Antec Solo build/review

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

eoctanker

Post by eoctanker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:32 am

No problem, I am thinking about trying out that concept myself. I don't think you really need a 120mm air filter, you can get one that is bigger... The key is that you get a filter that covers the whole intake. If I can find an air intake filter that has good mix between filtering and air resistance, I will reverse my whole system too. The big test is how it will affect the hard drives.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Not to be a wet rag or anything, but what's to be gained by reversing the air flow?

You would be able to mount a bigger filter, but I don't see that as a big advantage. And there is the downside of forcing hot air over the drives, substantially hotter air than is forced on the rest of the system by the heat from the drives when the air flow is normal.

The drives just don't put out that much heat, something like 6 watts typically and maybe 13 watts max. Four drives and you probably have 20 watts most of the time with a max of about 50 watts. Meanwhile, your CPU is cranking out 30 to 90 watts and your graphics cards are probably even worse. Drives are the most sensitive components you have with regard to ambient temps, primarily because they are completely dependent on the air flow in the case.

Oh well, it will be interesting to read about what happens. Please do post.

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Is it possible to install a water cooling setup into the Antec Solo? Has anyone tried it yet?

eoctanker

Post by eoctanker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:40 am

RAFH, You are probably right, I was just trying to break the paridigm and assist with the concept of creating a dust free positive pressure system without creating a huge amount of modifications to existing cases. With my system, it might be acceptable because I am only running one hard drive... and my low power CPU that is running almost passively cooled (I tested it and could do it but have the fan so low that it is more for piece of mind). I am also making the assumption that with the built in sound suppression of the SOLO case, a Nexus running at 12V will pull in alot more air and be (possibly) just as quiet due to the sound dampening of the filter...

If I can get enough air flow without the noise, I should be able to keep the systems cool enough and create a positve pressure that will keep the dust out of the system. Also, where my case is positioned, a big boxy filter on the back will not cause problems. As soon as I find a filter, I will give it a go. Should be an interesting experiment... :roll:

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Well, with the two 92mm Nexus in front and the 120mm in back and the vents over the expanion slots blocked, I do get a positive pressure situation. Funny thing is unless I block the expansion slot vents, they do suck air in, just a little. But with them closed, I know its positive because there's a small square hole in the bottom, probably to mount something but I don't know what, and air blows out of it. I can only guess its a weird result of the internal air flows.

If I were to put some stronger fans in front, I would definitely have positive pressure all the time. I have the exhaust fan running quite slow to maintain that positive pressure.

Anyway, give it a go. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. I much prefer empirical knowledge to logic. Once one has the data, then one can muse over the why's.

filedog

Post by filedog » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:07 pm

Just finished transferring my components from an SLK3000 to my new SOLO! Man, what a nice case! Like some have mentioned, there are a few sharp edges, and DON't forget to put that PSU in FIRST! I never really bonded with that SLK, and don't like doors. It just looks and feels kinda cheesy to me. The SOLO is head and shoulders above it. I'm happy with the stock parts (120mm fan, sound deadening and drive suspension). In fact, I put my drive in on the stock silicone bushings, and it's as quiet/quieter that the old case with stretch magic suspension.
I got mine at securemart dot com for $59 bucks, plus shipping of course, but what a deal IMHO. They got it to me quick, and use FEDEX, which is nice. I think this is the first case I've mail-ordered that had NO damage, ZERO! The box is quite sturdy and the packing is excellent.
I have a second hard drive in a mobile rack, 2 opticals, and a floppy (soon to be replaced with a 7 in 1).
The swing out front panels are cool, drive mounting system is excellent for stock, finish is nice, and I like the silver on the front too, gives it a little "snap". I almost forgot the cool hooks on the back side of the drive bays for cable management, oh, and the front panel jacks aren't at the bottom! I've been wanting to replace the SLK for quite a while, and the SOLO was just what I needed.

RAFH, howzit! I used to live Hilo side, in Kea'au, I really miss it!

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Aloha filedog, howzit yerself.

I bet you do miss Kea'au, really pretty out there. I'm right on Kaneohe Bay, view to die for.

Anyway, congrats on your new case, glad to hear you are pleased with it. You definitely got a deal on it, I paid $85 for mine, but the shipping was cheap, $10, ZZF has a free shipping deal on most stuff but to Hawaii they add a one time $10 charge. Its still a deal, especially on a case. I agree, the packaging is excellent, I would be surprised if any damage would occur unless they just ran over it with a truck or dropped it out of a plane.

Personally, I don't see the purpose of the suspension system, seems like overkill. With the silicon grommets there's no noise. I can't imagine anything quieter. Oh well, I suppose somebody has better ears then mine.

There's not much I'd change.

Enjoy!!

bobbavet

Post by bobbavet » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Anyone putting in a 8800gtx?

Would like some pics/mods/info

thankyou

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:19 am

You would have to mod it a bit.

I have a question.

