DNK-H Silvery: my small, quiet and powerful build.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AlfredHuberName

DNK-H Silvery: my small, quiet and powerful build.

Post by AlfredHuberName » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 am

Hi, everybody!
I want share my experience of building a powerful mini PC. One month ago I start searching for a replacement of my old one Core i5-570 desktop. As far as I understand, most of the mini PCs based on mobile or ultra low voltages CPU's. Not enough for me, because of image and video editing. I found LUNA Design project with google. I like the appearance of there case. It's looks really nice! After reading some reviews on the web I ordered this config:

- DNK-H case Silvery
- Asus H110T mainboard
- Intel Core i5-7500
- Lenovo 256Gb M.2 2242 SSD
- 8Gb DDR4 Samsung
- As additional I add my own Seagate 4Tb 2.5 HDD (some problems with installation), and M.2 Broadcom WI-FI I'm waiting from eBay now.

So, the case coming assembled with purchased components:

First of all, I found that the cable management is easy as possible. All cables with optimized length and don't take much space inside the case. Second thing, that surprised me, was a cooling system. From the fist look, no air vents on the top and sides. Only on the bottom side. Very strange, how it's can handle 65W CPU's?

Then, when I check the fan and heatsink, I realized, that the airflow direction going by different way, than regular cooling systems. It's going out of the case, not inside of it. We will see the efficiency of the cooling with some tests later. Now, from my opinion it's works perfect and it's very nice idea. Bravo!!!

Also, I like power button. It's push's very tactile with nice click. The aluminum top part, milling from solid aluminum material. With perfect surface finish and glossy chamfer. Looks great!

Also, they provide there own back I/O shield for Asus H110T mainboard.

AC power line connector to internal PSU and connectors for external antennas. But I can't use external antennas, because of they for mPCIe WI-FI radios. For my future M.2 adapter I can use internal ones only.

So, like I say before, assembling is very simple. But I found one problem with my 4Tb HDD drive installation. Case don't close with my HDD. About 2mm was not enough to close the case. Seem's like something pushing to the HDD. I email to support and they answered, that yes, for 15mm HDD's needs use low profile SATA power cable and advise me to cut this cable from my previous PC SATA power extension cord. I did it and the case finally closed. They say, that they provides this cables with pre-installed 4Tb drives only. Not good idea, I think...

This is the test of the idle temperatures. Most of them below 40C (with ambient temperature 21C). And the fan speed around 1000rpm. In idle state it's really really quiet. With normal environment, I start hear it only from 20cm distance.

This is the test of the FPU load. Maximum CPU temperature come up to 63C, but all other components stay with the previous temps. Perfect! Fan speed up only to 1700rpm. I starts hear it from 2m distance. But it's still very very quiet. With regular usage like office working, photo/video editing, gaming, fan going from 1000 to 1400rpm maximum. I think, that with the maximum 3200rpm (like described on there web), cooling system can handle Core i7 CPU's too. But I'm not sure about noise level with i7.

So, I very happy with this rig. If compare with my previous PC, it's 2 times faster, 10 times smaller and really really quiet enough.

I'll keep updating this post during my usage experience. If you have some questions, I'll be happy answer then.

VERiON

Re: DNK-H Silvery: my small, quiet and powerful build.

Post by VERiON » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Great build. Thanks for sharing.
Nice case and this custom I/O shield is a great addition. It makes a world of difference. I know it's in the back where no one can see it - but well... YOU know that it's there :D.

I think you can slow down the fan a little bit - like 800rpm when idle/normal work (not rendering a video). It will result in higher temps, but I have my CPU (i5-4690K) cooled only by case fan and it hovers around 50-60'C when working (graphic design), and those temps are perfectly ok - everything is stable and no CPU throttling. 1000rpm vs 800rpm will make a lot of difference - especially that with the case so beautiful you probably want it to sit on your desk :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 pm

VERiON wrote:I have my CPU (i5-4690K) cooled only by case fan
Not exactly: IIRC you also have a huge heatsink on that CPU.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Yes, I know it's not the same scenario :)
But I'm referring to OP temp report: 40'C @ 1000rpm - so I'm trying to say that he can still be on a safe side with lower rpm and higher temps. like 50-60'C @ 800 rpm

AlfredHuberName

Post by AlfredHuberName » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 am

VERiON wrote:Yes, I know it's not the same scenario :)
But I'm referring to OP temp report: 40'C @ 1000rpm - so I'm trying to say that he can still be on a safe side with lower rpm and higher temps. like 50-60'C @ 800 rpm
Thank you for advice!
I going to a BIOS and make some fan speed adjustments. Now fan rotate's at 750rpm at idle state. CPU temperutere grow up to 42C.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Cool!

You've set it up similar to mine system - but I have max temp set even higher @80'C
Good call with mid temp set to 70'C - it will prevent fan ramping up with short high CPU load.
Or at least it works like this in my setup and workflow with cpu working @ full speed, but not longer than 60-90 seconds (with heavy PS transitions). CPU heats up to 68'C, but it's short enough so there is no need to ramp up the fan.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Nice build! Very slick case and I like that it has the PSU built in.