Carpet padding for case damping"

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Carpet padding for case damping"

Post by jamoore9 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:44 am

I have a big Ahanix Noblesse case (11 bays total) that I've been thinking about damping. I thought carpet padding would work well. Anybody used this? Also, it would get pretty complicated to try and cut it to cover all of the inside walls: do you think I would get a measureable difference by just wrapping the 2 side and top and bottom walls (leaving the entirety of the front and rear walls not already occupied with fans, PSU, IO, drives, etc, uncovered). Or do I have to get intricate?
Last edited by jamoore9 on Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:01 pm

Do you mean carpet underlay? Im using carpet underlay on both sides of my case. I also have a layer of dynamat type mass damping under the underlay. The sides are now very heavy! Wish i had a digi camera cos it looks pretty good :) It was a while ago i did it but i think it did make a difference, by pretty much killing case vibration and absorbing some airborne noise.

Dont worry about every little surface; sides, top and bottom should be plenty.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:32 pm

Yeah, I did mean underlay. And thanks! If there is at least one satisfied customer out there, then it should work.

I, too, was thinking about using it in conjunction with damper, but I was going to use that Brown Bread stuff. Glad to hear that it will work! Thanks!