CoolerMaster CM690?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

little_shad0w

CoolerMaster CM690?

Post by little_shad0w » Tue May 26, 2009 8:03 am

hi guys... :D

im getting a new case, because this chieftec gx-01b i curentlly have - sux with vibration damping big time... the thing is that im having only 1 disk atm (wd 6400aaks) but im planing to add 2 more (wd 6401 aals)...

this is the rest of my config:

mbo: Gigabyte EP45-DS3L@F10Bios
gpu: Gigabyte HD4870 @ 780/1050mhz @ 22% vent
cpu: Intel E7200@Thermalright ultra 120 extrme+xilence red wing 12 cm-7V
cd/dvd burner/writer: Samsung 203D (i use my reader once a weak max, so basicly it doesnt count)
psu: Corsair VX550
sound card: Creative XFi Xt gamer

current case: chieftec gx 01b

i have 2 extra fans in chief, i got them with it... they are both on 7v (molex mod)... when i suspension wd (i simple took some cotton, put it on the bottom of case - and put hdd on it, its suspensioned perfectly, and i move my case, like, never), its pretty quiet, even at night... but airflow isn't "something", and using this method - i can have only 2 hdd-s (i can put one on my writer)...

i was looking at coolermaster cm690 (rc690) - and it fits me by price, look, airflow and everything else... but i need an information about hes hdd cages - do they remove vibs completly? what case should i look at if it doesnt?

Meijer

Post by Meijer » Tue May 26, 2009 9:12 am

The CM-690 comes like most cases from Cooler Master with small rubber holders which are supposed to damp any vibration caused by the drives. I wouldn't put too much confidence in this damping tecnique however, and as an owner of a CM-690 I can confirm as well that the case is still vibrating.

This can easily be solved by any elastic suspension however, which should be possible with only 3 hard drives. Also take a look in the Silent Storage if you want to know more about this. If you think it is a good case: just get it. For its price it does offer some good price/performancy quality, though it isn't suited for silent computing in my opinion. This is also one of the reasons I might be upgrading to another case.

little_shad0w

Post by little_shad0w » Tue May 26, 2009 9:44 am

but whats like the cheapest thing with good built-in hdd cage(s) (when i say good, i mean that they remove vibs completly)?

Meijer

Post by Meijer » Tue May 26, 2009 9:57 am

You can read this article, which mentions a couple of suited cases.
(...)
A few cases have offered rubber grommets as standard equipment for some time, but most have been only marginally effective, as the rubber used is usually much too hard, and the amount of decoupling achieved is minimal. True elastic suspension for hard drives can now be found on the new Antec P150 and in the Arctic Cooling Silentium T2. The Antec P180 also offers excellent soft silicone rubber grommets for hard drives in very sturdy cages.
(...)
The CM-690 makes use of these so called rubber grommets as well. The Antec P180, and its derived cases, is mostly seen as one of the best silent cases available on the market today for a reasonable price. It still isn't perfect in my eyes for silent computing and I still wouldn't put too much faith in the rubber grommets or any kind of sillicons: if you want to be sure you should use elastic suspension as from a technical point of view this will have a much larger impact on removing vibrations than any other sillicon-ring can possibly come up with, in my eyes.

I advise you do read some articles here and the Silent Storage forum before you make a final decision. If you look at the Antec P180 you should go for the P182, as this is the improved version and it's well worth it, from a silencing point of view.

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Tue May 26, 2009 10:23 am

I can say that I've got "beats" (some mod used this term here) with two HDDs in my CM690. Which is not very nice. Futhermore the sidepanel has a tendency to vibrate with the HDDs at times. If I put my hand on the sidepanel the vibration stops. I have to push the panel tighter on it's place for the vibration to stop. It's an inconvenience but I've learned to live with it. Right now I'm more annoyed by some high pitched whine coming from the rig 24/7 when it's on and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the PSU or some fan.

little_shad0w

Post by little_shad0w » Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 am

and how is it about scythe hard disk stabilizer x4? does he remove the vibs completly?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Fri May 29, 2009 6:44 am

Scythe stablizer does very little to decouple the vibration from HDDs. If you want built-in suspension system, get something like Antec Solo or Antec P182/P183. Otherwise, modify the case that you want.

I've modified 2 HDDs with suspension in CM 534.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Fri May 29, 2009 2:02 pm

The 590 has a detachable drive cage. I'd rather buy that instead.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cool ... 590/4.html

Post by 40974111 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:13 pm

The cables of the VX550 (same goes with the HX620... maybe all the Corsair's or maybe its just me!) are NOT long enough to run them behind the motherboard plate, so you have to have the stupid cables going over the front ruining air flow.

Right now I'm more annoyed by some high pitched whine coming from the rig 24/7
If you have any fans on the side intakes check them.

A note about the left side intakes... any fans running over about 900 rpm will cause a wooshing or high pitched whine (its usually a wooshing, but sometimes is a whine - seems to depend on the fan).

Also, if you are the type of person to remove a cases front panel regulary, then the CM690 is not for you. It is a horrible, horrible thing to have to do. The top panel isn't much better, but at least you won't think your breaking the case!

I know this doesn't directly address the hard drive noise, but they are problems for silent computing (and general use) with this case.