Will Caviar Black be audible in an Antec SOLO?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

adamlevy

Will Caviar Black be audible in an Antec SOLO?

Post by adamlevy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

Trying to decide which HDD to go with for my new build -- will a WD Caviar Black drive be audible inside an Antec SOLO case? Would a Caviar Blue be any better?

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:34 am

I recently installed a 500GB Caviar Black for a friend who also has a Solo. The drive was barely audible and I had to put my ear next to the case to hear some minor clicking. He had upgraded from a 160GB Caviar Blue which was audible only if I opened the case and put my ear next to the drive.
However, this was not the case when I installed another 500GB Caviar Black into a Compaq tower for another one of my friends. The drive was clearly audible and it may have been obnoxious for those that are more sensitive. Keep in mind, though, that the Compaq tower did not have any sort of vibration dampening and the noise resonated throughout the case. In both instances, the drive was a single platter model with 2 heads and the Caviar Blue was a single platter model with only one head.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Personal opinion: Yes, very.

I have one and before I put it into a suspended Quiet Drive, it was by far and wide the loudest component in my rig. As most modern drives, it has a rather pleasant whoosh and very timid clicks, but in an otherwise quiet computer it was very much audible.

How much does depend on how good the decoupling in the SOLO is, I cannot account for that. If that is okay and there is no vibration and search noise amplification, a Caviar Black's whoosh is still about as noisy as a good 120mm Fan at about 1000rpm, albeit at a higher frequency.

Most people wouldn't notice, but you asked on SPCR, so once again the answer is yes :)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 pm

That all actually depends on your ambedient noise level and what kind of hearing you have. Personally I say WD black is audiable. I have 640 GB WD Black suspended in Antec 300. But its not nearly as bad as 160 Gb SeaGate it replaced.

But with enough quiet components WD black will be most audiable thing in your system.