Evercase ECE4292b

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

k2s

Evercase ECE4292b

Post by k2s » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:21 am

Hi I am planning to purchase the following case in the near future - http://www.evercase.com/newsite/2product/e4292.htm
I am also planning to add some AcoustiPack to it, but my main concern with this case is the front cooling, it uses 2 60mm fans and I have no idea who makes a good quiet 60mm fan, so I was hoping if someone can suggest a good 60mm fan or a totally different front cooling solution for this case thank you for any assistance.

NeilBlanchard

I'd leave out any front fans

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:13 pm

Hello:

I'd just leave out any front fans -- the rear 120mm will likely be enough to keep things flowing, or I'd try to fit a single 80mm. It's too bad they didn't leave the USB and audio ports right where they are on the 4252... :roll:

k2s

Post by k2s » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:27 am

Hi NeilBlanchard thanks for the reply I will try what you suggested with just a 120mm fan at the back of the case and see how it runs with 2 hard disks at the front and acoustipack fitted.

I agree that it’s a shame where they put the USB and that there is no door to hide it, but it doesn’t bother me to much I may even try and mod it to fit a LCD where the USB is currently fitted on this case.

I notice you currently have a 4252, on the model I am looking at [ECE4292b] it has what looks like a raised area in the middle of the motherboard tray that runs across almost the whole tray. I was just wondering if there is a raised section on your version of the evercase.
To me it may look like a potential problem for me if I wanted to fit an amd A64 motherboard with a thermalright SLK948-U Heatsink on the ECE4292b.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:10 am

Hello:
k2s wrote:I notice you currently have a 4252, on the model I am looking at [ECE4292b] it has what looks like a raised area in the middle of the motherboard tray that runs across almost the whole tray. I was just wondering if there is a raised section on your version of the evercase.
To me it may look like a potential problem for me if I wanted to fit an amd A64 motherboard with a thermalright SLK948-U Heatsink on the ECE4292b.
I just built an Athlon 64 system in a 4252 (which identical to the 4292 behind the front bezel, AFAICS), and in the end I had an ECS 755-A2 motherboard in it -- this mobo has a very thick backplate *glued* in place and it fits just fine! :o

One of the subtle things about the Evercases is that they have embossed motherboard supports, so the screws go directly into the case. This is very nice for several reasons:

It's faster, since you only have to install *one* brass standoff (third from the top at the back).

The supports are not going to scratch the back of the mobo, since they are little domes... 8)

The only thing you need to do with an Evercase is toss the stock PS -- it isn't too bad, but the intake slots are rather restricted and so it makes a *little* more noise than quiet computer should. Now, if Evercase changed PS vendors and got a Clever Power or Fortron 120mm, that would be awesome!

I'm curious to hear how you like the 4292 -- what color are you getting?

k2s

Post by k2s » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:02 pm

Thanks again for all the information you have given me about these cases, its hard to tell what’s what on this case looking at the pictures on the site, I will let you know when I get my new case on how it turns out,
the version I will be getting is the black one with a grey front.

NeilBlanchard

Try NewEgg's images...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:35 pm

Hello:

Try NewEgg's site -- they generally have very good images:

You can see the protruding embossed "domes" that support the motherboard, and the other larger embossed areas are generally concave (away from the motherboard).

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:42 pm

Hey guys, I do like the look of this new EC, however, if you are building a higher end system, this chassis does not have some of the airflow characteristics of the 4252.

1.) We have noticed that without front fans in a very high end system, the hard drives do get much warmer. So you may want to consider this as you plan your system.

2.) The front bezel of this new design does not 'breath' as well as the 4252, so on higher performance systems this may come into play as well.

Stevo
------------
Just trying to help :wink:

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:25 am

I saw this at NewEgg and thought it was a neat looking case. The front bezel looks like it has vents all along the side like the 4252 but my guess from the previous post is that those aren't vents. That would really concern me.

I don't think there is a quiet 60mm fan. You could install a rheo and try running them very slow. Or you could try cutting away the front grill and hanging one 80mm Panaflo L1A just to give the air a little pull thru the front. From the pics it looks like this might be possible.

