Not sure [whether] to buy a P182 or P150\Solo

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dannyuk32

Not sure [whether] to buy a P182 or P150\Solo

Post by dannyuk32 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi Guys,
I guess my preference is for the coolest, quietest case. Will the P182 be too noisy? Must admit I don't particularly like small, cramped cases.
Guess what I'm trying to say is what are the advantages\disadvantages between the two?
Any help much appreciated,
Thanks, Danny.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

P182 has isolated chambers (big plus) and a raised motherboard for cabling underneath. Solo has out-of-the-box HD suspension for up to 3 drives. Solo is physically smaller, but it's not cramped.

I'd take the P182 if I didn't want my front bays open (I plan to insert an Imon IR receiver).

Shusher

Post by Shusher » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:58 pm

I was trying to make the very same decision when I bought my SOLO. I didn't consider the P150 though because Antec is not known for quiet PSUs and I don't trust the P150 PSU. I bought a SOLO for $50 (AR) from MicroCenter and added a SeaSonic S12 430W. The reason I went with SOLO over the P182 is simply size. I don't plan to do SLI, I don't have many 5.25" bay drives, and I don't have any other expansions. My only requirement was the ability to suspend 3 disks which luckily enough, was what the SOLO provides. The P182 is very big, you might not know it just by looking at images online. Get a ruler and measure it up against your desk or where-ever you plan to place it... see if it's not a problem. If you really don't care about the space it takes up and would rather have the extra space, go with the P182.

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:27 am

It's going to depend on your build/budget

The P150 with the psu can be isolated as shown in other spcr builds so this may help with noise.

The solo's benefits are that you can choose your psu make, and how quiet it's from the start. doing it this way may add a little to the price if your on a budget.

The P182 has the benefits of isolating the power unit from the rest of the system. This may help with keeping the psu fan from ramping up due to it sucking up heat from the case. Also some folks feel that cable management in the 1802 is hard to do.
There are some examples of cable management done with this case in the gallery, and again this choice will come down to budget as well as time with regards to cable management.

Personally I went with the P150 same build as the solo but includes a modular psu which was needed for my build.

dannyuk32

Post by dannyuk32 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:34 am

Thanks for your help\replies guys.
SD-Plissken what do you mean by Modular PSU? Also if I buy a Solo is fitting a seperate PSU an easy job? I have only ever built systems with cases that have built in PSU's on them. I would probably go with a Seasonic S12 if I bought a Solo.
Thanks, Danny.

SD-Plissken

Post by SD-Plissken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am

dannyuk32 wrote:Thanks for your help\replies guys.
SD-Plissken what do you mean by Modular PSU? Also if I buy a Solo is fitting a seperate PSU an easy job? I have only ever built systems with cases that have built in PSU's on them. I would probably go with a Seasonic S12 if I bought a Solo.
Thanks, Danny.
The P150 comes with a modular PSU eg where you only connect the cables you need. example here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article272-page2.html

The solo allows the end user to pick their psu, and installing it is the same as on any other case. note you have to install the psu first.

As for the Seasonic S12 it's a great choice, and well respected brand around here.

dannyuk32

Post by dannyuk32 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:19 am

Thanks for the explanation SD' ,
Modular sounds just ticket for me. I'm a little disappointed the Seasonic lower rated PSU's don't have this, or I can't find them anyway.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:42 am

PSUs are probably the easiest component to install. Just screw 'em in and you're done. However, as others have noted, you MUST install the PSU first in the Solo. If not you will find yourself removing the motherboard again (speaking from experience, unfortunately).

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm

dannyuk32 wrote:Thanks for the explanation SD' ,
Modular sounds just ticket for me. I'm a little disappointed the Seasonic lower rated PSU's don't have this, or I can't find them anyway.
You might want to check out the Corsair HX520W - it's basically a badge engineered Seasonic with the quietness and quality that implies.

Personally I do find the Solo a little cramped, but there's really nothing else available with the same features, so unless you want to step up in size to the P180/182 you're stuck with it.