Lone Industries L1 - J2900 No Moving Parts & Silent

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stevo_

Lone Industries L1 - J2900 No Moving Parts & Silent

Post by Stevo_ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 pm

After transferring the guts of my L1 to my L2, I wanted to do doing something very minimalist with the L1. So I ordered up some parts and ended up with this;

Mobo: Asrock Q2900-ITX
RAM: G SKill SO-DIMM 2x4GB 1333
SSD: Samsung 128GB(actually swapped out from L2, package in photo has a 256GB)
Wifi:Intel PCIE x1 slot card
Mini-PCIE: Mfactors MR15 adapter for 2x64GB Micro SD cards
PSU: Toshiba 30W 19V Brick + HD PLEX 150W(had it lying around way overkill)

Decided to go with Centrino PCIE x1 card over mini pcie version as the card has antenna connectors built-in to pci bracket. Only real downside of the mobo no provision for Wifi on the IO shield or a bracket.

PSU sanity check

Ready for bootable USB stick with latest Linux Mint

Linux Mint OS boot and install was smooth, found wifi and all mobo hardware without any help. The only thing that required extra attention was my Samsung 2540 laserjet, just about every other Samsung was in the list but that one, downloaded the ULD driver from Samsung, su'd and installed about 5 seconds later. System runs very snappy, fast boots, and all apps tried so far run fast and smooth. I'm sure this thing could handle any HTPC type tasks as well outside of gaming. Pretty much have stopped using my L2 Windows 7 box.

Heatsink and brick barely warm to the touch most of the time. At the wall power, idle 12.75W, running a DVD movie ~22W, so 30W adapter brick should be fine as CPU has TDP of 10W.

MR15 adapter with 2x64GB, works great! Contrary to manufacturer you can boot from them though it's likely highly hardware/BIOS/driver etc dependent, tried it with a Win10Preview boot made to one of the cards thru an SD micro adapter on the L2. Mfactors also related that the MR15 limit was a 32GB card but once again I think that is hardware/BIOS/driver dependent. Both show up as USB devices on the desktop.

Edit: Finally got around to loading Linux Mint on one of the 64GB SDs from my original boot stick, worked fine but does take about 65% longer to boot up. Power button to login screen ~14sec SSD versus ~23sec SD. This does give the capability of a fanless and near wireless(with exception of the power button) build with the Q1900DC version of this mobo with built-in Dc-DC regulator.

May get a lit Vandal switch as there's absolutely no noise, and very little light when it's buttoned up. I now notice that my Dell LCD Monitor makes some apparent coil whine, how long has this been going on.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Lone Industries L1 - J2900 No Moving Parts & Silent

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:30 am

Stevo_ wrote:I now notice that my Dell LCD Monitor makes some apparent coil whine, how long has this been going on.
Don't you hate that? Real silencing is a cursed endeavor.

zoodeef

Post by zoodeef » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 am

Lone Industries L2 - Thick as a Brick (14 items). L1 - Thin Mint ... Define r4. many of the parts would be similar, and may switch out a few too. .... the h90 is pretty much silent..the only noise i can clearly hear is from the graphics card ... I also got a Crucial msata 240gb drive to add more space and not have to ...

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:42 am

zoodeef wrote:Lone Industries L2 - Thick as a Brick (14 items). L1 - Thin Mint ... Define r4. many of the parts would be similar, and may switch out a few too. .... the h90 is pretty much silent..the only noise i can clearly hear is from the graphics card ... I also got a Crucial msata 240gb drive to add more space and not have to ...
R4 is a 56L case, L1/L2 are ~5/5.3L. But this thread has nothing to do with my L2, or moving parts like H90s and GPUs.