The biggest question is going to be that front bezel. Let us know how it works and post pics too.

k2s

Post by k2s » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:38 am

Well I got my case today :) and in my eyes it looks really nice,
It comes with a 300 watt FSP300-60PN psu,
Front usb and audio
Box of screws and a power cable
The case with psu comes to £37 and I bought it directly from evercase U.K

I’m pleased to tell you the front bezel is vented on both sides :)

Extras I bought with this case were 2 packs of the hard drive shook proof kit and the extra hard drive cage that sits on the base of the case.

This will defiantly replace my coolermaster 201 nicely and to me the ECE4292b has a more interesting front to my old case and once finished will be quieter too :) . PretzelB I will post some pics this weekend for you and will keep you all updated once I start putting parts into the case. Thanks again for all your posts

NeilBlanchard

nice....

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:19 am

Hello:
k2s wrote:Well I got my case today :) and in my eyes it looks really nice,
It comes with a 300 watt FSP300-60PN psu,
Front usb and audio
Box of screws and a power cable
The case with psu comes to £37 and I bought it directly from evercase U.K

I’m pleased to tell you the front bezel is vented on both sides :)
Sounds great! I wish they came with a better PS here in the US -- the Fortron 120mm is very nice, and the the Clever Power also works very well with the Evercases. Though, the Fortron has a lot more air flow than the Clever Power, I think the Clever Power is slightly quieter -- and it has those 4 extra AC plugs on the back; except that you British-types might get few outlets because of their size... :?

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:42 am

Stevo,

I just noticed that the buyer of this new Evercase said the front bezel is slotted for "breathing". Does your comment mean that this newer version doesn't breath as well as the version you are using? I read it to mean that it doesn't have any venting on the sides.

Stevo@ARM wrote:Hey guys, I do like the look of this new EC, however, if you are building a higher end system, this chassis does not have some of the airflow characteristics of the 4252.

1.) We have noticed that without front fans in a very high end system, the hard drives do get much warmer. So you may want to consider this as you plan your system.

2.) The front bezel of this new design does not 'breath' as well as the 4252, so on higher performance systems this may come into play as well.

Stevo
------------
Just trying to help :wink:

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:35 am

PretzelB wrote:Stevo,

I just noticed that the buyer of this new Evercase said the front bezel is slotted for "breathing". Does your comment mean that this newer version doesn't breath as well as the version you are using? I read it to mean that it doesn't have any venting on the sides.
The 4292 does have breathing vents on the side of the front bezel as does the 4252, though the styling is different. Because we design our StealthPC's to be able to scale up to the top most performance levels, my comments were directed at the way the rest of the front of the chassis breathes.

So, if you are building a 3.2 or 3.4 class system with a higher end video card at about the ATI 9600 level or higher, I would highly recommend the 4252 for it's superior front ventalation and overall airflow characteristics.

Those of you who haven't built, or bought a pre-built, 3.0GHz or higher class system equipped with other up to date high performance parts may be very surprised at the thermal output of those components when under full load. The thermal output of these higher end components (and the new generation Intel Prescott's at ANY speed) under load is often 50 to 100% higher than components just one or two notches down on the ladder. Remember MikeC's review of our 3.2 Power house StealthPC system pulled 236W from the wall socket under load. So just be careful and plan ahead for some growth and build in some safety margin to enhance the longevity of your systems.

It's only going to get worse from here on out too. Intel and AMD have both planned for 120W and higher per CPU, and the new NVIDIA 6800 Ultra video card is a 150W video card :shock: So give yourselves the head room you may wish you had later.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the styling of the new 4952, I just think it is not engineered as well for a quiet high performance rig. I am sure it would be fine with a P4 Northwood 2.80 class CPU or lower, a lower end to medium strength video card, and one or two average hard drives. However, beyond that type of basic to mid-range setup and the rear fan and power supply fan in a 4952 may have to spin too fast to still be considered quiet when you put it under load or if the room temp gets too warm.

