my lian-li 6077 silence mod

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kontkommer

my lian-li 6077 silence mod

Post by kontkommer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:39 am

i bought a lian-li 6077 case because of two reasons:

nine 5.25 bays making it possible to suspent all harddrives
stylish sharp design.. i'm a minimalist and don't like those nokia looking cases (:

when i was thinking up the silencing strategy i realized this is the perfect case!

take a look at these pics.. they speak for themselves:

my plan:

- applying acoustipack deluxe CHECK
- suspending my 4 hdd drives in zalman heatpipe coolers (bottom 4 5.25 bays since those are cooler)
- mounting 2 papst intake fans on the bottom hole (on vantec vibration dampeners)
- mounting quietpc quietfeet to gain some floor clearance
- mounting 2 papst blowout fans on the rear (on vantec vibration dampeners)
- closing up the whole front with insulated 5.25 bay covers..
- modding top 5.25 bay cover with a on/off and reset switch.
- storing all unused psu cable behind the "switch 5.25 cover" resting on the dvd-drive (second bay front the top)
- extra barrier between hdds and front by sqeezing in between the 5.25 acoustipack foam blocks..

dunno about all the hardware that i will be buying for this system but the hdds will probably be samsung s-ata drives and the psu is a tagan 480 watt..

in the end i will have a system thats completely foamed up on the front, top and sides with a good airflow (atleast thats what i expect) and a damn stylish high-end look (:

the things i'm not sure about is if i should foam up the rack that holds the psu and hdds and if i should how.. on pic three you can see i sqeezed in that smaller acoustipack foam block.. i could do that everywhere if i could find the needed material..

i would also like to put some kind of vibration reducing tape between the doors and the caseframe..

so what do you guys think? (:

suggestions, tips, ideas are all very welcome!

maxxymus

Post by maxxymus » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:05 am

Who needs intake? Just use exhaust fans... will save you a whole lot of noise.

Who needs coolers for HD's? Just suspend em and make sure case temp is good. If you REALLY want them cooled then get a fan blowing on 'em or sucking the air from them.

kontkommer

Post by kontkommer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:26 am

hmm you might have a point about the intake fans..

i chose the zalman heatpipe coolers because normal suspension costs around 15-20 euros and the zalmans around 25..

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:35 am

I was considering the Tagan 480W PSU's as well, it was the main contender to the EnerMax Noisetaker 475 I was also considering.

A word of caution on the Tagan PSU's - look here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=tagan

I myself am getting an EnerMax Noisetake 475, as reviewed by SPCR to be quite nifty, as per here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html

Bearing in mind that I don't *HAVE* the critter yet, I am obviously not able to comment on it, beyond MikeC's review. I should have it within the next two weeks odd (should become available in Europe around May 5th, according to Enermax's disties).

If the PSU shopping can wait for so long, I'll report in how the NoiseTaker works for me. Obviously, what might be quiet for ME might not be so for YOU (or vice versa), thus I regard MikeC's review as a good starting point.

The Noisetaker 475 is available in the US, as best I know, depending where you are, that may/may not play into your hands.

Hope this helps.

Nifty idea and sleek looking (if massive) chassis) :). Suspending all the drives is of course a very nice thing to be capable to do. Be careful of getting 4 S-ATA drives for the following reasons:

- Most high-end boards currently only sport 2 S-ATA connectors. So you'd likely need a seperate S-ATA controller hanging on your PCI bus.
- Most PSU's currently have only 2 S-ATA Power-supplies, if any.
- You can get Molex +> S-ATA Power converters for relatively cheap.

I am not entirely convinced that you'd need two intake fans. Generally speaking, you'd want to keep the # of fans down, as a higher number of fans == more noise.

The amount of airflow you need, depends on what kind of hardware you want to shove into there. Since you want to go for a 480 PSU I am assuming "high-end CPU" + "6800 Ultra // ATI's equivalent"? Other than that, the PSU would seem a tad overkill to me :). Let us know of your considerations in "rough" hardware terms.

As far as I've come to observe on the forums, generally for 80 mm and 92 mm fans, Panaflo L1A's seem to be the preferred item.

Hope that helps a little to get you started. Give us a few more infos on what you want to shove in there :).

Incidentally, I think thoae grills at the read of the chassis need to go, and be replaced by wire-grills. Less turbulence == less noise

Oh and ... Welcome to SPCR :D

kontkommer

Post by kontkommer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:08 am

shathal wrote:I was considering the Tagan 480W PSU's as well, it was the main contender to the EnerMax Noisetaker 475 I was also considering.

A word of caution on the Tagan PSU's - look here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=tagan

I myself am getting an EnerMax Noisetake 475, as reviewed by SPCR to be quite nifty, as per here:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page1.html

Bearing in mind that I don't *HAVE* the critter yet, I am obviously not able to comment on it, beyond MikeC's review. I should have it within the next two weeks odd (should become available in Europe around May 5th, according to Enermax's disties).

If the PSU shopping can wait for so long, I'll report in how the NoiseTaker works for me. Obviously, what might be quiet for ME might not be so for YOU (or vice versa), thus I regard MikeC's review as a good starting point.

The Noisetaker 475 is available in the US, as best I know, depending where you are, that may/may not play into your hands.

