Server case used for gaming

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GamingGod

Server case used for gaming

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:35 am

I have this old dell poweredge case that has the mobo mounted upside down. This places the cpu at the bottom with a 120mm right beside it for exhaust. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the bottom of the case right under the cpu heatsink for cool air intake where it would go across the heatsink and then be imidiately exhausted out the back 120mm fan. The only problem is, the way the mobo is mounted there isnt an agp slot on the back (there are only 6 card slots on this case/ not 7 like most cases have). Anyways do you think it would be worth it to use this case, I know I definately would have to do some serious modding but I think it would turn out good, and best of all i wouldnt need any holes in the front or sides of the case, Cool air from the bottom, hot air out the back.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:37 am

Oh yea and another thing about it, is it has a different front panel connecter than the standard atx one, all the on button/leds are connected through this one 8 wire connector i think its called wtx or something? anyone know of how i could mod the power button to work for a standard atx mobo?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:08 am

GamingGod wrote:Oh yea and another thing about it, is it has a different front panel connecter than the standard atx one, all the on button/leds are connected through this one 8 wire connector i think its called wtx or something? anyone know of how i could mod the power button to work for a standard atx mobo?
All you have to do is pull all the wires out of the one piece connector, trace them back to their respective switch/LED and then plug them into the correct MoBo headers individually.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:27 am

yea i thought of that, but is there any danger in doing that? i mean if i guess wrong is it gonna hurt the mobo? And by the way after reinspecting the case, it would be easier to not cut through the bottom as it has great airflow already and plus it is really think steal and would be pretty difficult to cut through.

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:44 am

Just a word of advice: remember that Dell PSUs are not ATX PSUs, so don't use a Dell PSU with an ATX motherboard.