My Lian Li 6070...new kit update

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ashtray_head

My Lian Li 6070...new kit update

Post by ashtray_head » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:18 pm

Hiya Guys

Just a little note about my new case. I eventually bit the bullet and bought this case as (imo) is the best looking case out there.
So here is what I have done so far. It still needs some more work but it now runs cooler and quieter than before 8)
After all the posts in here about the lack of airflow I decided to mod my case a little. The main place being the intake

I then drilled out the holes a little then decided to take them out altogether. I still wanted to keep filter (although this does lower the flow of course) This made a BIG difference as I was then able to get some air into my case :D
As you can see I removed a LOT of metal to acheive this! :D

I was then undecided about adding another 80mm fan in the rear of the case but decided on using my 92 panaflow as I thought this would be a little quieter. Athough now I wish i put another 80mm in there :(

I then bought a thermaltake duct and fitted it to my heatsink sucking the air from the cpu and ducting it towards the rear outtake fan. This has the added bonus effect of quietening the fan a little :D

I then turned my attention to the hard drive as a lot of people complained about the vibrations when using the Lian Li cage.
I bought the Zalman ZM-2HC1 and then installed in the airflow as you can see. It seemed to ge a little warm in the 5inch bay. This again, made a big difference to the noise (and vibrations)

the last thing I bought was the arctic cooler to go on my 9800pro

All this made my case temps drop by about 8-10 degrees

Has anyone else made any other modifications to their 6070's? and does anyone have any more idea's for my case? :D
Last edited by ashtray_head on Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:50 pm

Love that case! I almost bought one several times....the price stopped me. Well you do need more intake area than that small filter opening. Try a passive, filtered vent like this one. It allows the rear case fan and the PSU fan better airflow than your current intake allows. Some of the other photos in that album could be applied to your setup. Good luck with it....

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:55 pm

Hi Bluefront

I was thinking about removing the Lian Li Cage and possible putting in a passive intake either underneath the drive near the front or towards the middle of the case. (but as ever I have not made up my mind yet!)

Other than that its a great case to work with!

I was thinking about getting a Zalman CNPS7000A-Alcu cooler for my cpu as it does get a little toasty! ( just a little more than I would like)
It can get up to hight 50's

Would the Zalman be a better bet than the alpha with my oc'd 2500? and do you think I'd get higher case temps when I lose the duct effect for the Cpu?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:31 am

Before you change heat sink setups, try running the computer with the case open. If the temps go down more than a degree or two, your case has insufficient airflow through it. In which case, adding a large passive vent at the bottom(filtered of course),may be all that is necessary for you.

You could also try to re-apply thermal compound and reseat the Alpha. That Alpha is still one of the best heatsinks out there, and should be working just fine for you. I have no experience with that Zalman you mention....

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:49 am

When I take the side panel off the case temps drops a few degrees but the cpu only drops slightly. I have tried re-seating the alpha but this made no difference :(

I think I might have a go at the passive option. what filter did you use on the link you posted? Was it a car filter?

If it is a car filter.... i think I'll need a less restrictive option

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:17 am

That's a in-cabin filter from a Maxima....two attached actually. They're expensive. A regular airfilter from a car is usually too restrictive for passive venting. Maybe a furnace filter of some sort?

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:29 pm

Hey Bluefront...

How about one of these? the 3rd one down I was thinking of adding one just behind the hard drive cage
Aluminium Silver Mesh Filter 120mm
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Kus ... rs_78.html

I can also add more if needed :D What do you think? they dont look too restrictive either

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:19 pm

You mean like a passive vent on the bottom of the case? Well that would help if the case had more clearance from the floor (castors?). The problem I have with that filter is it doesn't filter out much dust.....you really need a better filter to do any real air cleaning.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:21 pm

yeah just a passive filter and yes the case is raised off the floor
do you think that it would let too much dust in then?

