Silverstone FT02 build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aerial

Silverstone FT02 build

Post by aerial » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am

Same old setup, i7 2700k with cryorig r1, other pics with phanteks tc14pe.
In the middle there is tacens aura pro fan 140mm running at 5v.
Later I changed 750ti with mk-26 to gtx780 with same cooler, and 2x140mm fans @ 5v.

I was happy with how build looks, but as for cooling performance.. It doesn't work that well, if bottom 180mm fans are set to very low rpm (minimum to be quiet). Then they don't push the air through the case, only work as gentle intake. That means a lot of hot air gets stuck in the upper area of the case. Seems like there is not enough exhaust, and passive ventilation throigh top mesh can't keep up if you have high tdp card. Of course if you increase speed of bottom fans then results are great, but it isn't quiet, at least not spcr standard. Any review that shows these fans that run at "low" speed set via stock fan controller. That still is very audiable unfortunalely. If you slow them down further, it has big impact on cooling performance.
Of course setup with 750ti worked great because of how cool the card is.
I also didn't notice much difference in the performance of prolimatech mk-26, running in vertical position. However, fanless was quite bit worse, because air couldn't get between gaps in radiator, despite 180mm fan blowing right under it. Adding 120mm fan in 5,25'' area, that pushed air directly between radiator fins, that did the trick.
But comparing horizontal to vertical mount of the cooler, with fans, there was very little difference. If there was difference, it was caused by insufficient air exhaust from the case, because of 180mm fans set to very low rpm.
It is definitely nice looking case, and very well built. But I wouldn't say it is good choice for building silent setup.
What is important to note, all the noise is coming through the top, so if you play to put the case on the floor, that is really bad idea, you will hear even really good fans. Putting case on top of the desk is much better idea. Just keep the top of the case above your head level.

lb_felipe

Re: Silverstone FT02 build

Post by lb_felipe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:47 am

Pretty.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:34 pm

aerial wrote:I was happy with how build looks, but as for cooling performance.. It doesn't work that well, if bottom 180mm fans are set to very low rpm (minimum to be quiet). Then they don't push the air through the case, only work as gentle intake. That means a lot of hot air gets stuck in the upper area of the case. Seems like there is not enough exhaust, and passive ventilation throigh top mesh can't keep up if you have high tdp card. Of course if you increase speed of bottom fans then results are great, but it isn't quiet, at least not spcr standard. Any review that shows these fans that run at "low" speed set via stock fan controller. That still is very audiable unfortunalely. If you slow them down further, it has big impact on cooling performance.
I also didn't notice much difference in the performance of prolimatech mk-26, running in vertical position. However, fanless was quite bit worse, because air couldn't get between gaps in radiator, despite 180mm fan blowing right under it. Adding 120mm fan in 5,25'' area, that pushed air directly between radiator fins, that did the trick.
But comparing horizontal to vertical mount of the cooler, with fans, there was very little difference. If there was difference, it was caused by insufficient air exhaust from the case, because of 180mm fans set to very low rpm.
90 dregree orientation has issues with certain pipe arrangements, there are reports where the Accelero and Gigabyte cards have issues, and its very similar design in terms of pipe orientation with the MK26. I never have own a mk26 to test this, but one of the reasons i moved from the accelero IV before i moved to the FT05. Ill run some tests maybe tonight or tomorrow to compare.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 pm

aerial wrote:I was happy with how build looks, but as for cooling performance.. It doesn't work that well, if bottom 180mm fans are set to very low rpm (minimum to be quiet). Then they don't push the air through the case, only work as gentle intake. That means a lot of hot air gets stuck in the upper area of the case. Seems like there is not enough exhaust, and passive ventilation throigh top mesh can't keep up if you have high tdp card. Of course if you increase speed of bottom fans then results are great, but it isn't quiet, at least not spcr standard. Any review that shows these fans that run at "low" speed set via stock fan controller. That still is very audiable unfortunalely. If you slow them down further, it has big impact on cooling performance.
I wouldn't have thought air trapping would be an issue, especially with how Silverstone markets their 90 degree design as being more natural for heat dissipation.

Still a very nice build, though!

aerial

Post by aerial » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:47 am

You know, top of the case is standard extension slots, whole case frame, cables, and then there is top panel, which is a mesh. It is significantly more restrictive than for example top in normal atx case that has only a mesh there. Because there is less layers.