Silent kick drum case...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Silent kick drum case...

Post by mr. poopyhead » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:09 pm

this is CRAZY, and apparently designed to be quiet!
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/09/ ... age13.html
Spotswood claims that its case is so well made and dampened that it's actually quieter than many steel enclosures, and this is partly true. The back panel is indeed weighted enough to make it nearly silent, but the front panel is only dampened by the intake fan mount.
this may be a promising case if you get rid of the big 1600RPM LED fan at the front... the fact that they bothered to use nexus 92mms makes it seem as though they were fairly serious about building the case to be as quiet as possible. although perhaps the LED fan was a compromise for some bling factor...

possible SPCR review material?

ps. i HATE DST.... lousy america forcing us to have an extra month of DST.... DST is the DEVIL...

miahallen

a second look

Post by miahallen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:22 am

When I first saw this, I blew it off without taking a closer look. Now, after reading the review, I think I can put it back into the recycle bin. I don't like it...simply for the fact I hate bling! But, to each his own.
Spotswood might need to look at better-dampened intake fan mounting options, but users who think an inactive fan looks about as attractive as a third nipple can remove the fan and keep the grille and trim.
I think it's ridiculous to have a bling case with a 140mm fan that's not even running! And while taking it out and leaving the grill is an option, it seems there could be better options (like dampening the panel).

jhhoffma

Re: Silent kick drum case...

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 am

mr. poopyhead wrote: ps. i HATE DST.... lousy america forcing us to have an extra month of DST.... DST is the DEVIL...
Actually, you have one less month of DST now. DST is during the winter to preserve daylight during normal "working" hours. I figure most of the Canuks would be thankful that we've switched to the new dates, as it's supposedly for energy conservation which (supposedly) helps the environment and whatnot.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:28 pm

jhhoffma wrote:Actually, you have one less month of DST now. DST is during the winter to preserve daylight during normal "working" hours. I figure most of the Canuks would be thankful that we've switched to the new dates, as it's supposedly for energy conservation which (supposedly) helps the environment and whatnot.
Except that it will save precious little energy. It was tried during the "energy crisis" of the 70's to no effect. And the fact that you don't have to turn on the lights as early in the evening is counterballanced by the fact you have to turn them on earlier in the morning.

Add in teh cost of updating systems and equipment that isn't compatible and you increase the overall cost involved.

It's just another political illusion and our (Canadian) politicians are too damn cowardly to stand up and not brown nose.

This properly belongs in Off-Topic so we now return you to your normally scheduled channel :-).

oso

Post by oso » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Actually, you have one less month of DST now. DST is during the winter to preserve daylight during normal "working" hours.
I think you have that backwards. DST just started today. Some places refer to it as "summer time" to avoid such confusion.