Quart in to a Pint Pot

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Quart in to a Pint Pot

Post by SebRad » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Can you tell what it is yet?

Answer in the morning! Seb

Jim G

Re: Quart in to a Pint Pot

Post by Jim G » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Custom PSU housing? :S

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:06 am

Custom PSU housing
Close, custom housing yes, PSU no.

Does this help?
[Apologies for poor quality cell phone pictures]

Seb

ickarumba1

Post by ickarumba1 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:13 pm

A shroud for your radiator and fans?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Ooh, a bracket for attaching 2x 80mm fans to the outside of a PSU.

But how will you rout the power cable?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi, ok right the promised update rather delayed. :oops:
The adapter is to mount 2x 92mm fans in place of 2x 80mm fans.
The bottom left corner is square (ish) and it protrudes right [to outside of case, away from IO panel] and up [away from expansion slots.]

Background: My PC has taken up folding again, CPU and GPU and I wasn't impressed to reallise that it could run cooler and quieter, due to lower fan speeds, with the side panel off. :(
Obviously the airflow wasn't good enough. See it as was here.

I'd noticed the PSU fan would increase its fan speed in response to increased case fan speeds. This suggests to me that got seriously restricted intake and the case is getting excessive negative pressure, hence PSU fan having to work harder. So increase the intake area need.

First thing was the hard drive in Scythe Quiet Drive is a big lump right in the main intake path, nowhere else in the case for it so:

Cut a hole in case floor behind the motherboard tray...

and out it goes, sitting on bit soft foam:

I also drilled a few more holes in the floor...

... and made the feet taller to allow more air under to the new holes:
And everything took ages! the total holes is 7 rows of 15, 105 of 10mm diameter all told. Just making the feet taller meant using longer bolts to secure to case floor, and of course case screws don't come that long so had to use other, larger bolts and that meant drilling out and re-tapping the holes to take them!

Happy that I'd got some more air intake then how to make use of it, the case originally had a single 80mm fan, long since increased to a pair.
My solution is what started the thread. Since first pics had coat of black paint and considering the very un-promising, roughly cut rusty metal I started with isn't too bad I think :)

Adapter fitted to motherboard tray:

I removed more metal from the rear of motherboard tray to maximise the air flow in to the adapter:

And fitted a pair of my favourite Arctic Cooling F9 fans:

On Acoustic soft fan grommets of course:

So there you have it 2x 92mm fans on a case designed to have a single 80mm fan!
My calculations suggest a 92mm fan has 35~40% more swept area than an 80mm fan.

Does it work? Pretty much yes :D Definitely getting much better GPU temps and slightly better CPU temps and the PSU fan is less inclined to ramp up as more hot air going out back of case and at less negative case pressure.
In numbers, with the case fans at similar noise level I think the GPU is down about 10°C or more and the CPU ~5°C. The PSU now tending to run its fan below the properly reported range, it either shows 0 rpm or double the real speed! That is 500~650rpm where it would be 700~800+ before
I think the hard drive may be slightly more noticeable than before as no longer contained in the case and lots of hard surfaces to reflect the sound back out from under the desk. Some under-desk and up-the-wall carpeting maybe in my future... :wink:
[Silent PC addiction therapy probably be cheaper and less time consuming at this point :lol: ]
Regards, Seb