Antec P180 drive trays - are these defective?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dodecahedron

Antec P180 drive trays - are these defective?

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:55 pm

the trays of the upper HD chamber apprear to be "bent". the vertical sides of the tray aren't perpendicular to the bottom of the tray but bend slightly inwards (one of them is simply bent!). i took a few pics to show what i mean:

first tray:

second tray:

are everyone's trays' vertical sides bent inwards like that or is it just mine ?

note: the pics are of the 'front' end of the tray. however i might add that also from the back side - where the tray clips are, you notice this angularity. i saw it right away as soon as i opened the case door and looked at the upper drive cage.

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:06 pm

I presume you mean the small 90 degree bend to form a "lip" at the top of the tray. That is proper and adds strength to the tray (against "twisting motion.")

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:27 pm

no, that's not what i had meant. the small 'lip' at the top - that's normal, part of the design (except for the bending in the second pic - that's obviously a defect).
what i mean is: if you look at the pics carefully, you'll see that the vertical sides of the tray aren't at 90° to the bottom of the tray, but slightly bent "inwards" - they are kind of "leaning in", the top of the side is slightly closer to the center than the bottom of the side.
(hope i've explained it better now).

i expected the sides of the tray to be perpendicular to the bottom - exactly at right angles. they're not. and i wanted to know if it's a flaw in my particular case, or that's the way they always are.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:37 pm

Hello,

Do these trays fit in their bays, and are they snug? If so, then I would not let the tweaked sides bother you -- life is too short! :wink:

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:40 pm

alas that is not the only thing amiss.
when the case arrived, the 38x120mm fan of the lower bay was not in its bracket - it was loosly lying next to the PSU bracket.
when i placed it in it's bracket - it doesn't fit quite snugly - it moves a bit when pushed with the hand. i'm concerned it will rattle.

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:10 pm

dodecahedron wrote:alas that is not the only thing amiss.
when the case arrived, the 38x120mm fan of the lower bay was not in its bracket - it was loosly lying next to the PSU bracket.
when i placed it in it's bracket - it doesn't fit quite snugly - it moves a bit when pushed with the hand. i'm concerned it will rattle.
sounds like you got a dodgy manufactured case. for the fans, try getting a hold of some of the silica mounting grommets that come with SilenX fans, should keep them nice and snug

blunden

Post by blunden » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:29 am

Return it to the store and ask to get a new one.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:39 am

A loose fan is hardly worth complaining about. Use pliers to straighten the tray if you want to. Take some initiative.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:43 pm

vertigo wrote:Take some initiative.
damn!
i was just asking if that's the way it's supposed to be, if that's the way everyone's trays are!

i didn't bother with all of the details - the inside of the two side panels were also dented in a couple of places and there were some markings - dirt?
also on various parts of the case - trays, HD cages, the aluminum looked scratched (for want of a better word) - the silver aluminum color was marked with dark streaks, looked like the cages for instance have been pulled out and shoved back in many times...

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:02 am

Ok, if it looks significantly inferior, return it. It just sounded like you were moaning about a piece of metal being skew and a fan bracket being loose.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:57 am

Dude, you scored a lemon. Call Antec and tell them your money bought a better case than the junk you received, and get it replaced. There are just too many issues with the one you were sent.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:10 am

Sometimes manufacturers refurbish an item which was returned, however there should be strict quality criteria for selling a refurbished case as a new one. I am not saying the supplier did this, I really don't know what they did, but it certainly sounds inferior, so return it.

My old boss bought a 1600W amplifier, and when it arrived it was perfect in every detail except that one led was pushed in slightly (by about 1mm). You could still see it, it worked fine and the 'problem' had nothing to do with the sound at all. You buy an amplifier for the sound.

Anyway, he insisted on returning it. To me, he was being utterly stupid. I just think that sometimes people blow things way out of proportion.