Hope this helps.
i already own the tagan actually.. i read quite some reviews on it before i bought it and i'm confinced it's the right psu for me (:

i'm sleeving all the cables right now..
shathal wrote:Nifty idea and sleek looking (if massive) chassis) :). Suspending all the drives is of course a very nice thing to be capable to do. Be careful of getting 4 S-ATA drives for the following reasons:

- Most high-end boards currently only sport 2 S-ATA connectors. So you'd likely need a seperate S-ATA controller hanging on your PCI bus.
- Most PSU's currently have only 2 S-ATA Power-supplies, if any.
- You can get Molex +> S-ATA Power converters for relatively cheap.
yeah the tagan has 2 s-ata power connectors but with those converters thats no problem..

about the a-ata ports on my future mobo.. don't worry that will have 4 (:
shathal wrote:I am not entirely convinced that you'd need two intake fans. Generally speaking, you'd want to keep the # of fans down, as a higher number of fans == more noise.

The amount of airflow you need, depends on what kind of hardware you want to shove into there. Since you want to go for a 480 PSU I am assuming "high-end CPU" + "6800 Ultra // ATI's equivalent"? Other than that, the PSU would seem a tad overkill to me :). Let us know of your considerations in "rough" hardware terms.

As far as I've come to observe on the forums, generally for 80 mm and 92 mm fans, Panaflo L1A's seem to be the preferred item.
the hardware i'm putting in it isn't available right now.. i'm holding off until the release of doom3.. i want a new pc but don't really need it right now.. so i wait until the last moment and buy about the fastest stuff that will be available about then.. guess that will be in a month or 2..

probably a ahtlon 64 socket939 3700+ or maybe even a 4000+
1gig of ram
and one of the new ati/nvidia cards..

i bought the case + psu so i would have plenty of time to prepare all the modding stuff and have something to do in the meantime (:
shathal wrote:Hope that helps a little to get you started. Give us a few more infos on what you want to shove in there :).

Incidentally, I think thoae grills at the read of the chassis need to go, and be replaced by wire-grills. Less turbulence == less noise

Oh and ... Welcome to SPCR :D
replacing the grills is no option for me.. i want to be able to return the case to it's 100% original state..

thnx (:

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:29 am

*nods*

Well, make sure to read up on my thread (I'm building currently a 3.4 GHz Prescott system with similar high-endedness) in the General Discussion forum here:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11895

Not quite what you're doing (I'm starting with 2 HD's, and I don't have the space to suspend them), but I guess a lot of the advice given to me might be of interest to you.

It should also give you a good glimpse at just "how doable" it is to build a quiet high-end system.

For what it's worth - best of luck :).

Incidentally, when it comes to ventilation, make sure you read some of Bluefront's posts, he's done some pretty ingenious things :).

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:32 am

kontkommer wrote:replacing the grills is no option for me.. i want to be able to return the case to it's 100% original state.
You lined the entire case with AcoustiPack and you still think you'll be able to return the case? I don't know, I heard that's some sticky hard to remove stuff after installed. You'll have more luck selling the case on ebay than returning it to the vendor. :) You should definitely remove the back grills. Are you planning on using a filter at the bottom intake? I would go ahead and remove the bottom grills where the two papsts will go also. :)

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:36 am

I'd suggest that you try using the Tagan , most have a "clicking" noise.
If your has it , you'll probably want to RMA it as soon as possible.
My first one had it , the second one doesn't.

Also check the warranty sticker , there have been reports of Tagan PSUs with torn stickers (packaging issue).
My current Tagan's sticker is partialy torn , but still good.

Also I'd suggest you create a psu duct , as in the sticky , since the Tagan can and will get very hot in not very well ventilated cases.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:57 am

idealcrash wrote:
kontkommer wrote:replacing the grills is no option for me.. i want to be able to return the case to it's 100% original state.
You lined the entire case with AcoustiPack and you still think you'll be able to return the case? I don't know, I heard that's some sticky hard to remove stuff after installed. You'll have more luck selling the case on ebay than returning it to the vendor. :) You should definitely remove the back grills.
Right on!

Remove those fan grills, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't. You have a nice plan for building a silent system (well, the Zalman HDD "coolers" are not needed, IMHO) and you're crippling it by forcing all your case air through those fairly restrictive "grills" that come on the case.

My 2¢, YMMV! :)

danielvh

Post by danielvh » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:22 am

Wow this case looks great and gives me some ideas. looks better than the Antec SLK3700AMB I was planning on getting.

Hmmm I'd probably cover the top and bottom grills with an acoustipack deluxe. Mount 2 80mm Panaflo L1A's at the back with the grills cut out and replaced with wire ones. 2 74GB Raptors in Zalman 2HC2s in front of the airflow in RAID 0.

For intake I would like to mod a 120mm fan at the front. Possible? Hmm I could mount it to 3* 5 1/4" drive covers. Would just take a little modding. Problem would be that vibration would be very possible. Maybe use a Vantec vibration dampener thingy and it'd have a 120mm Papst @ 5v which wouldn't vibrate that much. In fact the main problem woulb be the direct escape for noise out the front. Any ideas?

kontkommer

Post by kontkommer » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:48 am

apocalypse80 wrote:I'd suggest that you try using the Tagan , most have a "clicking" noise.
If your has it , you'll probably want to RMA it as soon as possible.
My first one had it , the second one doesn't.

Also check the warranty sticker , there have been reports of Tagan PSUs with torn stickers (packaging issue).
My current Tagan's sticker is partialy torn , but still good.

Also I'd suggest you create a psu duct , as in the sticky , since the Tagan can and will get very hot in not very well ventilated cases.
how loud is that clicking noise?

i've tested this tagan with my current system and didn't hear anything.. only when i put my ear on the box did i hear a kind of clicking noise..
Last edited by kontkommer on Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:58 am

It's not very loud , but in a very quiet system it can get on your nerves.
If you have even 1 moderately noisy fan , you'll probably hear nothing.
Mind you , not all Tagans have it , my current one doesn't.

You can check out shathal's links for more info on the subject.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:45 am

Nice case kontkommer

Was thinking of getting some padding for mine, but dont think I need it now!! :D