Simple Chieftec ATX i7 / 750ti build.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aerial

Simple Chieftec ATX i7 / 750ti build.

Post by aerial » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:47 am

The idea was, to use old chieftec server atx case, that was really cheap (ebay), and in my opinion, beats many expensive cases with sound dampening.
Chieftec WH-01B-B.

Image Image

Case is made out of very thick steel panels (compared to what is used these days).
What is most important, all panels don't have any ventilation holes, it is all solid steel, both side, bottom and top.

Setup:
i7 2700k @ 4.8ghz (1.28v) + macho 140mm (TY-140 @ 650rpm)
msi gaming 750ti @ minimum ~900rpm
intel ssd & WD10EZRX on foam
RM750 fan never turns on with this load

Case sits on the floor, last pic only to show how it looks.
I'm really happy with the result, no noise, no coil whine getting through that thick steel case. Also no issues with dust/cleaning, all panels are solid, no mesh, you can easily wipe it (compared to various gimmky ventilation solutions in modern cases).
Last edited by aerial on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Simple Chieftec ATX i7 / 750ti build.

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:25 am

aerial wrote:Also no issues with dust/cleaning, all panels are solid, no mesh, you can easily wipe it (compared to various gimmky ventilation solutions in modern cases).

Nicely clean build, as usual coming from you. Just for the sake of curiosity, which are the load temps using the typical SPCR stress-testing tools (Prime95 Small FFT + Furmark)?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:41 am

Nice. With the obligatory cat, too.

aerial

Post by aerial » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:48 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
aerial wrote:Also no issues with dust/cleaning, all panels are solid, no mesh, you can easily wipe it (compared to various gimmky ventilation solutions in modern cases).

Nicely clean build, as usual coming from you. Just for the sake of curiosity, which are the load temps using the typical SPCR stress-testing tools (Prime95 Small FFT + Furmark)?
They are fine, around 10 degrees higher than benchtable? Cpu could probably heat up to 75~. I did not stress it too much in benchmarks. Most load I can generate is some batch photo processing that utilizes all threads, but it is still nowhere near as intensive as prime.
In real world, cpu temps never exceed 60 in games or some cpu heavier normal tasks.

It works well with such little ventilation, mainly because gpu dumps almost no heat into the case. And cpu cooling, where heatsink is placed so close to rear panel, will work just fine, as long as there is no power hungry gpu below it. Also note that sandy bridge temps are much lower than newer gen cpus, due to proper contact between core and ihs.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:12 pm

a duct from back of heatsink to the rear exhaust might help benchmark temps, but not obviously not necessary for real world use.

nice job on the hdd isolation, but keep in mind that foam like that may break down over time.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Also, I wouldn't place the exposed circuit side of the HDD against the foam.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:57 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Also, I wouldn't place the exposed circuit side of the HDD against the foam.
good point.
this is the only real situation where putting the bottom up would make a significant dif. :wink:

aerial

Post by aerial » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:31 pm

Ok points taken, I will flip the hdd upside down.
But as far as hdd temps go, it is between 30 and 35 C, so really not an issue.