How should I avoid scratches when building in the P180?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

blunden

How should I avoid scratches when building in the P180?

Post by blunden » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:39 pm

How should I avoid scratches on the sidepanels when building in the P180? Can I simply remove the "other" side or should I lay the case on something soft, that at the same time don't get charged up with ESD? What would that be in that case?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:57 pm

I find it easiest to install the motherboard, CPU heatsink, memory, etc. with the case laying on it's side. I usually lay it on a pillow or blanket. Never had a problem with ESD. Just use common sense (i.e. don't shuffle across a shag carpet floor in your socks and touch the CPU die...) and you should be fine.

amplemind

Post by amplemind » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Instructions tell you to remove the other side.

darthan

Post by darthan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Put it on a blanket or a carpet but leave it plugged in. Just flip the PSU switch to off. This will ground it because the third (ground) wire from the wall socket is just attached to the PSU case which is in turn in electrical contact with the steel case. Oh, did I mention put in the PSU first? (You kinda have to anyway, it's the only thing that absolutely requires the other side panel be off). Then just make sure you come into regular contact with the grounded steel of the case and all will be well. (Remember kids, if you see someone rubbing his computer it could be that he loves it that much, or he could just be paranoid about static).

Oh, and in direct response to your question, yes you can remove the other side. Just unscrew the three hex-headed screws on the back end of the side panel and it will come off just like the one with the thumbscrews.

Oh, and if this is your first time with the P180, good luck, go slow, and enjoy it, she's a special experience.

blunden

Post by blunden » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:17 am

amplemind wrote:Instructions tell you to remove the other side.
I guess I'll just do that then. I just hope my cables are long enough.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:30 pm

amplemind wrote:Instructions tell you to remove the other side.

Instructions??????? :wink:

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 pm

If you're really paranoid, wrap your tools in a thin layer of tape and put masking tape over areas that you will work around. Like the edges around the side panels for instance, in case you slip while trying to put things back together.

Work on a carpeted floor or a tablecloth and be careful with gripping/rubbing the case too hard with your hands.

blunden

Post by blunden » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:10 am

I simply removed the sidepanels and lay the chassi down on a sheet to avoid scratching or put pressure on the plastic part of the front that is sticking out a bit with the sidepanels removed.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:07 pm

I found it a lot easier to build with both side panels off. For one thing, it makes cable routing rather easier.

You have to remove the other side to install the power supply, at least - can't unscrew/screw up the bracket that goes over the power supply without taking the far side off.

You might find it easier still if you remove the door (I didn't try). If so, you've removed all the panels that have the "protective" film on them, so that's gotta reduce the risk. Just don't put them where they can get scratched or bent :)