Best way to fill small gaps in cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pepsi_max2k

Best way to fill small gaps in cases?

Post by pepsi_max2k » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:30 am

Hey all, just wondering what the best way to fill small gaps (in my case, at the front between optical drives / blanking plates) on a case?

I've got an antec 900 that I've set up slightly differently than standard, with the drive cage / fan / fan mount pushed towards the front (they normally have blanking plates in front of them), and it's left some small gaps around the edges of them (see pics). I can't really tape over them as there's no way to get at the gaps from the inside, and it'll look terrible from the outside, so just wondering what you lot do? Card? Foam? Something else? I'm looking at it from both a noise and airflow pov, and anything that'll reduce dust is good too. Thanks for any advice 8)

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:05 am

Hi,

Black tape on the back side?

whisper

Post by whisper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:24 am

Latex caulk would probably work well. Cheap, and easy to remove should you need to.

The temperature of the case and surrounding air may rule this out for gaps close to the back of your case and near the CPU, GPU, PSU, etc, but it would probably work well at the front of your case.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:11 am

Get some foam and see if you can wedge it around there from behind with a screwdriver.

pepsi_max2k

Post by pepsi_max2k » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Can't do much from behind, although I can remove the entire cage and add something to the sides. Which is what I'll probably do, just take some card to the edges to make a tighter fit. Thanks for the suggestions though, i'll keep an eye out for that latex stuff.

whisper

Post by whisper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 pm

pepsi_max2k wrote:Can't do much from behind, although I can remove the entire cage and add something to the sides. Which is what I'll probably do, just take some card to the edges to make a tighter fit. Thanks for the suggestions though, i'll keep an eye out for that latex stuff.
You're welcome. Though I must point out that I have never tried to use caulk in a computer before. It just seemed like a reasonable idea. It is a very common product (no need to keep an eye out). Your local hardware store is guaranteed to have a large variety of caulk. The only point I would stress is that latex would be the best caulk to start experimenting with (simply because it is easy to remove and clean off should it not work out...).

Good luck.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:31 am

I've always used aluminum HVAC tape. Sticks like crazy, strong, thin, easily fits compound curves and the glue never drys out over time.

ListysDad

Post by ListysDad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 am

If it were mine I'd try silicone caulking. You get it in black and it dries shiny so would work well. HOWEVER! It takes real practice to get it right and is a complete pig to remove if it goes wrong. I do this almost every day as I install bathrooms but a real tip is when you do it do it ONCE and then spray slightly soapy (washing up liquid) water over the top then smoth the excess off with a finger. DO NOT go it time and again as it starts drying immediately and it will look utter rubbish a sit then starts to 'pull'.

Sorry its so long, but done properly it would work really well - especially as you cant get to it from the back.

David