On Antec's site it shows the SOlo as 25lbs and the P150 as the same weight. I can see the P150 as 25lbs becasue of the psu but the SOLO? Is this correct? Is it really that heavy?

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:33 am

It's a little bit less than that, but it sure is darned heavy once you load it up with your equipment; at least two or three times as much.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:10 am

MC FLMJIG wrote:On Antec's site it shows the SOlo as 25lbs and the P150 as the same weight. I can see the P150 as 25lbs becasue of the psu but the SOLO? Is this correct? Is it really that heavy?
25lb is shipping weight. Somebody at the factory said, "Solo is the same as P150, so 25lb also". I'm equally lazy most of the time. :lol:

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks guys. Seems a tad on the heavy side but with the extra stuff it rally makes it tempting. Silence and suspension.

Hard to mod too. Kind of hurts cutting holes on the soundproofing...

I still don't see how Antec says a case with a PSU is 25 and the SOLO without PSU is 25lbs too. Whatever.

Perhaps taking a few things out could drop a pound or 2.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:42 pm

I doubt its correct, more than likely they just copied the P150 weight.

I don't think the actual case weighs that much, more like around 10 to 15.

Mine with all the stuff in it feels like about 25, but I've never weighed it. Maybe I will do so the next time its out for maintenance and the loving embrace. NO Remarks either from you perverts!

MC FLMJIG

Post by MC FLMJIG » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Maybe you have a lot more muscles than some of the guys around here. :lol:

You are in hawaii and you need to look good with all them cuties in short skirts walking around.

It's a weird variation but I'm down to a few cases:

SilverStone SG01-E [Height: 8.5" (216mm), Width: 10.35" (263mm), Depth: 15.5" (393mm)]

Antec NSK 3300 [Height: 13.8" (350.5mm), Width: 7.8" (198.1mm), Depth: 13.8" (350.5mm)]

Cooler Master Centurion 540/541 [15.4" H x 7.1" Wx 16.6" D]

Antec SOLO (Only one that supports ATX) [17.5"(H) x 8.1"(W) x 18.5"(D)]

Antec NSK2400 [5.5"(H) x 17.5"(W) x 16.3"(L)]

Never really liked Antec case but these look pretty decent.

Stree

Post by Stree » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:04 pm

I better introduce myself, I am a newbie Hello

Just reading things in here and very interested in the ways you go about building these machines Some good points made.
I just built one. Well nearly……still tuning and fiddling..and also built with a few of the components mentioned in the thread and I hope its OK to post the build

Here it is anyway.......
First the bits you see………. Aesthetics........The Antec Solo is a very handsome case to begin with. and to end with come to that.
Antec Solo anyway.................First: case modded for 120mm “silentâ€

Callous

Post by Callous » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:47 pm

I got the P150. A warning to those who are buying this or the Solo:

The reset button is very prone to breakage. It is not a spring mechanism at all with metal. It is 2 thin pieces of plastic that simulates a spring mechanism. It will snap eventually rendering the whole button useless. Mine snapped in less than a month.

The good news is that Antec considers this as part of the warranty.

The other good news is that the Antec 430HE that came with it has a warranty, even if the sticker is ripped as they are well aware of the issues with that.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Stree - you have any pictures of that 120mm front intake. I'd love to see how you did it.

Does sound like a very 'minimalist' black business box. Hooray for you. I love it.

Talking about classic keyboards, if you've seen any of the other threads, I have some pics, one is of my workstation and you can see my keyboard, its a Fingerworks TouchStream, silver. Probably one of the coolest input devices there is. Totally virtual with both keying and mousing by touch. However, the best part is it recognizes gestures which can be programed. They aren't made any more and they were expensive in the first place, but nothing can touch a TouchStream, except of course, its user.

As for the big muscles, hate to disappoint but I am partially handicapped with hip and spine problems so I am not much of a beachboy or surfer. I mostly stay at home and work which is a terrible thing to do here. Such is life.

Stree

Post by Stree » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:19 pm

RAFH, Hi*

I will get some pics and post them with some explanatory text.............a bit of clipping and hacking involved to fit the 120mm front fan and some things to be aware of if you want to do it. Works a treat though!

Back soon with pics. ( Then I have to work out how to send them !)

Stree

eoctanker

Post by eoctanker » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:37 am

If you place a 120 as the front fan intake, can you get away without having an exhaust fan? With that much positive pressure, PSU exhaust fan and something like a ninja w/ fan blowing towards the exhaust vent, you might not need an exhaust fan. I think I might just try to shut down my exhaust fan and see the temperature difference... hmmm quieter by one less fan...

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 pm

One less fan and one fan working harder. That's something that many people sort of don't realize, all air circulation systems, indeed all circuits, electrical, water, air, whatever, are dynamic.

Turning off a fan doesn't just turn off that fan, it affects the whole balance of the entire system. With that exhaust fan off, there will be a higher dynamic pressure in the case so the intake fan will have to work harder to keep up and it will make more noise in the process. Air flows will also change and its likely leaks closer to the intake will leak more, wasting your precious cooling air.

