I think my Antec Overture II has gone wrong, its very noisy.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ftwig

I think my Antec Overture II has gone wrong, its very noisy.

Post by ftwig » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:12 am

I got the above case about 2 weeks ago. When I first built it and had it running for at least a day the only addable sound was the CPU fan and this was fairly quiet. I think the term 'almost inaudible across a room' springs to mind.

However now as soon as I turn the box on (even if it has been off all nite) I get a rather loud whering noise. This seems to be coming from the PSU.

What do people think? I think it is thermostatically controlled PSU fan which should only come on when needed and I think even then it has different speeds. Maybe the thermostat has gone wrong;(.

I have a AMD Seperon 3000+, I IBM 80GB HD and a Nova-T card in the box. Has anyone got this case. How quiet are they finding it?

Regards,
Ben

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:10 am

If its coming from the PSU . . . I would guess that your PSU fan has gone bad or the thermo sensor that operates it is bad.

ftwig

Post by ftwig » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:14 am

stromgald wrote:If its coming from the PSU . . . I would guess that your PSU fan has gone bad or the thermo sensor that operates it is bad.
Thats what I thought but was looing for verificasion as to how quiet the case is from someone who ownes one.

I have actialy proped it up a bit so there is more room under the case (the psu vents down) and it is a lot better.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:35 am

since its such a new product, if you still have the packaging just go ask the people you bought it from to replace it.

weither you get it replaced or not though i'd suggust just swapping the fan in the PSU for a nexus fan. undervolt it if you like, i would.

exit2studios

Overture II

Post by exit2studios » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:26 am

Any users here? How quiet are these things? Can they quietly (near silently) cool a 4400+ X2 with a light video card?

I need something with horizontal orientation (or do I) that can fit ATX.

TomZ

Post by TomZ » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:06 am

It might be helpful if you can narrow the noise down to the exact source. Are you sure it is the PSU? Is maybe something else vibrating? What kind of noise is it?

Can you open the case while it is making the noise? You can stop fans, feel around for sources of vibration, and listen for the source of the noise.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:49 am

Sound can be very hard to pinpoint in a case, so make sure it is infact coming fro mthe PSU. If it is email Antec and get a replacement sent.

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:52 am

Remove the RPM sensor of the PSU fan from the mobo and it will work correctly. This solved the problem at my friends computer.