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:11 pm

i love what you have done with your case sofar. and that is my dream case. my Evercase isnt bad for the money but is still just an ordenary case. however after spending alot of energy putting in a window, differnt hd cage and many other mods, cheap case or not it feals like home :)

somtimes a bit of balence is needed when overclocking too, if you can lower your temps 5c by clocking your cpu down only a couple mhz and 0.1 of a volt, that is worth it.

i prefer my cpu duct over any other selution because it keeps the hot air from entering the PSU. unfortunetly when overclocking it does ad a burdon to trying to silence a computer. under full load my barton only hits low-mid 40s, but im not overclocking at all.

when i overclock (2.33ghz 1.7v) and put my cpu fan to a slightly higher voltage (about 8v), it does hit high 50's. however that is still a better noise to temp ratio i could acheave with any other solution i tried. but it is noisyer then i want. so that is my lan party mode.

when i put the cpu fan to 12v however it drops to under 50c full load (folding). but the noise is unaceptable.

i donno that puting in a zalman 7000 would help much, it migh make cpu tems lower, but make the psu hotter and probibly step its speed up more. i have no experice with the 7000, i hear its good, but not the quitest solution.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:41 pm

I must admit Iit took a while for me to decide to get this case after all the airflow probs that people were reporting. Although I'm glad I did :D Its by far the best looking case out there to me

I'll probably see how the passive intake thing goes then I might try the zalman cooler. My mate has one on the same chip (although a different case, antec bqe I think) and his runs a lot cooler at both idle and load

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:33 am

Nice twist putting a 92mm fan at the back. :) Why do you wish you had space for another 80mm bellow it? That 92mm is more than enough. I advise you to remove that fan guard and mount all the case fans with EAR isolators, that should give you a significant drop in noise/vibration.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:08 am

all the fans are mounted with the Vantec Vibration Dampening Kits
The grill is on the re to save me fingers! :shock: I've had a few close shaves with the fan before I put the grille there

Am disappointed with the panaflo as when is quiet it pushed hardly any air :(
I think I'll get another fan to compare it with (maybe a zalman as they are reasonably priced at £8 )

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:57 am

I'm quite happy to sell you my 92mm Zalman - I got rid of it as it was far too noisy for me. It does push a lot of air - even when undervolted - but it really isn't a proper silent fan.

asapin

Post by asapin » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:56 am

I have the 6070 case in black. Looks great, but it vibrates like crazy in it's stock configuration. Taking off the front filter completely dropped my temps about 5 degrees. I still have to do all the vibration dampening, and a replacement for the stock 9700 pro heatsink. Lots of work left to do on it... I'm thinking of putting a low speed, muffled 170 mm fan in place of the two 80mm fans, but maybe that's overkill :)

One day i'm going to custom build a sff case similar to the G4 cube I have.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:13 pm

I got more than 5 degrees by modding the intake and keeping the filter! :D

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:49 am

I have this beauty as well.

Going to do the intake filter mod as it seemed to really help you guys.

So would you say replace the 80mm exhaust fan with a 92 or 120 mm or add another 80mm back there? I use SilenX fans, so noise is not an issue.

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:26 pm

A little off-topic, but interesting for me, since I'll likely need this soon.

http://www.wrightsclose.plus.com/images/Pc/rear92.jpg

Talking about the fan-guard in the above picture, what *ARE* they called (so I know what to google/froogle/kelkoo for).

I'm likely going to chop some chopping on my case, and would rather make sure that I've got some kind of finger-protection in place. These wire-fans look just fine :).

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:53 pm

Hi ashtray_head,

Very nice work! You could still use a 92mm-to-80mm adapter if you wish to use an 80mm fan in there. Also, from the picture, it almost looks like two of those ThermalTake Duct Mods bolted-together would reach perfectly from your processor to the external fanhole!

Perhaps its time for a badong?

8)

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:03 am

shathal wrote:A little off-topic, but interesting for me, since I'll likely need this soon.

http://www.wrightsclose.plus.com/images/Pc/rear92.jpg

Talking about the fan-guard in the above picture, what *ARE* they called (so I know what to google/froogle/kelkoo for).

I'm likely going to chop some chopping on my case, and would rather make sure that I've got some kind of finger-protection in place. These wire-fans look just fine :).

You mean the fan grilles??

