It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Contemplating some P180 mods.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:38 pm 

I'm thinking of doing a few mods to my P180. The largest is enlarging the top fan exhaust hole to fit a 140mm fan. I need to take some measurements, but I think it will work well. Actually, I might try to use dual 140mm fans in the top if it seems practical.

In addition to that I want to work out some better cable routing. Has anyone figgured out a way to run cables behind the motherboard tray?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:42 pm 

i figured a way but i havent done it cuz im not that picky.... u have to cut parts out of the back of the mother board tray because the side panel on that side doesnt leave enough room to run the 24 pin cable up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 pm 
Patron of SPCR

i dunno what kinda components you have... but i found that cutting the grilles off the holes already gives you quite a bit of extra airflow from the 120mms.... 140mm may be unnecessary... maybe something you can try before you do something as drastic as that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:15 am 

I haven't yet ordered my P180, so I could be misunderstanding the layout slightly, but...

Couldn't you run the cables (even the 24-pin ATX) behind the motherboard tray with the right-side panel removed, thread the cable around the top/front edge of the tray as desired, and then put the panel back on? If the size of the connector is the limiting factor, rather than the thickness of the cable itself, then this should work. I can't quite see in the pictures whether there is any space between the top of the tray and the ceiling of the case.

This is one of the reasons I might want to hold off until the P182 comes out. I see this case as something that I would continue to reuse for years as long as hardware designs don't change radically, so it might be worth waiting for the "2.0" revision that fixes the minor flaws in the original design.