Stevo

Smokeey

Post by Smokeey » Sat May 15, 2004 10:42 am

/resurrects old thread

So k2s, have you built your machine? Whats your temps like? Any pics?

:)

madshi

Post by madshi » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:40 am

Hey guys,

in germany's biggest silent forum people are often recommending to cut a whole into the front bottom of the case to get a good air flow. Advantages are said to be less noise compared to front air in take (noise goes through the cutted hole to the floor, losing volume when being reflected there) and support for natural air flow (hot air usually likes to go up).

What do you think? Could one raise the airflow of the 4292 to 4252 levels by cutting a hole into the bottom of the case? Or do you think that's a bad idea?

Thanks!

WarpedPlatter
Friend of SPCR

Post by WarpedPlatter » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:02 pm

I'm looking to get this case for my project as well. Does anyone know of any retailers that might have them with different options than Newegg?

Ideally, I'm looking for a black and silver one with Firewire ports on the front panel, two drive cages and without a power supply. If I have to pay the extra for the PSU to get the other two, I won't complain though.

WP

NeilBlanchard

Try asking Evercase

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:20 pm

Hello:

You could possibly buy what you want direct from Evercase. :wink:

wjdashwood

Post by wjdashwood » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:53 am

Has anyone tried cutting a hole in the bottom of the case? Should allow for a great flexibility with fan size and as long as the case is off the floor it should be quieter, yeah? Shame the 4252 is so ugly else I'd go for that. :?

wjdashwood

Post by wjdashwood » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:04 am

k2s wrote:The case with psu comes to �37 and I bought it directly from evercase U.K
Which PSU did you get? I was offered either a FSP300-60GTP or Macron MTP301P. The Fortron seems a sound bet but I was wondering if you went for the Macron and discovered it's actually an amazing PSU which hath yet to be discovered by the peoples here at SPCR! :D

I'd love to see/hear how you're getting on with it because I'm tempted to get it because it looks so much nicer than the 4252. I'd just have to do some drilling!

scorpionv

Post by scorpionv » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:39 am

Stay away from that Macron PSU, it's absolute junk in my experience. Nowhere near quiet and the build quality is very suspect. Stick with the Fortron which is not half bad for an included power supply.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:51 pm

I was thinking of getting this case but have a few questions:

1. Does it come with the rear 120mm case fan? Is so, is it quiet?
2. I'm planning on running a system to the following specs:

Enermax NoiseTaker 420W
Athlon XP 2200+ (might be upgrading to Athlon 64 3500+)
Radeon 9600 (might be upgrading to GeForce 6600GT)
1GB RAM
160GB Samsung HDD

Will the case have sufficient cooling for this system with just the rear case fan?

Thanks in advance!

NeilBlanchard

Welcome to SPCR, soujir0u!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:10 pm

Hello:

Most Evercase's either ship with no fan in back, or they come with a 92mm Globe (IIRC). A decently quiet 120mm (like an Enermax that is undervolted to less than 5v, or the Nexus, or several others) will work fine in all but the hottest rooms. Though, if you were to choose the SeaSonic Super Tornado 300watt, you would get more case flow than with the Enermax PS. A 420watt PS is total overkill for that system, BTW.

If you got the 4252 you would get better air flow, which would help the HD run a bit cooler, and the air flow through the case in general -- though the 4292 is probably far better than many (most?) other cases in existence.

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:10 pm

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately I can't get the 4252 nor Seasonic PSU's here in Australia... The Enermax was the only PSU I could find here which was in the SPCR recommended list (even the lower-powered versions were not available). It's still much better than the Ritmo I used to have though.

Have been thinking of importing the Seasonics, but I think shipping will be rather expensive.

I'm thinking of either this case, or the Yeong Yang 5602 (no 5603 here yet)...

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:52 am

The Nexus 120mm @ 12V and Seasonic ST are more than enough to cool my 4252. Without a front fan my hard drive never goes beyond the 32°C mark. Ambient is like around 25°C.