Recommend a case with 1394 (Firewire) access

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

1HandClapping

Recommend a case with 1394 (Firewire) access

Post by 1HandClapping » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:43 pm

What case would you guys recommend with 1394 and USB2 front access?

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:01 am

Need more information -- what is your price range? What form factor do you need -- mini-tower, micro-tower, SFF, server tower, desktop, etc. What color and material preferences do you have? What kind of external access do you need? Do you want/need side-windows?

My generic reference case is the gMono from AMS Electronics. Looks good, small, easy to work on, has front USB and FireWire, and it's inexpensive at NewEgg ($45).

1HandClapping

Post by 1HandClapping » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:39 am

BaconTastesGood wrote:Need more information -- what is your price range? What form factor do you need -- mini-tower, micro-tower, SFF, server tower, desktop, etc. What color and material preferences do you have? What kind of external access do you need? Do you want/need side-windows?

My generic reference case is the gMono from AMS Electronics. Looks good, small, easy to work on, has front USB and FireWire, and it's inexpensive at NewEgg ($45).
One of the top contenders is the gTower aluminum from AMS. It looks very similar to their steel case. One concern I had about both cases is that the front acrylic face looks like it is pretty restrictive on air flow in.

I could try to router out the area but I am worried about causing visible stress marks on the acrylic.

I am willing to spend about $110 (USD) on the case with out PSU. I will probably get the Nexus. I know AMS has a reputation of being a pretty tight fit for the PSU.

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:30 pm

I love my gMono, not familiar with the gTower. The acrylic shouldn't be that big a problem, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It was a tight fit for my Antec TruePower, that's for sure, but it actually did work. There are a lot of reviews of the gMono out there.