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:36 am

al bundy wrote:Hi ashtray_head,

Very nice work! You could still use a 92mm-to-80mm adapter if you wish to use an 80mm fan in there. Also, from the picture, it almost looks like two of those ThermalTake Duct Mods bolted-together would reach perfectly from your processor to the external fanhole!

8)
Thanks al bundy

I dont think another duct mod will fit, it looks too tight
The badong looks ok!Do you know anywhere in the uk thats sells em?

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:38 am

Yep - found them in the meantime. Ranging from £ 1.00 odd, to £ 7.00 ... makes on wonder... :).

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:51 am

I have just done some more mods 8)

I managed to get a 92mm fan sized hole underneath the hard drive cage. I had a 92mm filter already so this just fitted in nice. The case already sat on a bit of wood and I raised the case up a little more by cutting 2 squash balls in half. This has the added benifit of isolating the case as well.

This has dropped my case temps down from mid 20's to low 20's My temps dont drop anymore when I open the case up. This shows I've improved the airflow again :D I can now have my case running cool as well as QUIET now after these mods 8)

I also fitted a shroud\sound deflector (what ever you call them!) for the rear.

Not too sure if the shroud makes much difference but its gotta help a little I s'pose
Overall I'm really pleased to go from the standard hot and not too quiet case with bad airflow to a cool and quiet case with great cooling :D :D

I'd like you impressions please. And any improvements you can think of

Cheers
Last edited by ashtray_head on Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:56 am

That's a very nice shroud! I wouldn't mind having one of those for my other computers. I'd line the inside of the shroud with something like pax.mate (thin, open cell foam) to reduce sound reflections though.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:04 am

wumpus wrote:That's a very nice shroud! I wouldn't mind having one of those for my other computers. I'd line the inside of the shroud with something like pax.mate (thin, open cell foam) to reduce sound reflections though.
the shroud is lined with a sort foam padding. I suppose replacing it with some sound absorbing padding would make it better though

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:16 pm

ashtray_head wrote:
al bundy wrote:Hi ashtray_head,

8)
Thanks al bundy

I dont think another duct mod will fit, it looks too tight
The badong looks ok!Do you know anywhere in the uk thats sells em?
I don't know anybody in the UK that sells them, but you might be able to rig something virtually identical using parts from a local hardware store. :)

Nice additional work on the harddrive fan and shroud, looks very clean and professional. However, that's quite a large hole you put in the back of your desk there!

8)

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:12 am

al bundy wrote:However, that's quite a large hole you put in the back of your desk there!

8)

I know...the desk runs a lot cooler now that I've improved the airflow!! :shock:

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:25 am

Guys,

I was thinking of putting in another passive intake nearer to the position of the new nexus case...what do you think?

The more I increase the intake potential the lower I can have my fans! this is what its all about after all aint it?

I like the passive intake I have at the mo as its invisible when you open the case.
Would i be over balancing the intake \outtake by putting another intake in (all be it without a fan)

hawkeye1
Patron of SPCR

Post by hawkeye1 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:40 am

I also have this case, bought into the hype when it was released and spent the big bucks to get it. Coincidentally, like asapin, just yesterday I took the front filter off. Further, I dropped a Pabst fan in the bottom of the case to get some extra air flow, and I'm now evaluating the results of both of these mods. Previously, after prolonged use, Mike's wonderfully modded Nexus PSU (the best PSU I've ever owned!) would become unbearably loud anywhere in the room, and sometimes even shutting my computer down for awhile didn't help. Currently, with the Pabst and front filter removed I'm hearing bearable noise--perhaps, though, I'm being kind. :?

I wish I could do the other mods, but I can't put the shroud in as the case sits back against the wall (can't change the location) and I'm not technically able to add ashtray's bottom fan mod. I do have the Zalman fan speed controller which helps, and I guess I should also try to suspend my drives.

OK, I just realized this post sounds like a bit--OK, a lot--of a whine, just frustrated that this case can't deliver what I expected! :cry:

hawkeye1

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:10 am

I must admit I was gong to get some padding (I had the deluxe acoustpak on my last case) but now I think I dont really need this as my fans are running a lot slower now to keep the same temps as before 8)