Thermal Take Silent Viking

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

FusterCluck

Thermal Take Silent Viking

Post by FusterCluck » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:20 pm

What do you guys know about this?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... ory=BROWSE

it's a little gawdy, but seems to have all the prerequisites for an inexpensive quiet case. The 120 mm fans have wide open venting and are controlled by hefty front panel speed control knobs. there is an LCD CPU and Case temperature readout. The hard drive mounting brackets use rubber grommets. the front door panel should help quiet some drive noise.

The stock 120 mm fans are likely to be very good if they follow the trend set by the "Silent Cat" fans. I notice the "Silent Viking 80 mm version performed extremely well in the SPCR fan roundup, tying for 2nd place in noise/CFM!

I can't be sure just what this blue contraption in the hard drive cage is:
pic of contraption
however, it seems the design goals for this case were primarily silence -which leads me to guess it may be an HD noise isolation/suspension thingy!
Last edited by FusterCluck on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Flibble

Post by Mr Flibble » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:15 pm

If you're talking about the blue box, I think it's a box of screws fastened there to prevent it bouncing around in transit ;) But your link to the piccie isn't right.

Nice Marmot

Post by Nice Marmot » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:25 pm

I don't trust anything with the word "Thermaltake" on it.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:32 pm

It's a toolkit box, if I remember. To store the extra covers, screws, and such.

It's a ThermalTake case. Like their coolers, and with the exception of the Tsunami, I highly advise against ThermalTake products. From my experience, their products are LOUD, both visually and acoustically.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:26 am

Well how about that.

Now TT has ripped off a company that I don't think they've ripped off before! :roll:

Take the YY 5603, add a typically stooopid looking TT door and a window and you've got the brand new, totally awesome man, (drumroll please) ***TT Silent Viking***!!!

I don't know about you all but I'm impressed. :roll:

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:08 am

I hadn't realized that Vikings were renowned for their silence.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:32 pm

Depends on how much rotted shark, chased w/ Brenevin (aka Icelandic Black Death Schnapps) the Viking has consumed... :drunk:

Brenevin is good stuff, it actually makes rotted shark taste edible! It will also make one VERY drunk if consumed in quantity.

Gooserider

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:35 am

Gooserider wrote:Depends on how much rotted shark, chased w/ Brenevin (aka Icelandic Black Death Schnapps) the Viking has consumed... :drunk:

Brenevin is good stuff, it actually makes rotted shark taste edible! It will also make one VERY drunk if consumed in quantity.

Gooserider
Maybe Brenevin is what the TT "Design Engineers" are drinking as they're brainstorming their latest product ideas.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:20 pm

Nice Marmot wrote:I don't trust anything with the word "Thermaltake" on it.
I still cant believe all the people who say the silent boost HSF is "silent" That heatsink was HUGE and the fan was horrible. My thermalright 900A ownz it big time!!!

And then there are the people who think the TT True silent PSU are quiet, geez people must live by freeways or something

~RaNDoM