My MATX P4 HTPC

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolGav

My MATX P4 HTPC

Post by CoolGav » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:02 pm

At last I have taken some pics of my HTPC. Based in a Lian Li PC-9300, with a SFX PSU I tore out the 60mm exhaust fans, the 80mm PSU fan, and didn't bother with the Zalman flower's overhead fan. instead I put in a single 120mm fan to do it all. It's a Nothwood 2.0 overclocked to 2.4GHz happily (stock voltage).

A cereal (Mmmmm, Shreddies!) packet provided some cardboard to help the air move where I want it.

I know the cabling's a bit of a mess, but it's a small case then the cables are too long!

To aid in getting air into the case and cooling the hard drive I added a Panaflo at 5v under the drive. It can't be easily seen, but it's suspended with elastic, and this enhanced pic is as good as you get for now!

And finally, the front. The Blu-tack to the right of the power switch is to hold an IR reciever. Anyone knopw where I can get some dark plastic to hide it behind along with an LCD in the right hand bay? BTW, I'm in the UK...

wsc

Post by wsc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:30 pm

Wow... that's a very tight space to work in. Very interesting use of 120mm fan too.. What kind of idle and load temps are you getting?

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:51 pm

I've just fired it up (while it's still in my possesion - it returns to my fiancee tomorrow - it's not in an ideal position, on its side with the PSU at the bottom) and speedfan measures:

Idling after 10 mins
Case: 25°C
CPU: 32°C
Hard drive: 36°C

Under full load for 10 mins
Case: 25°C
CPU: 54°C
hard drive: 42°C

The HTPC isn't often at full load in normal usage though.

The small case doesn't help to keep it cool and quiet when there's plenty of heat being dissipated.

wsc

Post by wsc » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:51 pm

Wow, that is quite an increase in your load temps! Have you tried going back to your stock speed and undervolting the CPU? My full load temps only go up about 4-5°C from idle while I'm at 1610Mhz and Vcore of 1.4V

Edit: .... I guess you don't have it to tweak anymore ... :(