Rackmount case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

regal196

Rackmount case

Post by regal196 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Can anyone suggest a rackmount case that could house a standard PSU and ATX mobo?

Do you think a U4 be house a Ninja in it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811219006
Is a case I was eyeing, does anyone see any inherent flaws in the design?

arbiter

Post by arbiter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am

Rack cases usually have good airflow from the front, but sometimes poorly designed rear vents.

Most of the ones I've worked with count on small loud fans, because most server rooms are not quiet, and may have supplemental air conditioning.

Some rack cases seem harder to cool quietly because since they're not as tall, you can't count on the chimney effect to move as much air up to the top via convection. I mean it still moves upward, but doesn't have as far to climb. So all the hot air is hanging out near your HSF until you draw it out with the rear fans. You also can't count on a top vent or PSU intake to move much air.

My biggest gripes with cheap rack cases are they seem flimsy, some can be flexed from the front if you grip the handles. I don't know the one you're looking at, so I can't tell how strong it is by looking at pictures.
Look for a good solid one.

If you can get one with a rear mounted power supply, you may be able to use a supply with a large bottom intake to help move some of the hot air out the rear.

Now if you're putting a reasonably sized motherboard in this rack case, you should have plenty of opportunity to build some ductwork. So the extra space may be a bonus.

Just my thoughts...someone with more experience may have better advice than I.

Hardtailed

Post by Hardtailed » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Antec is the only manufacturer I know of that realized there was a market for quiet rack cases... however they are not cheap.

This is what you're looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129023

Comes with two tri-cool fans (one 120mm and one 92mm)
The PSU fan appears to be 80mm, I don't know from which serie they took it (probably a smart power...)

No first hand experience though... sorry

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:16 pm

well, its only 7" tall. my ninja barely fits with 7.5" ... could be a close call, but most likely it'll fit, just barely. give it a try!