completely silent home theater PC design.

Specs:
Intel Core i3-3225 processor w/HD4000 graphics
Silverstone HE02 heatsink
Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi Mini-ITX motherboard
8GB DDR3 system memory
Intel Cherryville SSD
150W Pico-PSU
Microsoft Windows 8

More here

NeoGeo

Re: Project Ayr

Post by NeoGeo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 pm

That’s lovely. Quite compact with contemporary design that would match many home theater setups. Personally, I'd prefer mine to have a flat top to serve as temporary shelf for movies cases, remotes and such. Anyways, impressive custom case design. I assumed you built the base and metal framing around the heatsink in addition to the wood framing. If so, that’s rather hardcore.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 am

That looks beautiful, i love the way you made the HS a feature it almost makes it look like a CD auto changer.
Is the frame around the HS that the wood shell sits on aluminum as well ?

slipperyskip

Post by slipperyskip » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 am

NeoGeo wrote:That’s lovely. Quite compact with contemporary design that would match many home theater setups. Personally, I'd prefer mine to have a flat top to serve as temporary shelf for movies cases, remotes and such. Anyways, impressive custom case design. I assumed you built the base and metal framing around the heatsink in addition to the wood framing. If so, that’s rather hardcore.
Thanks NeoGeo. The entire case is made primarily from wood. I use prototyping methods to simulate aluminum. The paint I use is an industrial variety that contains real aluminum. The first and most difficult step in making aluminum castings is to build a mold using wood. See photos below for the flat topped version.
Spoon Boy wrote:That looks beautiful, i love the way you made the HS a feature it almost makes it look like a CD auto changer.
Is the frame around the HS that the wood shell sits on aluminum as well ?
Thank you! The goal was to integrate the heatsink into the overall design. Nothing that you see is structural except the base. The shell/shroud is all attached to or hanging from the heatsink.