Case cooling reconfig....

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Case cooling reconfig....

Post by Sizzle » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:15 pm

I had to replace my mobo tray in my Lian Li 6070 which gives me the opportunity to possibly reconfigure my fan setup and I am looking for some advice/opinions. Here is my current config.

No intake fans.
Two Nexus 80mm exhaust fans on the back of the case.
One Nexus 92mm top blowhole
80mm Nexus fan in my psu, I don't feel it really does any system exhaust with the top blowhole in the system.
The system is actually 2 degrees cooler with no intake than if I have 2 80mm Nexus fans on intake.
I also have a fan controller that I undervolt my exhaust fans to 7v.

Having to replace my mobo tray (won't go into the experiment that led to that) I can reduce the amount of exhaust because the tray has a mount for one 80mm fan (though I could cut it for two like the old one). I am going to keep the top blowhole and Nexus in the PSU. I was thinking about just sticking with one Nexus 80mm exhaust in the back and adding the two 80mm Nexus intakes in the front and seeing how the temps are. This is basically the stock config of the case with the addition of a 92mm blowhole at the top.

Alternatively, I could put a 92mm Nexus in the back with a small amount of cutting. I could also put a single 92mm in the front instead of two 80mm's as well with a slight amount of cutting.

Like I said, I am going to test with the 80's first, but I thought I would ask for opinions first if I started to get the urge to try the 92mm's at that would require further case cutting.

Also, I have no hard drives mounted behind the intake fans, my drives are suspended in 5.25 bays. I have a 92mm Nexus cooling my cpu, and a 40mm SilenX cooling my NB.

Sorry for the long post, but I've been messing with my config for a while now and I just want to get it done. I'm in the process of moving and have started to silence my wife's pc too. Any advice is welcome.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:04 am

The theory says that fans in series move as much air as the weakest. So a setup with 2x80mm intake and 80mm+92mm(top)+80mm(PSU) as exhaust will move only the the amount of air the 2x80mm lets into the case. That is considerably less air as the 3x80mm+92mm that move air in your current setup.
Sizzle wrote:80mm Nexus fan in my psu, I don't feel it really does any system exhaust with the top blowhole in the system.
Your PSU doesn't create air, so all the air the PSU fan moves must be system exhaust.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:44 am

The theory says that fans in series move as much air as the weakest. So a setup with 2x80mm intake and 80mm+92mm(top)+80mm(PSU) as exhaust will move only the the amount of air the 2x80mm lets into the case. That is considerably less air as the 3x80mm+92mm that move air in your current setup.
Thanks, that is a very helpful guideline.
Your PSU doesn't create air, so all the air the PSU fan moves must be system exhaust.
As little air as the Nexus moves and with my 92 mm blowhole directly in front of the PSU, I figured most of the exhaust at the top of the case was exiting via the blowhole and not the PSU in this config.

Zyrin

Post by Zyrin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:08 pm

Y are u guessing which one exhaust most of ur cases air and which air is cooler? I do not think you need to add another fan to ur system.. one fan in the back to exhaust is good enough. If u wanted more power i would add a larger fan in the back and if that is still not enough then exahust the air around ur PCI card area with a side fan or use it as an intake. after doing that if u want quiet, then dissipate the air that comes out. maybe u should even try turning the fan on top of ur case around. make it an even setup of 2 in and 2 out or 3 in and 2 out. try that

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:06 am

Well, from what Tibors stated, I think that if I am going to have intake, it needs to match the pressure of the exhaust. So, I will have one 80mm Nexus at 7v, blowhole Nexus 92mm at 7v, and a 80mm Nexus in my psu at between 7v and 12v (I think that is the range it runs the fan based on temp) exhausting. Should be around 40 cfm. I was thinking of running two 80mm Nexus fans at 12v's for intake. Can't really hear the intake fans on the Lian Li 6070 so running those Nexus at 12v won't bother me. I can't fit a 120mm fan in the intake spot, just 80's or two 92's.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:53 am

have you any piccies of your old setup

I have a 6070 as well :D
I have a passiive intake under the hard drive cage
I have tried the 92mm fan in the back but I reckon 2 undervolted 80mm fans are quieter
Last edited by ashtray_head on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:07 am

ashtray_head wrote:have you any piccies of your old setup

I have a passiive intake under the hard drive cage Will post my specs later when I get home :D
No pics of the old setup. I took off the grill and filter under the front of the case then dremeled out the bars that were in the intake hole. I took out my hard drive cage as my hard drives are mounted in the 5.25 bays. Then I cut a 80mm fan hole and mounting holes under the 80mm fan hole on the motherboard tray. Then I cut a 92mm blowhole in the top of the case basically centered between the psu and the back of my DVD ROM drive in the top 5.25 bay.

The way this case is designed, less noise will be let out from fans in the intake area then the fan on the back in the exhaust area.
Last edited by Sizzle on Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:23 am

Sizzle wrote:
ashtray_head wrote:have you any piccies of your old setup

I have a passiive intake under the hard drive cage Will post my specs later when I get home :D
No pics of the old setup. I took off the grill and filter under the front of the case then dremeled out the bars that were in the intake hole. I took out my hard drive cage as my hard drives are mounted in the 5.25 bays. Then I cut a 80mm fan hole and mounting holes under the 80mm fan hole on the motherboard try. Then I cut a 92mm blowhole in the top of the case basically centered between the psu and the back of my DVD ROM drive in the top 5.25 bay.

The way this case is designed, less noise will be let out from fans in the intake area then the fan on the back in the exhaust area.

I have some picces of mine
I'll post later

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:13 am

have found my old thread
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... light=6070

Pics on both pages :D