How To: P182 Top Fan Hood Acoustipack Mod

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

yahui168

How To: P182 Top Fan Hood Acoustipack Mod

Post by yahui168 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 pm

I didn't want to cover up the top fan hole on the P182 in case I wanted to mount a fan there in the future, so I modified the fan hood to shield some of the noise coming out of that fan hole.

This takes 10 minutes and is complete reversible:
1. Remove the metal mesh from the black plastic frame.
2. Use the metal mesh as a guide and make a cut out from black construction paper. The cut out should be slightly smaller than the metal mesh.
3. Make a similar cut out from Acoustipack or another sound dampening material.
4. Place the construction paper inside the metal mesh and the Acoustipack on top, tape backing toward the paper. Do not remove the tape backing on the Acoustipack, the metal mesh and plastic frame will hold everything securely without the sticky backing. This way you can use the Acoustipack for something else if you so choose.
5. Put the metal mesh and plastic frame back together. The mesh and frame should sandwich the edges of the paper and acoustipack, holding everything in place.

Top view, black paper construction side.

Bottom view, acoustipack foam side.

fresh

Post by fresh » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 am

Nice build modification. Surelly airflow is a bit lowered, but how is the acoustic improovement?

yahui168

Post by yahui168 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:29 pm

I'm waiting for the new X38 motherboards so the P182 is empty at the moment. I'll report back once I install my system.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:13 pm

That's very tidy. I made a much simpler and uglier mod: I put a square piece of AcoustiFoam on top of the spoiler. Works great, both to reduce fan noise and dust settling, but it is distinctly unattractive...

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:14 am

I like it! I've been trying to figure out a neat and easy way to do this mod and you've come up with the perfect solution!