Is smaller better for airflow?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Wildebeest

Is smaller better for airflow?

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:40 pm

I've been thinking of donwsizing my case on the assumption that a smaller case promotes more circulation with the same amount of CFM. The antec 2600 series comes to mind as an alternative to the sonata/3700 series. Right now I have a 1040 and I feel the extra space is just filling up with heat pockets that aren't being evacuated by my 80mm 5v panaflos.

Just curious to hear your thoughts?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:46 pm

That's a good question, and debatable. For sure too small is difficult to cool, but is there an ideal size? It probably depends on your fan number and size, and the effectiveness of your airflow.

The idea is to have most of the airflow traveling over the hot spots...but in reality there is no one answer to your question. :?

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:51 pm

It seems like integral calculus has a role to play here. Let me think about it for awhile after mulling over some old math books. Basically, because I find the 80mm size fans to be the best noise/airflow compromise, I'm trying to determine the optimum case for 3-4 80mm case fans (1-2xsystem, 1xPS, 1xCPU).

It just feels like rationally, a smaller case is better suited.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:15 am

I think shape is more important than size. In a smaller case of the same layout, the 'heat pockets' will only get smaller. That in turn will decrease their thermal mass and ability to conduct; the machine will be hotter.

Before you start switching cases, consider spending time with a manilla folder, a pair of scissors, and some tape. You might find you can nudge air into the corners and solve your problem. It was a struggle to do with my mini-ITX case--there's just no room. I purchased a cheapo mid-tower case and put the same parts into it just so I had space to get the airflow the way I wanted. The results were not pretty (I'm still fond of tiny cases), but the silence and reduced heat are worth it.

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:50 am

I have to agree with fancontrol, airflow and the routing thereof is more important than the size of the case. That being said, it's easier to rout airflow in a larger case than in a smaller. Though there are some small cases that are quite good (the Antec 1650 and 2600 BQE editions seem to have decent airflow in smaller sizes). I've found that cases that have 120mm exhausts or dual 80mm exhausts seem to do well no matter what size.

It takes more work (from my experience) to silence a smaller case than a larger case as the wires/drives/etc... take up a greater percentage of the space.

I've managed it in this case:
viewtopic.php?t=13888
but it was much more difficult than in my Antec.