Quiet HTPC build video

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Darth Santa Fe

Quiet HTPC build video

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:29 am

I wanted a nice, quiet, lower cost HTPC for my entertainment center, so here's a video showing it all go together! No picture gallery, but I figure having the video makes up for that. I made the video in kind of a "how to" format for those who don't know about building computers (which most of you likely do, but I can't say the same for everyone else :) ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igf1LT7fXfI

I did cut some corners to save on costs, including using the original Intel and PNY heatsinks. The CPU and GPU both run cool enough that it actually remains pretty quiet even with the cheap stock heatsinks! I also sit about 7 feet away, so that helps too.

Jipa

Re: Quiet HTPC build video

Post by Jipa » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:54 am

The video is fine, but personally I think to it could be shorter. I mean 16 mins is fine if you're looking to buy that particular case, but if you're highlighting the cooling choices you made, shorter would be better.

Either way, the build seems just fine. As long as the components have low enough power consumption, you'll be just fine with small coolers.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Excellent video, and very nice build.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks! I actually did cut quite a bit out of the video to shorten it to what it is. There is a lot I decided to leave in though, since I felt it could be applied to situations that may come up during a build, or that it could help with making a better decision when choosing parts.

It does run cool! Even when under a load, the Intel fan barely speeds up, and I only notice it when the room is completely quiet. Maybe I'll replace the Intel fan eventually, but the heatsink is sufficient for the low power CPU in this case.