That's not to say it won't be just fine and even quieter, it very well might. Or maybe your temps will go up a degree but it will be noticeably quieter or it may go up a lot and be noisier. Only way to tell is try it.

Stree

Post by Stree » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 am

Tend to agree RAFH, two slow silent spinners, both assisting each other seem better than one even at half speed............

and here are some of the pics I promised ages ago..............the steel power button and a minor mod inside to help locate and retain additional sound mat

Sgt_Strider

Post by Sgt_Strider » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:03 am

Does anyone here know of a professional place that will paint the front faceplate black? I want to ensure that the colour of the faceplate will match the rest of the case. The only way to ensure this is for a professional dealer to do this. I just don't know where to start to search for one.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 pm

When I was heavy into laptops we went through this whole issue. Most laptops are painted plastic though some are metal. The general consensus was the best way to get professional results was to take the offending pieces to an autobody/paint shop. They can computer match the color and apply the paint better than anybody else. Plastic or metal, they can do it.

The next best was a certain enamel paint from a can, very good stuff but this was 3 years ago and I don't remember the name brand. But the biggest issue there was preparation. Sanding, sanding, and more sanding. And mulitple coats with lots of sanding in between. Some of the results were awesome, even the home-painted ones. But they would put in dozens of hours on them. If I remember correctly, they started with sanding down the existing finish to a very smooth finish, prime coat, more sanding, second prime, sand, base color coat, sand, second color coat, sand, final color coat, sand, finish clear coat (sand and second clear coat). They were using 400 grit to start and then 600 for the color coats and 800 or higher for the clear coats.

The finish on the SOLO is pretty good but I would think 600 grit would be adequate. Maybe somebody with more practical experience can chip in here. There is lots of information available on the web.

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:54 pm

I did the 5v mod to all my fans and I have seen the light and am hooked. I am getting my stuff together to put together my own silent (or at least much quieter) computer based on the antec solo case. Due to the review and reputation in the forums.

I am going to put some of my old guts in the new case for now.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe.
Athlon XP2900+ 2.0ghz.
Thermalright SI-97A w/ Delta 92x92x38 triple blade low spd. (I know... going to try it first w/fan controller. It really is not that bad @ 5 v.)
PQI DDR400 PC3200 2048MB memory in dual channel mode
Western Digital 160gb hdd

Add to that Nexus 92mm fronts, 120mm rear in cutouts with zipties and rubbery cushions :wink:
Corsair HX520 (got a good deal on it, don't think I needed one that big) Zalman ZM-MFC1

Artanis

Post by Artanis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 am

bobbavet wrote:Anyone putting in a 8800gtx?

thankyou
Was reading this review on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129018

"The only dissapointment I have is that I can't fit a Geforce 8800 GTX card into the case. The card is 10.5 inches long, and you have exactly 10" of card space. I'm either going to have to settle for the 8800 GTS, which needs 9.5 inches, or condsider cutting a notch into the HDD drive bay where the card would go..."

That's a shame that the GTX wouldn't fit. Guess if i get one i'm gonna need to mod the HDD bay :?

Nice KISS case btw! =]

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 am

Artanis wrote:
bobbavet wrote:Anyone putting in a 8800gtx?

thankyou
Was reading this review on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129018

"The only dissapointment I have is that I can't fit a Geforce 8800 GTX card into the case. The card is 10.5 inches long, and you have exactly 10" of card space. I'm either going to have to settle for the 8800 GTS, which needs 9.5 inches, or condsider cutting a notch into the HDD drive bay where the card would go..."

That's a shame that the GTX wouldn't fit. Guess if i get one i'm gonna need to mod the HDD bay :?
Thats what this guy did.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=235

keiron

Post by keiron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:39 am

eoctanker wrote:I don't think you really need the stealth drives when you have a black area for the drives themselves. It is easy to match optical drives to the black face. Just make sure you pick up the black faceplate version of whatever drive you are planning on putting in the Solo. Unless you are moving stuff from another case that had another color, then you should be good to go.
I'm currently building a PC using the Solo, after reading positive reviews here. However, I'm a little disappointed after installing my apparently black NEC DVD drive. Next to the black blanking plates, it looks navy blue! Likewise, my old Sony drive does too.

The problem is that the blanking plates are jet black, whereas the drives aren't. This rather spoils the clean look.

Has anyone got any creative ideas as to how to get round this?

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:37 am

Spray it black or buy a new drive face (but these things are expensive for no good reason, IMO)

keiron

Post by keiron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 am

J. Sparrow wrote:Spray it black or buy a new drive face (but these things are expensive for no good reason, IMO)
Thanks, but likely as not the spray would be a different black too!

Such a shame that Antec haven't taken it upon themselves to deal with this. The P150 is a winner in this regard.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 am

If you use shiny paint, there should be no problem. You can use old faces from a previous case to make colour tests, anyway :)